Notices

Has anyone given up coffee/caffeine?

Old 04-27-2021, 06:44 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi: I have been drinking coffee for years about 3 cups daily. I have bad insomnia but always have the coffee before 10:00 am so it should be out of my system by then wouldn't you think? Anyhow on Sunday I wanted to see how I would sleep without the coffee so I went cold turkey. no coffee (well I had decaf) I had a headache.......all day! I still had a hard time sleeping that night. I decided to gradually cut down. I am mixing the regular coffee with the decafe 1:2. I will keep decreasing so eventually I will only be having decaf.
Old 04-28-2021, 12:56 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
zjw

I’ve given it up many times I’m always more even keel and energetic over all without it. But usually one bad nights rest can have me reaching for a cup then I feel fantastic that first time then I’m hooked no big deal right? Well the last couple times I almost high tailed to the er with full on panic attacks and body temp issues mentally I felt as if I was going totally insane. It makes my anxiety 10 times worse. You would think I’d learn my lesson! I think I have at this point i totally love coffee but even regular old decaf will
have me drinking more and more and sooner or later just reaching for regular.

I seem to find it harder to quit then alcohol in that it’s more acceptable and causes less harm seemingly but for me the last couple quits where done cause I thought the end was near or something it was so bad I hope I never do it again but I dunno I might get stupid sigh.
Old 04-28-2021, 08:19 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

No, over the years I have upped my coffee game. Bought a small roaster so I roast my own beans. Ground on demand, and have several coffee makers and an espresso machine.
my problem is alcohol. Haven’t had a drink in a few decades. Coffee hasn’t caused me any problems and it’s time to buy another 10 pounds.
Old 04-29-2021, 01:50 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I developed anxiety after I quit drinking so have had to cut way down on caffeine... I only have about 30 mg. or less a day. I am actually looking forward to eventually going back to having a cup of coffee/tea or two a day. I never drank more than a couple of cups a day, whether drinking heavily or not.
Old 05-01-2021, 01:09 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Better late than never

Had to give it up made my anxiety worse. Problem was though I always liked the the taste of coffee so I drink a ton of decaf.
Old 05-02-2021, 04:46 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I would like to. Most of the things on my plate, I don't really want to do. Caffeine gives me a bump to get going on them. My teeth however are starting to become sensitive to acidic foods/drinks, so I may need to cut down on it. Sadly. I do find however that I treat it a lot like alcohol in that I'm usually feeling its ups/downs and work on keeping my up and managing my crashes. Funny, right?
Old 05-04-2021, 09:18 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I drink a lot of caffeine. I have a really strong 16oz cup, in the morning, that I think is around 250mg of caffeine and, every afternoon, I follow that up with a 300mg energy drink. I sip both of these very slowly over a couple of hours (usually my coffee, with heavy cream, is cold by the time I'm done with it). On random days I'll even have a little more than that. Caffeine increases dopamine and, for me, it's a mood lifter and can make me feel better when I'm in a funk. Obviously, for others, the opposite can happen when it causes jitters and ratchets up your anxiety.

I do secular weddings (4 so far, over the past 6 years, and only for very close friends) and I recently found that getting loaded up on caffeine really helped me, believe it or not, to really relax, calm down and flawlessly perform the ceremony in front of 200 people. The other ceremonies I did went well too but I absolutely nailed that last one. I had the least amount of "nerves" than ever before. Caffeine is now my secret weapon if I am ever asked to do another one.

Now. . .having said all that I want to get off of caffeine. Besides dopamine it also increases the release of cortisol, the stress hormone. This is not a good thing and is probably why some get extreme anxiety on it. Now that I am sober and eating healthy I'd like to, eventually, see what could happen if I went completely clean. Besides anxiety, some people find that a lot of muscle tension goes away when they stop caffeine. They also report their energy levels are more consistent across their days. I've read that one needs to quit for at least two months to realize maximum results.
Old 05-05-2021, 05:52 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I've been off for 4 months now. The thought of drinking a coffee gives me anxiety 😅 No more dips or headaches either.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:45 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Nope.
Old 05-10-2021, 02:47 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Nope no reason to, more of a tea person though.