Notices

5 long rough days

Old 04-20-2021, 04:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

5 long rough days

5 long rough days- is how long since I have had anything to drink.
Hey yall- I’m new-ish here. My first round with this website was spent in friend and family of substance abusers. My ex was addicted to meth. Long story short- once we separated I quit drinking... for my kids sake and myself. Was sober for 2 years. Life settled down finally, and I started drinking again.
Now it’s just time. I want to show my kids I can do it. I only drink wine.
mans it’s been sooooooo hard. My body was in a routine: off work by 3:00, wine in hand by 3:30, sitting on my porch with my wine by 4:00.
ITS JUST HARD. What do you do when the urges hit?????
Old 04-20-2021, 05:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR and congrats on 5 days Myreve. And yes, it's definitely hard - but coming here and seeking help is the right thing to do - especially when the urges hit. That's the beauty of a sobriety community - whether online or in person, we are always here to help you through the hard times.
Old 04-20-2021, 05:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back myreve

there are some good ideas here:
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-cravings.html (CarolD's tips for cravings)

D
Old 04-20-2021, 05:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I was early in recovery and got cravings to drink, I'd walk my dogs. We all enjoyed the walk, the fresh air and sunshine, and by the time we got home,the cravings were gone.
Old 04-20-2021, 05:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Myreve. Congrats on your 5 days sober. We know how rough those early ones are, but the anxiety eases up.
I had to distract myself by keeping busy - moving as much as possible. I went on lots of walks - it helped with the jitters. Read here compusively - watched movies or tv - anything to occupy my mind & body.
Be proud of yourself for taking action. It'll get better & you'll be free.
Old 04-21-2021, 03:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Myreve!

Change that routine up. Do different things at different times. When those cravings hit remember why you want to quit. It's not because alcohol has been good to you. No matter what the AV says it is poisons and will always be poison
Old 04-21-2021, 04:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Day Five. The best is yet to come!

It takes time to fill the time. I came up with a whole routine in early sobriety to fill the hours. I threw away everything that had to do with alcohol. Glasses, wine-chilling ice bucket, wine opener, highball glasses, beer pints, shot glasses, all of it.

I went to meetings for the first few months, but I wasn't working at the time and needed that sober community to remind me how bad it had gotten for me.

Welcome back.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm a cyclist and find that exercise in the late afternoon when I normally get the urge to have a beer or wine really helps. After a hard 1 1/2 to 2 hour bike ride I'm dead. Just want to have a smoothie, shower and fix dinner. Then sleep.

Which brings up another helpful thing. I always keep plenty of healthy snacks around the house in early recovery. Almonds, fruit, healthy juice drinks, cheese and crackers, etc. Yum, yum..
Old 04-21-2021, 01:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the advice and support. It means a lot to me!