Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Waking up to brain fog after a bad binge and never being able to recover from it

Notices

Waking up to brain fog after a bad binge and never being able to recover from it

Old 02-05-2021, 06:27 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by HigherDrunk View Post
Mind telling me what symptoms never improved?
Everything improved over time, perhaps I did not state that clearly- my apologies. Some things took longer to improve, but eventually the all "got better" so to speak.

One caveat is that it was not just time and the cessation of drinking that solve the problems. For example, my GI issues stemmed not only from drinking, but also a very poor diet and little to zero exercise. I needed to make changes in both of those areas. The physical improvements happened much more quickly than the mental side of things, but again in part because I chose to ignore/deny that they even existed. Once I identified and accepted that I did indeed need help there too, I also developed a plan that included counseling, meditation and mindfulness, exercise and diet modifications, and I even tried a couple of meds along the way.

Old 02-05-2021, 08:10 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Yeah, what the others said - you are having anxiety about it and it will get better. I struggled to find words, recall names, and articulate my thoughts cogently in early sobriety. Very frustrating, because I have always had/used an extensive vocabulary. It got much better after 3-6 months and even more so after a year. I also found over time that it took less alcohol to cause those problems. Hence sobriety is the best course for me.

Clearly you have anxiety around this, which this can lead to obsessive-compulsive behaviors (I know, because I have this too, haha). Let me reassure you that you will be fine. Period. Just accept any temporary diminishment in your verbal abilities (which quite frankly are not even evident in your posts here) and STAY SOBER. That is the way to resolve the problem, along with a healthy diet and lots of aerobic exercise, which has been proven beneficial for brain health.
Old 02-05-2021, 01:38 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
OK. To me it reads like people are telling you they had those symptoms too, if not from the same *exact* experience of a bad binge or two in a short space of time...but I understand your POV is different to mine.

I was just trying to reassure you again that I think you'll be OK....but I know how hard it is to believe that when you feel 'not right'.

I'm not diagnosing you but I think you'll find some points of reference here in this link.
https://digital-dharma.net/post-acute-withdrawal-syndrome-why-we-dont-get-better-immediately/

I hope I'll read that you feel better, in time, some day soon

D
Wow... I'm experiencing almost all of those symptoms. It's strange others don't when they quit... Guess l'm just one of the unlucky ones. Which makes sense considering where I am in life.
Old 02-05-2021, 01:42 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
On the flip side, I would argue that you are doing a find job of articulating your words here on SR, at least in written form. If something in your brain were permanently damaged affecting your ability to communicate, I would think you'd have a problem sharing your ideas via any form of communication.

And i'd still not discount that the exact problem you describe could still be related to your anxiety. I was literally convinced that I was starting to experience the symptoms of early onset dementia or alzheimers at one point about a year after I quit. I was also convinced that I was beginning to get parkinsons disease...I would literally hold my hand out in front of me and check for tremors hundreds of times a day, and I honestly believe that my mind was able to manifest physical tremors because I was thinking so hard about it and obsessing about it so much. But the good news is it was indeed not any of the things I thought it was...and it did improve over time.

I also believe that our neural pathways get changed when we drink a lot for a long time, and after we quit it simply takes time for our brain to re-learn to use other pathways. Some of the symptoms I had literally did not improve to the point where I did not think about them until 4-5 years after I quit. Granted I drank every day for over 20 years, and I did not seek any help for my mental health until about 18 months after quitting.
Well, thank you for the compliment! I guess I am doing a pretty good job at that. Though I'm sure if you were a professor grading an essay you'd surely only notice the difference between now and then.

With the anxiety thing... who knows what it could be really. I'm leaning towards it's not that, but I'm not a doctor so I can't really give an accurate assessment.
Old 02-05-2021, 01:54 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Aellyce2 View Post
I was a horrible binge drinker for >10 years and personally never experienced noticeable brain fog that I could relate to the drinking beyond the first 1-2 days of acute withdrawal. Agree with others that anxiety and depression can be associated with cognitive problems, for me especially a major depressive episode did that in the past (concentration problems and inability to make decisions normally). In addition to investigating and perhaps treating mental health, maybe have a comprehensive physical exam if you haven't had one recently. Physiological imbalances are very common in alcoholics, some of those can indeed cause cognitive and neurological issues and can often be easy to fix once you stay sober and get proper nutrition and care.
I gotta say... I'm pretty jealous of the fact that you hadn't experienced any noticeable symptoms of brain fog. Especially if you take into account how many years you were binging compared to me. Either you didn't drink/blackout as much as I or you're incredibly lucky. Either way... good for you that it hasn't affected you like it has others. It can be a really scary thing to deal with; especially if you value your intellect.

As for my brain fog being associated with my mental health... I don't think those 2 have any real correlation. Mainly due to the fact that I've been suffering with major depressive disorder and anxiety ever since I was 12-13 and didn't really notice a difference when it came to my language and verbal comprehension. However I did notice it right after my last blackout... so I think it's safe to say that the alcohol most likely had a role to play with my problems rather than my mental health. Could of the 2 perhaps intertwined? Maybe.? No idea. There's no really no way knowing for sure.
Old 02-05-2021, 02:03 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by advbike View Post
Yeah, what the others said - you are having anxiety about it and it will get better. I struggled to find words, recall names, and articulate my thoughts cogently in early sobriety. Very frustrating, because I have always had/used an extensive vocabulary. It got much better after 3-6 months and even more so after a year. I also found over time that it took less alcohol to cause those problems. Hence sobriety is the best course for me.

Clearly you have anxiety around this, which this can lead to obsessive-compulsive behaviors (I know, because I have this too, haha). Let me reassure you that you will be fine. Period. Just accept any temporary diminishment in your verbal abilities (which quite frankly are not even evident in your posts here) and STAY SOBER. That is the way to resolve the problem, along with a healthy diet and lots of aerobic exercise, which has been proven beneficial for brain health.
Thank you for taking time out of your day and sharing your own experience on here to help reassure me. I'm actually starting to gradually notice a difference now when it comes to my writing and verbal language. Definitely not where it was before, but it's improving ever so slightly. Hopefully within 3-7 months I'll be back to where I once was. All I can do now is pray and maintain sobriety.

What do you think is more important when it comes to your brain health? Exercise or a healthy diet? Obviously both are... but it's more easier for me to exercise rather than to maintain a health diet... :p
Old 02-05-2021, 02:23 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I just want to point out that it's pretty sad that ex-alcoholics on an internet forum were more helpful and forthcoming with information pertaining to my alcohol abuse than my doctor/neuropsychologist. When he went over the test results with my by phone I was really unsatisfied with him when it came to his answers to my questions. He was almost like a broken record and kept repeating "with continued sobriety and exercise you should be seeing improvements come on gradually with the next several months to maybe even a couple years" he repeated this statement to almost every question I asked him. Like for example "Is there any correlation when it comes to blacking out and permanent brain damage" His response was: "It really depends on how much you drank and if you had a stroke/seizure. But with continued sobriety and exercise you should be seeing improvements come on gradually with the next several months to maybe even a couple years" He'd always give the shortest answer possible and just repeat that statement over and over even though I wanted to get more in depth with my question. He also gave me a phone number to a mental health facility that is apparently always open and taking in new patients. When our phone session ended and when I called the number he gave me it ended up being to some random pharmacy rather than a mental health office. Ugh, this is why I much prefer in person sessions over phone sessions.

You all are truly amazing and have reassured/helped me through this difficult time in my life more than my doctor has. I think we've all discussed my problems pretty thoroughly in this thread. Not to say there's not more to discuss, but I think it would be best to discuss it more down the road and wait to see if my brain fog diminished with time and sobriety. Otherwise I feel like this thread would still be useful to maybe someone who's also having their own personal battle with brain fog and is seeking to have their own questions answered.
Old 02-05-2021, 02:35 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Job done! Best of luck with everything, HD.
Old 02-05-2021, 02:54 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by HigherDrunk View Post
Wow... I'm experiencing almost all of those symptoms. It's strange others don't when they quit... Guess l'm just one of the unlucky ones. Which makes sense considering where I am in life.
I hesitated to suggest it because PAWS is not recognised by many doctors, and its a collection of symptoms rather than an illness - symptoms which could be ascribed to anxiety or other conditions as well.

but...I thought you might identify, and support can make a marked difference.

There's a PAWs support thread in this (Alcoholism) forum.
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...art-2-a-6.html (For those tortured by PAWS (Post Acute Withdrawal Symptoms) and who fear they might go mad Part 2)
D
Old 02-05-2021, 07:05 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

With regard to your question about exercise v nutrition. I believe nutrition is most critical to repair the damage and heal, but the aerobic exercise will make you feel better right now. What I have learned over the years is it isn't really hard to get nutritious food every day. Just make sure you eat a green veg, some fruit and whole grains every day, along with lean meat of your choice. And a Multi and B Vitamin is critical for alcoholics as most are deficient. That might really help you.

I eat really simple. First rule - stay hydrated all day. Second rule - avoid refined carbs/processed foods. Just eat real food.

I always start my day off with coffee and either whole grain oats with some fruit, or whole grain toast and and eggs. Either one takes 10-15 min max. Eat a healthy lunch out if you're working, or if at home a sandwich on whole grain bread, and soup or chili. A simple salad of pre-washed greens with it.

For dinner *always* have a green vegetable (frozen is fine) and some brown rice (really good) or pasta with your meat. I also eat a lot of beans - black mostly. Super nutritious. A simple dessert if you want. Carrots, apples, and oranges during the day for snacks. A banana and berry smoothie after workouts. That's all it takes my friend, and you will feel great.

Old 02-06-2021, 03:20 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

So I was lurking the forum seeing if anyone had any relatable symptoms/stories as me and I found one guy who had the same exact symptoms as I had to a par.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-my-brain.html (Alcohol broke my brain)

It's really do bad that he hasn't logged in since 2018 or otherwise I'd ask him if his symptoms ever did reside.
Old 02-07-2021, 12:44 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I saw a comment on that thread that I chuckled at: "Slooow down and throw out the ass kickin' machine"!! A good mental note on which to start my day...
Old 04-13-2021, 02:39 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

90 DAY UPDATE

Hi all, it's been a while since I (or really anyone for that matter....) has posted in this thread. Since then, I've maintained sobriety and am continuing to better myself. As for my brain... it's been a battle to say the least. Some cognitive abilities have been restored, but not all unfortunately. Not to where to where it was before the blackout anyways... I'm going to have some tests done, MRI, EGG, Bloodwork and another nuerovaluation done in the next couple months to see if it a tumor or nerve disease or something on that level. I have a feeling it isn't but who knows at this point... I'm happy with my cognitive improvements so far, but not at all satisfied. I'd rate my cognitive abilities right now: 5.2/10. The day before the blackout: 7.5/10. The day after the blackout: 2.5/10. The day I first created account on this forum: 4.5/10. I feel like 90 days without drinking and 100 days without blacking out should have been plenty of time for my brain to return back to normal. It's scary that it hasn't yet.....
Old 04-13-2021, 04:49 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
VinBx

HD

Good morning and congrats on your 90 days. I read this complete thread. I see your concern as i also have the same concerns. I've been sober for 18 months and I see improvement every day with sobriety. One big improvement which you mentioned is brain fog. I had it with congnitive issues and unstediness lightheadedness and brain buzzing. The buzzing is still there and cognition is getting better. The fog is completely gone. Best of luck

Vinny
Old 05-20-2021, 01:25 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hey, I can relate to your story. Around March of 2018 I had a night of binge drinking with some hard liquor at a social event, the night of the event I had too much to drink and was puking. However when I sobered up I noticed my cognition was gone. I wasn't able to remember if I left a glass of water at the night table after putting one there a minute prior. My short term/ long term memory was a disaster, my reaction time was extremely slow, I felt emotionally numb because my brain couldn't even process my environment quickly enough in order to react properly. I felt like a walking vegetable. My ability to concentrate was a mess, and I couldn't even remember ideas in my head without constantly thinking about them.I would forget my train of of thought in middle of conversations. Well Prior to March for 3 months I had a party phase where I was binge drinking around 3 times a week on different days. Fast Forward to now as of May 2021 I feel much better I can think and remember things but I am nowhere near where I was before, I have been completely abstinent beginning January 7th 2019. I have not completely recovered but I am able to remember things long term to a degree and I am able to have conversations without losing my train of thought. My reaction time has improved and all that. I felt like a 1/10 since my binge drinking episode, and now I feel like a 5-6/10 compared to 10/10 before that terrible night. I have been taking all kinds of nootropics to try to get my cognition back, and I am still going through them. One of them that really did help a lot was Lion's Mane but comes at the cost of your Libido, I felt feminine, but my memory improved to 7-8/10 after 5 days of taking it. I couldn't keep taking it because I didn't like that feminine feeling, and it inhibits DHT which might affect your hormones in the long run. Also, once you stop taking Lion's Mane you revert to the cognition you once had, so I came back to my old self after I stopped consuming it..