Notices
View Poll Results: Who did you tell about your decision to get sober? (check all that apply)
No one!
40.00%
Just my significant other
26.67%
My immediate family
25.00%
Friends & coworkers
10.00%
I told the world!!
6.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Who did you tell?

Old 07-15-2021, 11:56 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Just my parents and brother but mostly because I was at their house in 2017 when suddenly I went from fine to jelly legs\extreme shaking\pulse over 300 and had to be taken to the ER for 3 days. They knew I kept relapsing and everyone I knows since thinks I quit drinking last July, a year now... Yet I probably only have less than 30 days sober in the past year and thats not even a streak, just 1 day here and there. Too embarrassing to tell people all over again, working on staying sober for real this time on my own.
Old 07-16-2021, 08:09 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Just my wife. Eventually a few others *very* close to me know the primary reason I abstain (that I am an alcoholic).

Most people in my life (co-workers, extended family, friends) know it's because of my health issues that I avoid alcohol and many foods (crohns disease and an inflammatory response to alcohol. Alcohol throws me into flares and could literally kill me).

Sometimes it feels like a bit of a cop-out to lead with the doctor's recommendation that I avoid alcohol, but it works, and nobody in my life pressures me to drink anymore. In fact they're very supportive. I think there's a part of me that's still ashamed of the addiction, so I'm not public about it.
Old 08-02-2021, 06:50 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I tried to remain as private as possible. Before I quit, I told a close friend that I was pretty sure I had a drinking problem. He reassured me that I did not. A few months later I finally quit after trying all the usual pre quit tactics. But I didn't tell anyone for a few weeks, until I again confided to that one friend that I had quit and had a some weeks under my belt. Surprisingly he displayed relief, so I think he must have processed my earlier confession and was inclined to be supportive, rather than reassuring. After a few months, I began to tell others I was close to and had various reactions that covered just about all the reactions you could think of. I had a surprisingly high approval from some of the worst drunks I had previously hung out with. My ex was surprisingly uninterested, even though we were still friends.