Notices

Down Day

Old 04-12-2021, 12:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Down Day

I am about 3 1/2 years alcohol free. It was hard in the beginning but I do well for the most part on triggers and cravings now. I was diagnosed with cancer 2 years ago and am still going thru treatment. I am thankful for the treatments they offer and the thought of it prolonging my life but honestly chemo is brutal. Sometimes my thoughts go to why am I denying myself alcohol when my life expectancy isn't long. I think I have found myself complacent on not posting here and visiting the chat and the little voices (AV) are starting to creep back in. I will not drink but it's not because I'm not thinking about it. I'm having a pretty down day today and wanted to talk about it. Tomorrow will be a better day.
Old 04-13-2021, 04:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyBug66 View Post
I am about 3 1/2 years alcohol free. It was hard in the beginning but I do well for the most part on triggers and cravings now. I was diagnosed with cancer 2 years ago and am still going thru treatment. I am thankful for the treatments they offer and the thought of it prolonging my life but honestly chemo is brutal. Sometimes my thoughts go to why am I denying myself alcohol when my life expectancy isn't long. I think I have found myself complacent on not posting here and visiting the chat and the little voices (AV) are starting to creep back in. I will not drink but it's not because I'm not thinking about it. I'm having a pretty down day today and wanted to talk about it. Tomorrow will be a better day.
Sorry your going through this LadyBug66, how are you feeling now? Stay strong 💪
Old 04-13-2021, 05:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

LadyBug, it sounds rough. Well done for recognizing that alcohol would just make everything exponentially worse.

Keep talking about it...we'll be here.
Old 04-13-2021, 08:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you. Today is a better day!
Old 04-13-2021, 08:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing. Alcoholism is a disease of isolation, and sharing where I'm at in my recovery journey -- both the ups and downs -- with my recovery family is essential to my sobriety. I won't pretend to know what you're going through with your chemo, and I imagine that if I was in your shoes I'd be asking the same question about staying sober. However, I recall a regular attendee at one of my A.A. meetings a number of years ago who was diagnosed with inoperable and terminal brain cancer. Nonetheless, he continued to show up at our our M-F 7:00 AM meeting till it was time for him to move on. As far as I could tell, he had fully digested the truth that for an alcoholic there's nothing so bad that a drink won't make it worse. As far as I could tell, he had embraced a spirituality that viewed dying sober as a great gift -- since so few alcoholics do. He remains a great inspiration to me.

Old 04-13-2021, 11:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Originally Posted by LadyBug66 View Post
Thank you. Today is a better day!
I am so glad to hear this! You are stronger than you think, and for the record, I think you are a Rockstar!
Old 04-13-2021, 11:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Ladybug, congratulations on 3 1/2 years of recovery. I'm sorry to hear you are going through cancer treatment, but glad to know you are feeling better today.
Old 04-13-2021, 01:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am glad you're a feeling better today LB - remember all of SR is with you through this - you are not alone

D
Old 04-13-2021, 04:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to hear of your cancer diagnosis, Ladybug, and the difficult chemo treatment. I had a coworker going through that for years. So amazing you choose not to drink through it all - your courage is an inspiration to me. Wishing you a healthy long term outcome!