Notices

400 Days

Old 01-17-2021, 03:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

400 Days

Hi, SR friends. I almost forgot to post, but here I am. I was laying in bed last night, with the light off and thinking about my “sober-days count”. Thinking that I’ve passed the 13-month mark a few days ago, and then it hit me…The 16th of Jan (yesterday), was day 400. So, yay!! Another milestone gone, and behind me.
“Days”, I notice, seem less and less important, now. I think because they work in tandem: the more and stronger the craving for booze, the more my “number of days sober” mattered to me. And the lesser the craving, the lesser my number of sober days matter?? Perhaps I’m rambling.
What I do know, is that each and every day sober counts, whether you count them or not. Each 24 hours without alcohol is a step closer to final freedom. For some, it may be just a couple of years before they have that mind-shift that says “never again”, and just know it to be absolute; for others, it may take 10 or 20 years – for some, never. I’m still very far from where I know with absolute certainty that I will never drink again. Perhaps I’ll wake up one day, five years from now, and just know…who knows? Perhaps I’ll never know, and keep counting. I’m rambling again…
In the meantime – things, where I stay, will start going downhill again as of tomorrow. Booze has been banned again in South Africa – since 28th December, and my dad and stepmom finished the last of their stockpile today. Tomorrow will be sober day number one for them – again. And like I said before: Living with two drunks is a lot easier than living with two alcoholics in “forced” withdrawal.
But it will pass when booze is sold again – soon I hope. Now isn’t that a funny thing for a recovering alcoholic to say??

Have a great week, everyone.

RB. (corriec)
Old 01-17-2021, 03:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 400 days of recovery and freedom. Great job.
Old 01-17-2021, 03:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congratulations rockbottom, 400 days is a great accomplishment. Best of luck in dealing with the situation surrounding your parents as well, certainly you can't control it but you are fare better prepared to deal with it yourself.
Old 01-17-2021, 05:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

What a pleasant surprise for you and for me, too. Your voice has changed so much since we first encountered each other; it’s nice, I like it.

You weren’t rambling at all. I think you’re right about the days thing; at least it rings true for me. But maybe it’s a little different? Although I’m counting up to a year here, the number of days I’ve passed sober escapes me. I think perhaps it’s because of the mantra that works for me, “I never drink now (and it’s always now).”

I’m pleased for you, corriec (your name autocorrected to ‘vortices!’), and am looking forward with great satisfaction to the day you’re able to leave that place.

xo
O
Old 01-17-2021, 07:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 400 days RB.

D
Old 01-18-2021, 12:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Obladi View Post
What a pleasant surprise for you and for me, too. Your voice has changed so much since we first encountered each other; it’s nice, I like it.

You weren’t rambling at all. I think you’re right about the days thing; at least it rings true for me. But maybe it’s a little different? Although I’m counting up to a year here, the number of days I’ve passed sober escapes me. I think perhaps it’s because of the mantra that works for me, “I never drink now (and it’s always now).”

I’m pleased for you, corriec (your name autocorrected to ‘vortices!’), and am looking forward with great satisfaction to the day you’re able to leave that place.

xo
O
Thank you, O! I hear you about the "days" thing, but it's easy for me to remember - I stopped drinking on my x-wife's birthday.
And yes, can you believe it. I first came to SR at around August 2017, with the user-name corriec. SoHard and I started at around the same time, but I kept falling off the wagon, until end 2019, when I decided to give myself a break on my ex's bithday; to celebrate the first one we were apart. (I blame booze). Good luck with that first year - again, O.
And I'll stick with my mantra for the time being: "Tomorrow, maybe, but today I will not drink".
Have a wonderful week, O, and thanks for caring.
PS. I WILL get out of here this year. Book one should be finished this week, and I'll send you the link if you want?

corriec (RB).
Old 01-18-2021, 03:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm so happy for you RB/Corriec, your achievement of another superb milestone! What genre of book have you written?
Old 01-18-2021, 03:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on your 400 RB! And a book nearly done too! please do send a link if you don't mind--
Old 01-19-2021, 12:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tatsy View Post
I'm so happy for you RB/Corriec, your achievement of another superb milestone! What genre of book have you written?
Thank you, Hawk and Tatsy!
Tatsy, it's a re-write of a young adult fantasy, (Wizards, etc), with a very different twist, I think. I originally published back in 2013/14, but went back to it because it's just another thing in life I have not finished. And going back, I couldn't believe how bad my writing was way back then. I actually cringe, sometimes.
So I'm doing a total re-write, and this time I'm doing it as a set of 7 books. I planned for it to be around 40 000 words to a book (novellas), but the first will stop at about 60-70 000 words - all of the "World-building" and intro of characters, etc.
I sold - bad as it was - 5000+ copies back in 2013, which technically made it an Amazon bestseller. But that was way back then. It will be (much) better this time, and it will be my ticket out of here. I'm going to put out one book a month, and this one will be out next week.
I'm sending you and Hawk the cover in the meantime; let me know what you think.
Thanks for being friends, you two!
RB.
Old 01-19-2021, 07:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations!
Old 01-27-2021, 08:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on reaching 400 days. My how time flies. And congrats on your book as well!