Notices

substitutes for alochol? Kava tea? Kin?

Old 06-11-2021, 03:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

substitutes for alochol? Kava tea? Kin?

Anyone have any substitutes for alcohol that can help calm or put you in a positive mood? i see alot of kava products on amazon im specifically looking for a powder or something to drink like a tea. im not sure whats a good product to buy i have bought a kava suppliment before but noticed no effects unfortunatley. there was another called Kin Euphorics can someone give some ideas? i cant drink regular teas with caffigne in them they only give me anxiety thanks i figured this would be a good place to ask
Old 06-11-2021, 04:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Karthas

I know you want solutions but looking for something as a substitute for alcohol/something to 'put you in a positive mood'and planning on self medicating with it, might not be the best way to go.

I know you've said you have some medications you're on, or coming off of...just my laymans opinion but I really think seeing your Dr is the best step forward.

D
Old 06-11-2021, 05:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Karthas View Post
...i have bought a kava suppliment before but noticed no effects unfortunatley.
What effects are you looking for? Euphoria without alcohol? That chase for feeling good, for euphoria from a substance is why most of us are here...in recovery from one addiction or another. Careful what you are looking for.
Old 06-11-2021, 06:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah I would be careful with that. If your anything like me and I'm sure others here and have a natural affinity for anything mind altering I think your entering into the danger zone.
Old 06-11-2021, 07:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I did drink lots of tea in the beginning of my sobriety this go round. I had such severe anxiety and angst. I needed to replace the alcohol with something else when I got off work. When we remove something from our lives that was habitual and addictive there is a void. I did need to fill that void with healthier non mind altering drinks and options....
-Chamomile Tea
- Yogi kava Tea
- Tulsi Holy Basil Tea

Along with the tea, I took a bath every single night to calm my nerves and to settle down. I attended meetings in the beginning. The structure allowed me to be on autopilot until I felt better. I do not drink hot tea now as the weather has warmed up and I have moved onto various other kinds of drinks.....San Pellegrino Clementina soda anyone?

I cant comment on the medications thing.... I can only say what has and still does work for me!
Old 06-11-2021, 07:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah I'll take one of those sodas....I like to mix Perrier and fruit juice...it's refreshing lol
Old 06-11-2021, 07:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boondock View Post
Yeah I'll take one of those sodas....I like to mix Perrier and fruit juice...it's refreshing lol
YES! I get into that too. Perrier and Fruit Juice for the WIN! So refreshing!
I've also been known to get some mint from the yard and throw that in a drink or two.
It looks fancy but its not so practical. No one wants to be eating mint leaves while trying to have a refreshing drink.....haha!
Old 06-12-2021, 06:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Better late than never

Sorry but there really isn't anything like that. There's herbal teas that you can drink that helps relax you before bed but as far as substitutes to alcohol no such luck. I got a recipe for a honey drink that's called soft mead that's pretty good though.
Old 06-12-2021, 08:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Same substitute i had when I was using, exercise. For decades it has given me a feeling of ease and comfort. I think even when I was a little kid and playing sports it relieved the restless, irritable, discontent. Thing is, back then I didn't realize it was exercise or had caught on to how my case of restless, irritable and discontent worked. I didnt understand the tinder box in me that would explode once I found drugs & alcohol. I just knew I had feelings of impending doom and wasn't quite like other kids. Class clown, kicked out of schools, etc. I felt that I had absolutely no control over whether or not I get suspended from school today. Looking back though I think the periods of serenity I did have as little kid were after exercise.

Through more then the last decade of my using I was not drinking daily. Back then I felt I had 3 possible ways of getting through a day of being me. Run, lift weights, or drink. If something messed up my running or lifting schedule then I needed to drink. Thank God I didn't have too many injuries, they would lead to weeks of drinking every night. Sometimes I would run or lift and then drink, even routinely when I was younger. When I got older and needed to clean up my diet I realized that as long as I worked out I didn't really need a drink that night.

I carried that into recovery and it helped me get started. Thank God I'm sober because in my mid 40s injuries are much more common but now I can handle without drinking and putting on a bunch of weight.

Exercise triggers natural brain chemicals some how. Figure what the human brain evolved from, hunters, warriors and such. I think the brain needs some physical stress or it goes nuts. I don't think the brain's evolution has 100% caught up to the times that we live in.
Old 06-12-2021, 09:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Losts of good suggestions here Karthas - and yes, unfortunately we can't have our cake and eat it too. Addiction is by some definitions the inability for us to stop using external chemicals/forces to replace our natural pleasure seeking mechanisms. AKA, using alcohol ( or any other substance ) to escape or seek pleasure is the problem - and the substance used to get there really doesn't matter so much.

There are certainly some instances in life where drugs can be used effectively to reduce pain ( surgery, major injuries, etc ) but usually drugs are only used for a short period of time and in a very well prescribed manner to achieve a temporary result.

Our addiction is also an attempt to avoid facing other realities that cause us mental pain, and again it's an avoidance measure to use a drug to erase a condition that will still exist when we sober up. There are lots of great suggestions here as to things we can do to help with the physical side of things, and there are many things we can do to help with our mental state too - counseling, reading, meditation, etc. But part of it too is that our addiction craves instant gratification in any way, but life just doesn't work that way. At some point we have to accept that feeling "bad" or "bored" is really a state of mind that we need to find ways to change ourselves, not via something we drink, smoke or inject.
Old 06-12-2021, 10:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

As others have said, you likely won't find anything. I think the best thing is accepting mood changes and finding ways to navigate life that are healthy.

Yoga and meditation are great ways to calm yourself and to focus on mind, body and spirit. And, I find that exercise, for me it's hiking/long walks, always improve my mood.
Old 06-16-2021, 11:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Back when I was into the herbs I used to drink valerian root tea! I would also take valerian root capsules too for relaxation and sleep!

But only drink or take these before bed! They really do work as a natural herb and will relax and get you sleepy! Don’t take or drink if you have to drive or be alert!
Old 06-18-2021, 06:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by uncle holmes View Post
Back when I was into the herbs I used to drink valerian root tea! I would also take valerian root capsules too for relaxation and sleep!

But only drink or take these before bed! They really do work as a natural herb and will relax and get you sleepy! Don’t take or drink if you have to drive or be alert!
A quick reminder that our forum rules prohibit medical advice, even as it regards natural/OTC supplements. Sharing experience is fine, but recommending any specific substance for a specific outcome would be something you'd want to seek advice from a doctor on. Many natural supplements can have serious side effects/negative interactions with other drugs too.
Old 06-18-2021, 06:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Anyone have any substitutes for alcohol that can help calm or put you in a positive mood?

Daily Exercise.
Old 06-18-2021, 01:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

How’s it going Karthas?

D
Old 06-20-2021, 06:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
Anyone have any substitutes for alcohol that can help calm or put you in a positive mood?

Daily Exercise.
^^^^This. Plus staying super-hydrated, especially in the early days. I keep my empty Gatorade bottles, fill them 2/3 full of water and freeze them. Take one out and fill the rest of the way with cold water. Soon you'll have a big ice cube in there and I'll keep topping it off. Ice cold water is great in this warmer weather.