Notices

Nearly one year sober, asking for health advice.

Old 01-18-2021, 02:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nearly one year sober, asking for health advice.

I'm about one year sober, I can't remember the date, I've got it written down somewhere. But I'm just grateful to be alive, really didn't think I would be.

I feel generally well, a thousand times better than I did a year ago when I couldn't even stand or talk, so much alcohol I can't even believe it now.

I'm still getting pain around the liver area and I have blotchy palms. I've had tests and the Dr says everything is fine, actually very good.

But I still worry, has anyone had symptoms from drinking that they still had after a year + being sober, did things eventually die down? I'm not looking for medical advice just peoples stories about health. I find peoples stories inspiring and help me push to eat better and exercise more. Thanks.
Old 01-18-2021, 03:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're feeling much better than you did a year ago.

I didn't have symptoms like that. So, you've talked to your doctor about this, had tests and been told that things are good. Since you're still concerned, maybe you could go back to your doctor and explain that you still feel pain, or maybe you'd consider getting a second opinion.
Old 01-18-2021, 03:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi softdrinks

congrats on your year

If you're nor sure that everything ok, why not get a second opinion from another doctor?

D
Old 01-18-2021, 03:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've been back numerous times over the past year, everything comes back ok. One Dr said my results are better than hers! Alcohol used to turn my brain off but I don't have that way out now.
Old 01-19-2021, 01:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi, SD. I'm in very much the same boat, but here's where I am:
I used to have constant liver pains - ALL of the time. Now, after thirteen months, I still have the occasional twinge, but I find it gets worse when I eat/drink lots of sugar. Water still is best.
And it's the same with "brain-fog"; when I've had lots of soda, crisps, chocolate, etc. I get almost the same feeling as if I was drunk. Same solution - drink lots of water.
The alcohol is gone, but other foods and drinks which is not good for it, makes my liver "angry" for want of a better word. But it is much, much better than December 2019, and still getting better each day, I believe.
My advice - try cutting way down on stuff that agravates or put strain on your "still-repairing-itself" liver. People say it - the liver - regenerates itself in 6 months, but it takes much longer. I know - from experience - and not because that's what the "Doctor says".
RB
Old 01-19-2021, 04:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Remember that alcohol effects all parts of the body, not just the liver. It can harm your kidneys, heart, stomach, esophagus, brain, circulatory system, digestive systems, bones.... It isn't just the liver that will be harmed. Because alcohol gets into the blood stream, there is no part of the body that is not potentially being damaged. Have you had any tests done on your kidneys? The liver can regenerate, but other organs cannot. I have known alcoholics who drank until they died who had perfect liver numbers, but ended up with alcoholic dementia. Alcohol can also cause several types of cancer. I suggest getting a second opinion and a full workup, not just one for the liver.
Old 01-19-2021, 05:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Softdrinks View Post
I've been back numerous times over the past year, everything comes back ok. One Dr said my results are better than hers! Alcohol used to turn my brain off but I don't have that way out now.
There are methods for slowing down that anxious brain habit. I know many people acquire health anxiety and you don't have to be a recovering alcoholic to have it happen.

Have you considered AA, therapy, meditation, exercise, nutrition? There is a lot of info and help out there.

Don't torture yourself with your own thoughts.
Old 01-19-2021, 06:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LateBloominCait View Post
Remember that alcohol effects all parts of the body, not just the liver. It can harm your kidneys, heart, stomach, esophagus, brain, circulatory system, digestive systems, bones.... It isn't just the liver that will be harmed. Because alcohol gets into the blood stream, there is no part of the body that is not potentially being damaged. Have you had any tests done on your kidneys? The liver can regenerate, but other organs cannot. I have known alcoholics who drank until they died who had perfect liver numbers, but ended up with alcoholic dementia. Alcohol can also cause several types of cancer. I suggest getting a second opinion and a full workup, not just one for the liver.
Yeah I've had a full workup and second opinion. Kidneys were fine in my scans. Probably best to start keeping a diary to note down what's happening and when
Old 01-19-2021, 06:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
There are methods for slowing down that anxious brain habit. I know many people acquire health anxiety and you don't have to be a recovering alcoholic to have it happen.

Have you considered AA, therapy, meditation, exercise, nutrition? There is a lot of info and help out there.

Don't torture yourself with your own thoughts.
I'm working on them, had a second opinion. I just wanted a few stories about people healing over a period of time, the thread doesn't seem to be going that way! I will try to worry about it all less though.
Old 01-19-2021, 07:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm working on them, had a second opinion. I just wanted a few stories about people healing over a period of time, the thread doesn't seem to be going that way! I will try to worry about it all less though.
Well the issue you initially posted was pretty specific.

I know for me the bigger issue was anxiety in general and that's what it sounds like your problem could be, too.

If your doctor says your test results are okay then the rest of it has to be about managing those eight inches between your ears, yeah?

I challenge you to go on to YouTube and find a meditation video - just a short one, like 10 minutes. Headspace has a few...do that for five days and see if it helps any.

For me it's about a balance. Low caffeine, good nutrition, some exercise. 7-9 hours of sleep most nights. Meditation, mindfulness.
Old 01-19-2021, 08:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Well the issue you initially posted was pretty specific.

I know for me the bigger issue was anxiety in general and that's what it sounds like your problem could be, too.

If your doctor says your test results are okay then the rest of it has to be about managing those eight inches between your ears, yeah?

I challenge you to go on to YouTube and find a meditation video - just a short one, like 10 minutes. Headspace has a few...do that for five days and see if it helps any.

For me it's about a balance. Low caffeine, good nutrition, some exercise. 7-9 hours of sleep most nights. Meditation, mindfulness.
Sorry I didn't mean to offend. I'm dyslexic so what I am trying to say can come across wrong. Trying to say what I mean can really exhaust my brain. It's the main reason I don't post to be honest. I will check out some videos thanks!
Old 01-19-2021, 08:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sorry I didn't mean to offend. I'm dyslexic so what I am trying to say can come across wrong. Trying to say what I mean can really exhaust my brain. It's the main reason I don't post to be honest. I will check out some videos thanks!
Oh! I was certainly not offended! People will generally post the things they have found that work for them.

For me, it's not dwelling on things that make me feel fear, sadness, anger or resentment. Health issues would fall under fear, for me. I know I continued to improve health-wise into year three. I didn't have your specific complaints about health issues but I had my own that aren't likely worth mentioning as they weren't your specific things. They are now gone.

I'm not sure anyone will be able to give you any kind of relevant timeline as we are all a bit different in our past life experiences, current lifestyles, and genetics (outside of our addiction.)

I hope you find answers.

Please keep posting!
Old 01-19-2021, 03:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rockbottom1964 View Post
Hi, SD. I'm in very much the same boat, but here's where I am:
I used to have constant liver pains - ALL of the time. Now, after thirteen months, I still have the occasional twinge, but I find it gets worse when I eat/drink lots of sugar. Water still is best.
And it's the same with "brain-fog"; when I've had lots of soda, crisps, chocolate, etc. I get almost the same feeling as if I was drunk. Same solution - drink lots of water.
The alcohol is gone, but other foods and drinks which is not good for it, makes my liver "angry" for want of a better word. But it is much, much better than December 2019, and still getting better each day, I believe.
My advice - try cutting way down on stuff that agravates or put strain on your "still-repairing-itself" liver. People say it - the liver - regenerates itself in 6 months, but it takes much longer. I know - from experience - and not because that's what the "Doctor says".
RB
Thanks, great advice. I have to admit I do binge on sugar, I’m trying to cut it out. I’m just trying to be more healthy all round.
Old 01-19-2021, 06:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I don't want to create a stir, but I used to have what I thought was liver pain and it turned out to be the pancreas. I still get it once in awhile if I eat a heavy meal with a lot of carbs or fat. It's easy to miss if they don't specifically test for lipase. Even then my numbers came back ok when it was shown to be inflamed in the CT scan results. When they scanned and tested the liver, all was normal and healthy, go figure...