Notices

Day 3

Old 05-26-2021, 05:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Day 3

Well I've made it to day 3.
Here are a few thoughts / observations:

1/ If I give up drink for good (I'm thinking about it but still unsure) I'm gonna tell my mum. She's doesn't know I'm alcoholic (she would worry about me too much) but does know I drink to excess sometimes. I know she'll be proud of me because her brother was an alcoholic and caused issues and she doesn't like alcohol.

2/ After a couple of days I'm beginning to think not drinking at all is easier than trying to moderate (some of you have suggested that as well). Cause I'm of the mindset where if I drink 1 I want 2 which leads to 3, then 4... I think some of you guys are the same?

3/ This morning I noticed my eyes were really bloodshot. Might not be related to drinking or stopping but just throwing it out there.
Old 05-26-2021, 05:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yeah, I think you'll hear from all of us on here that drinking in moderation doesn't work. We all wanted to, "drink like a gentleman," (from AA's book) but we didn't really want to. What's the point in one or two? I wanted that euphoric effect and then I'd chase it all day and night.

It is MUCH easier to not drink at all. Ever.

As far as telling people I don't drink - I did tell my family, but they really didn't pay much attention and continued to offer me drinks any time I was with them. That was a little annoying

Welcome to Day Three!
Old 05-26-2021, 06:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Jase, have you seen the "Class of..." threads? That was my home-base when I was newly sober. It's good to have the input and experiences of people who are quitting at about the same time.

Here's the May 2021 thread.
Old 05-26-2021, 06:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Im 1000% unable to have 1 drink. Something takes over and then its off to the races. Something? Its the alcoholic part of myself.
That part does not have any control as long as I do not drink. I think its great you are considering long term abstinence. Its a personal choice and one that is not made easily.....As you can see people really struggle with their drinking careers.
Old 05-26-2021, 07:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great job on day 3 Jase. If you have been spending more time on the internet that may be making your eyes bloodshot (dry eye).

I was not a heavy drinker (3-4 usually, a bit more when younger), but I was dependent on it to soothe my restlessness and irritability. Nonetheless, it really created problems over time, so I always tried to reduce it to one or two. Or only when dining out, or on vacation.

I couldn't do it.

ANY AMOUNT OF ALCOHOL.. always took me right back to the daily drinking. Which inevitably led to other issues - anxiety, laziness, bad decisions, bad relationships, procrastination, etc.

I can just tell you that if you can't moderate now, you will never be able to moderate. It will hang over you all your life, until you stop for good. And so why not do it now, while you are young, and can have an awesome life. I wish I had.
Old 05-26-2021, 08:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Jase. I'm so happy to hear you've reached 3 days. It's a huge triumph.
I drank for decades - so by the time I quit I was dependent on it, & drinking all day. I know you're nowhere near that stage - but I was once you. If you never know where that first drink is going to take you, I'd say you are in danger of eventually having alcohol control your life. I tried everything I could to be a social drinker - I remembered only the good times, not the horror that my drinking life became. We'd do anything to save you from a similar fate. Glad you are here & talking it over with us.

I felt I had to tell everyone I was quitting - my life was upside down, & everyone knew I had a problem. It helped me to have it out there. It's a very personal decision though.

Old 05-26-2021, 09:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Hunny I'm home!

Thanks everyone.

You have definitely given me things to think about.

Just got home from the Parentals a few mins ago and I survived it SOBER! Went better than I imagined actually and all being well that's the most stressful part of the week over for me .

I pass an off licence (liquor store to you non Brits?!) on the way home and 'always' stop off for alcohol to 'recover' from my visit but not today. 😎
Old 05-26-2021, 02:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good to hear the dreaded visit is over & you resisted temptation, Jase. That's the way we do it. You grow stronger each time.
Old 05-26-2021, 02:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JaseUK;[url=tel:7641155
7641155[/url]]Well I've made it to day 3.

1/ If I give up drink for good (I'm thinking about it but still unsure) I'm gonna tell my mum. She's doesn't know I'm alcoholic (she would worry about me too much) but does know I drink to excess sometimes. I know she'll be proud of me because her brother was an alcoholic and caused issues and she doesn't like alcohol.

2/ After a couple of days I'm beginning to think not drinking at all is easier than trying to moderate (some of you have suggested that as well). Cause I'm of the mindset where if I drink 1 I want 2 which leads to 3, then 4... I think some of you guys are the same?

3/ This morning I noticed my eyes were really bloodshot. Might not be related to drinking or stopping but just throwing it out there.
Im a #2 drinker for sure 🙁 No way I can moderate
Old 05-26-2021, 02:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue;[url=tel:7641160
7641160[/url]]Yeah, I think you'll hear from all of us on here that drinking in moderation doesn't work. We all wanted to, "drink like a gentleman," (from AA's book) but we didn't really want to. What's the point in one or two? I wanted that euphoric effect and then I'd chase it all day and night.

It is MUCH easier to not drink at all. Ever.

As far as telling people I don't drink - I did tell my family, but they really didn't pay much attention and continued to offer me drinks any time I was with them. That was a little annoying

Welcome to Day Three!
I agree bimini….no point in having one or two….i also chased that euphoric high all day n night 🙁
Old 05-26-2021, 02:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JaseUK;[url=tel:7641155
7641155[/url]]Well I've made it to day 3.

Congrats on day 3 Keep it going 🙂
Old 05-26-2021, 06:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My alcoholism is a combination of an allergy to alcohol and an obsession to drink it.

Both cause problems for me to moderate. When I drink its like I have an allergic reaction. Once I have a drink I can not control how much I drink and then what I will do after more drinks. The allergy turns me into a different person. I can't possibly moderate after a couple of drinks because I'm not me anymore after a couple of drinks. There is no longer a me to moderate anything.

As far as just accepting there will be binges and trying to have less of them. This obsession to drink, it defies all logic. Logic would say go several weeks between drinks and you won't need it as bad. In reality once the first hangover wears off that obsession returns full strength. The will to resist alcohol's demands is crushed. There is no longer a sober streak so what's the use? The obsession will tighten the screws. I think deep down psychologically too, something deep down will want to make up for lost time. Like somebody who was stranded on an island gets home and finds an all you can eat buffet.

Its best not to get too caught up in omg, i can never drink again. Make sure not to start worrying about days ahead, how will I stay sober for this event and that. Its easy to get caught up worrying about days that have nothing to do with today. The only thing we know about tomorrow is that it will be easier to deal with if we stay sober today.

Old 05-26-2021, 08:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found moderation torturous. Not drinking at all brings with it a relief for me that has not lifted.
My life is not blissful by any means but I have a great capacity to deal with whatever happens now I am sober.

My eyes were bloodshot when I quit and if I'm honest for a good few months afterwards but they are clear and bright now.

I actually regret telling my parents the blow by blow account, the full extent of my addiction.
I feel they worried greatly at a time when they had least to worry about.

I'm not saying don't tell your mum the ins and outs but I was then a forty year old man who did not live at home and saw my folks a few times a year. It would have been enough for me to simply say 'I have decided not to drink any more Mum/Dad'.

D