Notices

I binged again

Old 07-04-2021, 12:54 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  
nez

I read some posts and I think: is this about me or is it actually about them?
Whatever I hear or read in a recovery setting, whether it is about me,or them, or how their cat threw up a hairball, or how the person in front of them at the grocery store was in the 9 item checkout line and they had at least 25 items, or etc, can tell me a lot about me if i pay attention to my reaction to whatever they are sharing. Some people show me what i want. Some people show me what I don't want. But they all, tell me a lot about me.

When you talk, you are only repeating what you already know. But if you listen, you may learn something new. Dalai Lama
Old 07-04-2021, 06:37 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

I had a moment early on in my recovery here where I needed to have some space from peoples thoughts and needed to center myself in my life and what I thought about my life. I mean, I am the one living my life.

There was too much information coming at me and too much to process. I was moving forward in a pace that was good for me. Dealing with my life in a way that was good for me. Making decisions that were good for me. Gaining control over my emotional state and anxiety was a very very hard task and I had to listen to myself first and foremost before I took in anyone's opinion on what I should or should not be doing. Not saying you are doing that Briansy.

I am saying that we all have our timeframe with sobriety. We all have our truths. Your truth is different from mine. Its the same with everyone. I commend you for speaking your truth and for asking for space. Do what works for you no matter what. So, in closing .....(cause I feel like I am in court with Dropsie right now ) Speak your truth and keep on speaking that truth! The truth will set you free!

(leaves the witness stand while blowing on a kazoo. Top hat blows off while the doors dramatically shut behind. End scene.)
Old 07-18-2021, 04:48 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Well, I'm nearly at a month and have been going strong lately. I played golf this morning and just now as I was leaving one of the guys at our table in the clubhouse was talking about how he was going to be settling into a couple of bottles of Rose while watching the British Open golf final round today. Out of nowhere it got the addiction ramped into overdrive. I am trying to remember AVRT and seeing it for what it clearly is, bit figured I would post here too. I actually pulled over from driving to post as I was so worried I would stop and buy booze! So that's me. Hope everyone is well...
Old 07-18-2021, 04:59 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Briansy View Post
I am trying to remember AVRT and seeing it for what it clearly is...
All you have to remember is you don't drink. Period.

Anything else is the addiction. That's AVRT in a nutshell.
Old 07-18-2021, 06:34 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

I like it Carl.

Got a Ben and Jerry's on my way home. Always helps to fill the stomach...
Old 07-18-2021, 06:43 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  

That is so well done dear B

Also, I think your friend has a problem. Even the fact that he is bragging about settling into a couple of bottles of wine is a worry.
Old 07-18-2021, 06:57 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
That is so well done dear B

Also, I think your friend has a problem. Even the fact that he is bragging about settling into a couple of bottles of wine is a worry.
And even if he enjoys it, it doesn't mean I would. (I wouldn't).
Old 07-18-2021, 07:47 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Briansy View Post
And even if he enjoys it, it doesn't mean I would. (I wouldn't).
Whether he enjoys it or not is also AV like Carl says. Remember, you don't drink so the question of whether or not you would enjoy drinking is pure AV too.
Old 07-18-2021, 12:12 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  

That's how ya do it.

Don't drink no matter what

Who cares what anyone else does
Old 07-18-2021, 09:37 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Thats great news Briansy. So happy you are feeling and doing well.
Old 07-19-2021, 05:12 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Briansy,

Did you watch the Open with your B&J -- I was rooting for OH, but when he dropped down I was full on Morikawa -- Speith is a great golfer, but this is a more fun result -- I think you mentioned that you thought he might double and so he did.

Keepa go friend.
Old 07-20-2021, 12:50 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dropsie View Post
Briansy,

Did you watch the Open with your B&J -- I was rooting for OH, but when he dropped down I was full on Morikawa -- Speith is a great golfer, but this is a more fun result -- I think you mentioned that you thought he might double and so he did.

Keepa go friend.
Hi Dropsie, good to hear from you. I did indeed watch the Open and I loved it! The B&J provided temporary distraction which was fine and Phish food is just a magnificent creation - but the stuff is evil - need to keep away from it!!

You know, I don't tend to root for guys like Louis only because I feel like he's had his day in the sun before (I saw him at St Andrews in 2011) - also, I want to track and be inspired by real greatness and so Morikawa is definitely more in my wheel house. Louis doesn't really perform week in, week out on the PGA tour and has won very little. Collin put on a masterclass in performing under the greatest pressure on Sunday without making a single mistake. I was in awe of how well he handled himself and I think he will push ahead in his career from here - only if he keeps the putter hot though. Jordan put up an incredible fight. That guy has grit and guile to burn. Something about his personality rubs me up the wrong way though. Maybe ever so slightly a lack of humility? But you could also say that is an unshakeable belief in his abilities - after all the elite level athletes all have that edge don't they?

Still, without Tiger these events are greatly diminished. Now the majors are over I will say some prayers that Tiger will make good progress with rehab and be back on the course next year. I believe it is physically possible - just. And I believe he wants it and will work for it. Let's see!

Separately, re: sobriety, a few things happened yesterday, small things really in the grand scheme of things, that didn't go my way. And I really reacted badly to them. In terms of how much I let the anxiety run riot through me. It's an exhausting sensation and one that needs addressing. It is also a reminder that if I don't stay sober, I will forever remain in this limbo state of trying to get past those feelings and on to the next phase of my sober life. The one where I'm a bit more stable and content.

"I don't drink". That's a pretty simple mantra.
Old 07-20-2021, 12:50 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  

I see it's July 20th today. One calendar month today. Woohoo!
Old 07-20-2021, 02:27 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Thats great Briansy and another sunny beautiful day for it.