Notices

Feeling guilty about sugar habit

Old 03-20-2021, 07:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling guilty about sugar habit

Okay I'm sober 8 days but I'm gotten really out of control with eating sweets. I'm eating ice cream 4 times a day and cookies to. Then pizza and other salty food. I feel really out control. I'm definitely self medicating with food. I'm addicted to anything that feels good! I'm becoming the Häagen-Dazs man. They should open up a store out side my house. Man I just wish I could stop hurting inside so much. I feel so empty and so full of regret. David

Old 03-20-2021, 09:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I wouldn't worry about your craving for sweets. Your body is missing the sugar it got from the alcohol. And people swear by ice cream to conquer cravings.

If you feel empty and full of regret, I would suggest that you actively practice gratitude every day. It will fill your life with thankfulness and make you happier. I started practicing gratitude when I was early in sobriety and it helped me so much. Gratitude is the biggest and best tool in my sobriety toolbox. We even have a Gratitude List forum where we can express our thankfulness for all things, great and small.

Here's a good article about the benefits of being grateful.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/o...pier.html?_r=0
Old 03-20-2021, 10:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was into gummies. Oh heck. I still am. Skittles are still my fave.
Old 03-21-2021, 01:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think in early recovery it is ok to use sweet stuff as a bit of a crutch to help fight the cravings. That said, ice cream and cookies 4 times a day is too much. You are creating a new problem that will quickly become a habit/addiction.

I walked through my early days, mile upon mile. I didn't ever take money with me so temptations to drink couldn't be acted on.

Once home, I would eat whatever I wanted, then go to bed exhausted. This went on for many weeks.

Now I am sober but do tend to rely on food to sooth myself, something I never did as a drinker. I consider myself now fighting a food addiction, especially when stressed.

Just try to go easy on the treats and get some exercise too. Try and find a healthy obsession.
Old 03-21-2021, 04:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah, I think it's pretty common to switch from alcohol to food, especially sweets. They do hit that feel-good spot in the brain and being newly sober that's something that is sorely missed. Food addiction-like behaviors are also a big deal and can get out of hand, like Kaily said.

Hopefully it's just temporary. I ate a lot of sweets for the first six months then it naturally died down a lot. All that alcohol was supplying a lot of energy that's now missing. I work pretty hard on getting good nutrition because I feel so much better in every way when I do eat well. Lots of vegetables, lean protein, whole grains, some fruit, nuts, beans, lowfat dairy.

I know food can become a crutch for emotional discomfort too, I still use food in that way and I've been working on that for many years. Two steps forward, one step back,

Food > Booze

Old 03-21-2021, 07:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah, the sugar thing. I think many of us have a sensitivity/craving for sugar. I have to really watch it, once I get started it's hard to stop and I wake up early in the morning with anxiety when "I come off it", just like with booze. I try to eat fruit instead now and it doesn't have the same effect.

I also get into the salty stuff too - pizza, cheese and crackers.. but it's not as bad for the system. I try not to keep most of these things in the house or I will eat them.

Aerobic exercise is the most healthy form of relief for me. When I am feeling restless, irritable, bored, anxious, etc.

David, try not to beat yourself up, or you will stay in this self-reinforcing spiral forever. One of the things we have to do as alcoholics and addicts is practice acceptance. Acceptance for what is, including our past. Acceptance of the present. Accepting who we are and loving ourselves. Love yourself, man, and be kind to yourself. It's the only way.
Old 03-21-2021, 07:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting 100! I can certainly relate to the sugar cravings....Besides the many beers I drank causing me to put on weight...,The sugar cravings were off the charts, so I gave into that as a substitute and put on even more weight....Uuugghh!!

Once I conquered that hill, and ate healthier with exercise, the weight slowly came off...Still is...and still fighting that battle....And winning!

Keep the push in your sobriety! It’s worth it!

Old 03-21-2021, 09:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The sugar thing has become a constant battle for me. I can go some days and have 75% of my calories be chocolate. That's bordering on eating disorder stuff but I guess I can pull away if absolutely needed. It's not a good pattern to be in, though, and I feel exactly the same as you do in knowing that it's not right. I also think it makes a relapse more likely.

So I guess I'm not helping you here. It needs to be looked at longer term but you're only in your first week. Right now you just need to get some time under your belt - if that means replacing one addiction with another less harmful one for now, I say it's acceptable!!
Old 03-21-2021, 10:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Briansy View Post
I also think it makes a relapse more likely.
This is absolutely true, unfortunately. Because eating sweets and refined carbs messes with our insulin levels (up and down) and hence our moods start changing. Not to mention our moods are already affected when we're not eating meals comprised of real food - whole grains, veg, fat and protein.

So as you say, it's fine as a short term measure to reduce cravings and get a little boost of serotonin but also creates a cycle of mood fluctuation and cravings. Always try to eat some real food at each meal. I used to cringe when I would see the donuts being passed around at AA meetings - it just keeps the craving cycle going.

Just give me a simple beef taco or hamburger anyday, it is 10 time better than a sugary treat.
Old 03-21-2021, 10:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

100 - I agree that this is very common. I wasn't even a big sweet eater, yet there I was constantly craving lollipops, lifesavers, cake, etc. After a couple months it all settled down - so it isn't something that stayed with me. It just gradually stopped being an urgent need. You're right, it can't be a forever thing. You'll get it under control.
Congrats on your 9 days today.
Old 03-27-2021, 12:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The craving for sweets is pretty common. Exercise will burn up some calories and maybe balance some of that out so that you don't gain weight.