Notices

Best Book?

Old 06-05-2021, 07:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Best Book?

Hey
I have a q for you all....

If you could recommend one book to help someone stay sober from alcohol which would it be? If I get a clear winner I'll defo get that one!
Old 06-05-2021, 08:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello JaseUK,

I am only speaking for myself, I have been an alcoholic basically for the past 18 years (36 now), starting a new journey.

In the past 'year' that's where I was really starting to try think about things very clearly, this alcoholism isnt helping at all (mentally, physically, spiritually).

Certain methods work for people and am not discounting any others, but what I found most useful for ME was two youtube channels I came across (Stop drinking expert and Sober Leon).

The premise is to understand what alcohol is 1) Poison and 2) Alcohol has no benefits 3) Society puts a stigma on alcohol (which is drug with huge marketing value to think its a 'good' thing to do.
Old 06-05-2021, 08:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Howdy, you always have the three classics: The Big Book, The Twelve and Twelve and Sober Living....If your opposed to AA for any reason there is still a wealth of valuable info in those books for our condition.
Old 06-05-2021, 09:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Better late than never

2 of my go to books in recovery in the early days.

Living Sober Sucks (but Living Drunk Sucks More) by Mark Tuschel
Don't let the Bastards Grind you down by Georgia W.

Old 06-05-2021, 10:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am really getting benefit from “Alcohol Explained”.
Old 06-05-2021, 01:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boondock View Post
Howdy, you always have the three classics: The Big Book, The Twelve and Twelve and Sober Living....If your opposed to AA for any reason there is still a wealth of valuable info in those books for our condition.
The big book and 12 & 12 can easily be found for free online. The big book has to be the Godfather of all sober books. Not that AA is the only way to get sober. Not that's its necessarily the best way for everyone to get sober. It is has worked for for millions though. It was breakthrough stuff back then and it's quite relevant now. Even today I think a lot of professionals may have difficulty getting their arms around the alcoholic mind.

The 12 & 12 is more material on the steps. I guess in a perfect world they would have merged the literature from the 12 & 12 into the first 164 pages of the BB.

I would suggest not comparing your drinking to people in the BB but look for what you have in common. My drinking or or my life was nothing like Bill's story but I have similarities to Bill.

Old 06-05-2021, 01:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

10% happier is one of my favorite ( Dan Harris ) although it speaks to both anxiety and addiction.

Having said that, you can't "outthink" addiction unfortunately, even though most of us have tried mightily. I found myself wanting to research addiction to the N'th power and really what I was doing was trying to figure out how to cure it - and then return to normal drinking. Accepting my addiction for what it is was the first and necessary step..
Old 06-05-2021, 02:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'd recommend Your Erroneous Zones by Dr Wayne Dyer, another good one of his is Pulling Your Own Strings. I feel sure you would benefit from reading these.
Old 06-05-2021, 03:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Rar

DEFINITELY (for me), “This Naked Mind” by Annie Grace and “Alcohol Explained” by William Porter.

Each of the authors has podcasts too.
Old 06-05-2021, 04:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Scd619x View Post
I'd recommend Your Erroneous Zones by Dr Wayne Dyer, another good one of his is Pulling Your Own Strings. I feel sure you would benefit from reading these.
I literally read that as 'Your Erogenous Zones' ! I was trying to think of the connection until I read it properly 😅.
Old 06-05-2021, 05:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I got a lot out of Allen Carrs 'How to Stop Drinking' but the 'but wait there's more...later in the book' approach he uses doesn't jibe with everyone. 'Kick the Drink Easily' by Jason Vale has much the same ideas in it and may resonate better with you Jase.

D
Old 06-05-2021, 05:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My two favorite influential books are not specifically about recovery or addiction, but they describe how to live a logical, contented, and peaceful life. The first one is The Daily Stoic, by Ryan Holiday and Stephen Hanselman. It explains the philosophy of Stoicism and how to incorporate in your daily life. The second one is Being Peace, by the Buddhist monk, Thich Nhat Hanh. Wonderful book full of lessons in living a peaceful happy life.
Old 06-05-2021, 07:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The AA Big book, and the 12&12.
Old 06-06-2021, 03:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Rar

I just finished Allen Carr’s, “The Easy Way for Women to Quit Drinking”. While much of this book had merit, I felt he dumbed the material down for the reader, such as referring to the Big Monster and the Little Monster. He also seemed to trivialize withdrawals, citing them as minor nuisances and if we were truly committed to not drinking, we would barely notice them. It seemed to me that he was saying that if we had withdrawals or cravings and considered drinking to relieve them, we needed to go back and read the book again. However, his methods for smoking, weight loss, drinking, etc have helped millions of people and the book reviews on quitting alcohol were outstanding.
Old 06-06-2021, 04:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
quat

Rational Recovery:The New Cure For Substance Addiction by J.Trimpey
Old 06-06-2021, 05:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have seen The Unexpected Joy of Being Sober by Catherine Gray recommended on many recovery websites.