Notices

The Bar Scene

Old 04-11-2021, 11:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Bar Scene

One of my friends got back from the Navy for some emergency leave. We hadn't seen him in a year because of covid, so my friends and I wanted to go hang out and have some fun. They can never plan anything, so I got us reservations at a nice restaurant and figured that'd be the end of it. Well turns out it wasn't... They wanted to go to a bar and I got dragged into it. I did not have anything to drink and for that I'm proud. However, I was amazed at how STUPID bar hopping is. I didn't do it much when I was drinking, I was mostly an at home drinker, but WOW is it dumb. I was amazed looking at it through sober eyes, just a bunch of show boating party animals that think they are COOL because they are at a bar drinking, listening to the latest hits and wearing skanky clothes. Nobody wore masks or cared about keeping a distance from each other.

My friends aren't big drinkers, I was surprised they even wanted to go. We ended up playing a few rounds of pool and calling it a night. They had 3 drinks between the three of them. Two of my friends were cops so... definitely not much drinking there lol. It was just crowded, hot, and noisy. Probably the most annoying environment I've been in for years...

I felt like an interloper in a land where alcohol was God and reined supreme as the masses gathered to worship it. The rosy glasses faded away quickly in the first weeks of sobriety, but I was given truth goggles and those are for more useful and interesting. Also, if I didn't have covid, I probably do now after that experience...
Old 04-12-2021, 07:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, COVID aside the bar scene has its place. It is not for everyone. I had a good amount of fun in my early twenties with my friends. I do have some good memories. It is what it is and for young people it can be a really good time. Friends are made. Dances are danced. Fun is had. It wasn't until years later, for me. that I realized and worked to overcome my issues with alcohol.

That being said, it is good to hear that you stayed sober. Keep doing that!