Notices

Day one again

Old 06-13-2021, 06:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day one again

Well I'm starting again. I'm so tired of being sick and tired. I'm exhausted from living a life of active addiction. I see clearly now that I can't make my life better without being sober. I don't know how but I'm going to improve my life. O really don't know what I want. But I don't want what I've currently have. I'm done wasting time getting loaded. My goal is getting to feeling physically better, then once I feeling better then I will figure out what to do. You can't fix your life with a brain that's confused and tired.
David
Old 06-13-2021, 06:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Consider making a recovery action plan David.
I think its worth it.

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Basically a recovery plan is a plan to help you stop drinking/drugging and stay stopped.

Things like exercise and hobbies should be a part of just about every recovery plan - but I really believe we also need to specifically address the drinking/drugging too.

Think about changes you need to make to your life.

Not only changes what you do for fun, the places you hang out and who you hang with, but also deeper change.

No matter what you drink or used for - stress or boredom, anger, joy, physical or emotional pain - you need new coping mechanisms to deal with all those things.

you also need to anticipate those times when you will want to drink or use, or when drink/drugs will be offered to you.

Have a strategy in place for dealing with those situations.

Ask for help here if you're not sure what to do or how to do it

All this can be difficult - which is why support is so important.

It might be a Dr or a counsellor, or a group like AA SMART LifeRing or some other alternative...it might be outpatient or inpatient rehab - it might just be SR and other forums/chat rooms...

Find a level of support than works for you, and that you are willing to reach out when you're in trouble.

cover these bases, and you'll have the beginnings of a great plan.

This is an easy to read but detailed link which fills out the ideas a little more:
https://web.archive.org/web/20180728...0/SMA-3720.pdf

D
Old 06-13-2021, 08:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

You are in the right place if you seek getting sober 100. I would agree with Dee though, having a plan in place first is really the best way to go about it. You woudn't draw the blueprint for a house after you started building it, right?
Old 06-13-2021, 08:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks I hadn't thought of a plan. For me not being able to sleep can be a huge triggere in the sense I get really sleep deprived then make a bad choice when I'm feeling desperate and pesamiatic. Also I need to find a healthy way to deal with intrusive thoughts related to anxiety.

One idea I have is take a bath after work instead of drinking to relax, since feeling anxious after work is big trigger. Then do things at night i enjoy which are incompatible with drinking/using. I also need to figure out activities to do on days off. The other is get outside of comfort zone which terrifies me. I'm socially phobic which has been made worse by the pandemic. But I'm terrible lonely so I'm going to have do something about having no friends. I realize that using is just a way to feel okay doing nothing. Except it has stopped working. I used to use and drink with others at party's but now it's always alone and sad and pathetic. I also have promised my self I will post before I use. I'm also going to come clean to psych med doctor the extent of my using/,drinking. I've been less than forthright with her. That's it for now.
David
Old 06-14-2021, 04:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sounds like the beginnings of a plan!

The 1st year for me was mostly staying sober.
I'm in my 2nd year now and I am starting to work on other things now that I am better focused.

Everyone is different but it took me a while to get past just staying sober before I could take on other issues.

Only way to get better is Do Not Drink. Ever. For any reason. After that things will come to view.

It ain't easy but it is So worth it
Old 06-14-2021, 05:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Beginnings of a good plan 100...congrats on a great decision.
Old 06-15-2021, 04:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

David how are you doing?