Notices

Struggling in the second month

Old 01-01-2021, 11:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Struggling in the second month

Well, I’m almost 5 weeks sober. My sleep has evened out and I’m getting proper rest now, but the newly-found sobriety euphoria has worn off, and my moods are all over the place. I feel angry, frustrated, bored, lonely...I’m tired from achieving lots in the day, but unfulfilled as well, I just don’t get it. Is this normal?

i don’t think lockdown is helping me either.

How long will it take for my head to sort itself out?
Old 01-02-2021, 12:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Lpg

Hey jas

That's great your getting good sleep now, feeling rested helps enormously.
All those emotions sound normal to me anyway I had alot of those feeling for a while in early soberity. I'd like to say a time on when it calmed down abit but I think I worked hard for the first 8 months. Practicing gratitude daily really helps me when I feel unfulfilled, helps me see the positive parts of the day & feel warmth about it.

I think lockdown doesn't help with it though, I've felt it myself lately but I've not been exerting enough energy through excersie, something I'll work on.

Those emotions where easier to handle in comparison to the ones I was feeling when I was drinking though, didn't seem it at the time but they where.
​​​​
5 weeks is amazing keep up the good work, sounds great your achieving lots in your days too.
Old 01-02-2021, 12:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Jas, I’m on day 61 and also feel pretty awful , if it’s any comfort. Mild depression, dissociative stuff, bad phantom hangovers again, headaches again and other physical aches and pains again. Extreme fatigue. Fell asleep during the day today. Just waiting for things to improve. I read that people often get some bad times around 30, 60 and 90 days for some reason. We just got to ride this out , I guess. But it does suck. Agree. Hope it gets better for you soon, brother.
Old 01-02-2021, 01:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jasl - by month 2 I was having good days but it took 3 months or so for me to consistently feel better.
To me just not drinking wasn't enough - I had to build a sober life I loved - and that takes time

It may seem like you're getting nowhere but you really are - stick with it

Think about the life you want and start working towards that

D
Old 01-02-2021, 02:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
sober style

Hang in there, Jasl. These things take time, be patient but also confident and sure that you're doing the right thing now, on the right path. Maybe mentally project yourself into a much better future self that's been sober for months/years and looks back on the early days back in 2021 when you were moody and had trouble sleeping etc.
Old 01-02-2021, 09:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

sounds "normal" to me, Jasl20.
i think it was about week six where my "exciting new thing i'm doing" turned into the "oh. so this is how it is" state. i had to throw out any preconceived notions of how things would be, how I would be, and go with where i was at. when the novelty wore off, reality was a different ballgame. which is why i had wanted so desperately to quit: for things to be different.
one way to not feel useless, and to add fulfillment, could be to participate a lot in a place like this and connect with others?
Old 01-02-2021, 09:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hangovers Suck!

Originally Posted by Jasl20 View Post
Well, I’m almost 5 weeks sober. My sleep has evened out and I’m getting proper rest now, but the newly-found sobriety euphoria has worn off, and my moods are all over the place. I feel angry, frustrated, bored, lonely...I’m tired from achieving lots in the day, but unfulfilled as well, I just don’t get it. Is this normal?

Yes, I think it's normal. I wish I had an answer for both of us on how to get through it. I've got a whole 4 days sobriety in this cycle, so you're ahead of me. I'm determined to do what it takes to stay sober this time. Keep searching. I read a lot and watch video's on overcoming alcohol abuse right now. That's helping me. What doesn't help me is getting into my own head and turning negative thoughts over and over like a chicken on a rotisserie. I have to find ways to stay out of my head. Sometimes all it takes is 10 minutes or less to let a craving pass. I know it'll fade away if I let it. Keep on keeping on.

Old 01-02-2021, 10:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great job on 5 weeks! That's fantastic! I'm about the same but was not drinking much this past year so not as rough. But I clearly remember quitting when I was drinking more heavily and it took about 3 months to even up the emotions and stop forgetting words. There's a formally recognized condition called PAWS that refers to some of these anomalies - emotional swings, forgetfulness, confusion, fatigue, etc. It is just your brain healing and rebalancing after damage from the constant alcohol intake for many years. It will lessen quite rapidly if you stay sober, eat healthy (lots of veggies) and get exercise. Aerobic exercise especially, works wonders for the brain. I also personally take a multi-vitamin and B supplement as alcoholics are usually nutrient deficient. Do your research.

Keep up the great work!
Old 01-02-2021, 12:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Totally normal.

This suggestion is (was) so ‘not me,’ but I learned that finding a few minutes to jot down an intention for my day each morning and a gratitude list each evening made a surprising difference.

You’re doing amazing - slow and steady wins this race!

O
Old 01-02-2021, 03:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think a 100 days did it for me. And sure - it was most probably psychological, but I think a lot of our "perceived" physical problems related to alcohol abuse/withdrawal are just that - psychological.
Our brains are re-wiring, after all, and there's always that old AV; having our bodies trying to fool our brains into thinking we're fine even though we KNOW we are not.
A year ago, and now, still, I think the word to best describe the way I feel a lot of the time, is 'Discontent". The old - what's the use?; why am I doing this?; WTF for? - feeling.
Two things: 1. It gets better - and easier, every day; and 2. Gratitude is an attitude, not an emotion.
Hang in there, Jasl.
Old 01-03-2021, 12:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Erica375

Congratulations on almost 5 weeks! Awesome job! Yes, sobriety can feel weird and foreign at first. What did you used to enjoy doing before drinking took over your life? Did you have any hobbies, or anything you've ever thought you'd like to try?

Yesterday I remembered I used to enjoy crossword puzzles, so this morning I bought a little book of them. Easy ones, nothing too taxing, but enough to get my brain working.

You're getting your life back. Enjoy!
Old 01-03-2021, 06:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Props to you! I know the joy of extended sobriety and you should too! I want nothing more than to be back where you are. Forget the minor pitfalls and relish in the amazing moments you can enjoy as sober.
Old 01-03-2021, 06:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Congratulations on 5 weeks! For me, the Second month was hardest, I just couldn't get past 45 days. I relapsed so may times I lost count. I suppose that was when my memory started kicking my butt, what I had become, what I had lost, what happened to me etc. It took some real work and help to get past that point. Once I managed to get there, I felt stronger and more able to deal with everything, including forgiving myself, mostly, I learned to ask for help and actually listen when it was given. Hang in there, don't give up, pick up that phone or turn on your computer until it passes. Then repeat as necessary. You got this!
Old 01-10-2021, 11:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, appreciate all the replies

I seem to be levelling out now. I think Christmas and NY were hard, as it was the first without my Dad (he died of Covid last April), and also my new sobriety. Boredom is never a good thing, either. Letting yourself sit in your head with thoughts is dangerous territory, but did I relapse? Nope!

Anyway, I’m loving my new life, and taking it one day at a time. I’m just grateful to be part of the recovery community.

Old 01-11-2021, 11:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Thanks for checking in Jasl and glad to hear you are staying sober. My condolences regarding your father's death, to you and your entire family.

I very much agree about the boredom/downtime issue....idle minds tend to think up less than positive things to do! What kind of strategies or things did you do to keep yourself busy/active/focused on sobriety?

Old 01-11-2021, 12:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jasl20 View Post

Hi Jas!

I am right there with you. Today is day 30 for me. Yeah, its totally normal. See my post "Again..." - I feel the same way. Sleep is starting to even our, anxiety is starting to wane, but there is a general feeling of uneasyness/malaise.

I dont think the "90 meetings in 90 days" is by coincidence with AA. Even my Dr. told me to chill out and let it ride until at least 90 days into Sobriety. I suppose that is when all of the 'acute' effects start to level off, and your body is (whatever is normal for anybody) starting to re-adjust. I suppose that is where the PAWS (again, so unique for anybody the if/how/why/how long) can start to being.

But I will say, for me, the periods of clear headedness, overall mood and energy levels are starting to increase little by little. Stick with it! We got this!

Old 01-11-2021, 02:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I’m sorry for your loss Jas but I’m glad things are levelling out recovery wise now.

D
Old 01-13-2021, 09:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

That sounds completely normal. I remember going through at least four distinct emotional states as I got sober. The roughest, and the one that no one warned me about, was when years of deferred feelings of guilt came flooding back as I came back to life after being dead inside for so long. It's hard at time, but infinitely worth it,