Notices

Pushing past uncomfortable feelings

Old 02-23-2021, 07:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pushing past uncomfortable feelings

This, but also listening to those feelings too. I found that alcohol made me spend time with anyone, no matter who they were or if I'd like them sober. Day 18 now, and still in the process of spending time with people while sober, unlocking who I really am and what makes me tic. I no longer want to hide behind alcohol anymore, it's time to find the root cause of my social anxiety and destroy it.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

it’s not always possible or desirable to destroy the root cause.
often, making peace with it is needed.
good to hear you’re taking time, looking, evaluating.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I no longer want to hide behind alcohol anymore, it's time to find the root cause of my social anxiety and destroy it.[/QUOTE]

This is a very brave statement. Being self empowered can only have a positive effect on your recovery. Take it one day at a time/take each day as it comes. I wish you the very best of luck
Old 02-24-2021, 06:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Anxiety was deep down in the roots of my drinking too, and it was very hard to acknowledge it once I quit. There are a lot of avenues you can explore, but every time you face it and explore it things get easier. Just like your physical muscles.....if you try a new activity for the first time they get sore from not being used for a while. Your brain works the same way in that sense...anxiety is a natural, regular phenomenon that all human being experience. In fact, our very survival as a species is possible because of the anxiety response - our fight or flight mechanism is tied to it. The problem is, some of us have exaggerated responses or responses to things that really are not threats at all. AKA - most of us don't have to worry about a tiger jumping out from a rock and attacking us on our way to work, but we do respond to things as if we do.

Old 02-24-2021, 04:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Kudos to you on 19 days.. That’s a huge accomplishment. I agree, we have to go through that baggage and find the root cause and throw it away.

There’s a great book called, “Drop the rock,” that speaks to these things and how we do away with these things. As mentioned above, take it slow and steady. Stay busy, stay sober, One day at a time. Wishing you the best, Friend!! You got this!!