Notices

Recovered

Old 05-06-2021, 12:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Recovered

Last night an AA friend and I had a great discussion on our way to an institutional AA meeting. We have both had a lot of life problems over the past year or so, problems that would at one time have been great excuses for taking the fatal first drink. My friend had ongoing family problems dating back to her drinking days, difficult ex, and some big changes coming up. On top of that, two changes in employment which were proving challenging. At the same time I had been separated from my wife for over a year (she is now back) due to the government restrictions, and the both of us have had serious health problems during the year. My business affairs are also in a state of flux at the moment.
So between the two of us, there was a fair bit going on. We had a great discussion, sharing experience and spiritual solutions, talking about the pain that growth often brings and the hope that when it has all passed, as it always will, we will have learned and grown through the process.

The topic of the meeting was something about dealing with life's problems, making use of a sponsor and so forth in order to stay sober. An amazing thing occurred to me as I looked across the room at my friend. Though we had problems and discussed solutions, one option that never presented itself was the idea of a drink. It just never came up, not because either of us is particularly clever, but because we just never thought of it. I think that is what is meant by the tenth step promise, "The problem has been removed, it does not exist for us".
Old 05-06-2021, 04:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Very nice place to be, Mike.
Old 05-06-2021, 08:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Always love your posts. Sorry to hear your year has been tough, but always good to see you.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I feel the same way. I no longer think of drinking, the problem has been removed and drinking is no longer an option. Such a wonderful feeling to be so free.