Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

No longer able to hand-write or my journey of delusion

Notices

No longer able to hand-write or my journey of delusion

Old 01-31-2021, 07:43 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think I'd see a doctor there was no improvement after a month Blake.- you need a profession opinion.

D
Old 01-31-2021, 09:42 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
EndGame

I'm happy to see that you continued to stay sober.

Now you need medical/neurological evaluations. A couple of things you've described rarely get better on their own, don't just disappear, and can get get worse without treatment. Doctors go to medical school so that the rest of us can get on with the business of living our lives.

What you don't know will hurt you. It's okay to take better care of yourself.

Old 02-01-2021, 08:03 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Good job on the month Blake! really hoping you stay with it. Hopefully you've noticed other benefits.
Old 02-01-2021, 02:50 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
~sb

Have you stopped drinking yet?
Old 02-02-2021, 03:54 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Have you stopped drinking yet?
For more than a month!

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think I'd see a doctor there was no improvement after a month Blake.- you need a profession opinion.
D
Unfortunately, has been there, done that. EMG & MRI tests, neurologist, physiotherapy and still no diagnostic. My doctor prescribed me Lyrica (pregabalin), even increased the dose twice. After a year, I decided to ditch it - it was going nowhere. Going by elimination, I suspected alcoholic neuropathy (before I thought that alcohol was helping to mitigate the pain!) but my doctor doesn't think so. So in 2011-2013, alcohol intake increased to one weekly binge. 2013 the first symptoms that worsened up to 2016 to a point I couldn't write anymore. Then I saw a doctor and took that battery of tests. 2016-2020 almost a bottle a day. In a 'binge-free new world', I really hope that my nerves tissues will rebuild themselves in the next months. From my experience of last year, I already knew that a dry January was not enough.
Old 02-02-2021, 08:39 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hang in there Blake. If it is what you suspect you need to give it time for improvement.

On another note, I see you do some exercise. Not sure how much, but studies have found regular hard aerobic exercise improves brain and other functions significantly. Also have you considered that it might be arthritis?
Old 02-07-2021, 04:22 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by advbike View Post
Hang in there Blake. If it is what you suspect you need to give it time for improvement.

On another note, I see you do some exercise. Not sure how much, but studies have found regular hard aerobic exercise improves brain and other functions significantly. Also have you considered that it might be arthritis?
None of the 4 doctors suggested it. A possible reason (and I am no medical expert) is that my markers for inflammation were low (c-reactive, white cells count), Arthritis as per I read is an inflammation condition.

Over the years, I had my little experiences. I know that I have a surge of pain 2-3 later after a binge; I am pretty much convinced that there was a link.

After a few weeks, although my pain didn't decrease, I am able to sign my names three times in a row, not possible at last Christmas. Also, I can synchronize my right hand fingers movements with the left one. This gives me high hopes.
Old 02-07-2021, 05:14 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hey Blake,

Congrats on the sober time.

I bet it will get better over time at least up until a point and at that point, you can go back to your doctors and say, here is what I still got and I don't drink, what do you think. One thing I bet we all agree on is that sobriety will not hurt....

Keepa go!
Old 02-10-2021, 08:52 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Great job Blake! Glad to hear you are still sober and there is some improvement. That is not a small accomplishment. I hope you stick with it and see more gains. I feel so much better in all sorts of subtle ways when I just stay off the booze.

Cheers man, you are really doing great.
Old 02-10-2021, 09:47 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Wonderful for you to share your struggles and concerns, and all of the support here for you.

I remember the doctor telling me after I had gained 60 pounds from being pregnant for nine months that it would take me at least nine months for my week to go back and that was a reasonable thing to think.

I think it’s totally reasonable that if we have been abusing ourselves for several years it might take at least one year for us to get a little bit back to normal. I know we want everything to happen yesterday and when we begin a diet we look in the mirror and suck in our stomach and think we should’ve lost 5 pounds. But it just doesn’t happen that way. It seems like you’ve lost a lot of weight and I’m sure that took some time, give yourself some patients and give yourself some time. Best of luck to you!
Old 02-20-2021, 02:40 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
VinBx

Hey Blake,

I just saw this post browsing through. I see your worried about your handwriting. I had very similar symptoms as yours with some others as well (not fun stuff) I've been to my neuro andy primary. Blood tests , mri, CT scans and nerve conductivity test, eeg and none point to any diagnosis. But I can sure tell you, I have been alcohol free since Oct 2018. Since then I have noticed improvements in many of my symptoms. Handwriting was one of them. I couldn't fill out a deposit slip without reading up the first or second one and finally getting aa
legible slip completed. I would advise you refrain or chances are you will get worse. Alcohol is poison and eats at everything in your body. Ethanol is poisonous and a toxin. It may not be noticeable but with time you will see your symptoms subside. Good luck on your journey and keep up with your doctors overseeing your symptoms. 😉🙂

Old 04-02-2021, 11:34 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

At same time, this is not corroborated by thousands of heavy drinkers (many are/were drinking way more than me!). Just curious, as I am puzzled that not that many people here had that stiffness symptoms like mines, to the point of not being able to handwrite even my name.[/QUOTE]

I wonder if it could be associated with lactic acid buildup. I think that is what was going on with me for a few days before I quit (again) nightly (sometimes day too) binge drinking three weeks ago. My hands, feet and body (esp abs and the smallest part of my back) in general were stiff and sore in a way that didn't feel like dehydration and it would amp up a lot while I was drinking (even just from regular walking in my legs). The liver is responsible for breaking down lactic acid - when it is overwhelmed processing alcohol lactic acid can stay above normal levels in your system. But that went away after about the first week and a half or so of staying sober (so did most of my join pain). I'm not a doctor but that's what really helped motivate me to quit this last time - stiffening up and feeling that lactic acid burn and thinking to myself that I reached another level with a new health issue. It was super uncomfortable and one of my knees was so sore because I don't think my leg muscles were keeping it stable enough. Three weeks later and feel normal (I think?) in those specific regards. Alcohol can destroy your body in so many obvious and weird ways. I just hope that I can figure out a way to keep my resolve forever this time.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:10 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
It's too big of a risk for you to wait for an angel.
I love this line.
Old 04-09-2021, 01:21 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
VinBx

Originally Posted by Baker123 View Post
At same time, this is not corroborated by thousands of heavy drinkers (many are/were drinking way more than me!). Just curious, as I am puzzled that not that many people here had that stiffness symptoms like mines, to the point of not being able to handwrite even my name.
I wonder if it could be associated with lactic acid buildup. I think that is what was going on with me for a few days before I quit (again) nightly (sometimes day too) binge drinking three weeks ago. My hands, feet and body (esp abs and the smallest part of my back) in general were stiff and sore in a way that didn't feel like dehydration and it would amp up a lot while I was drinking (even just from regular walking in my legs). The liver is responsible for breaking down lactic acid - when it is overwhelmed processing alcohol lactic acid can stay above normal levels in your system. But that went away after about the first week and a half or so of staying sober (so did most of my join pain). I'm not a doctor but that's what really helped motivate me to quit this last time - stiffening up and feeling that lactic acid burn and thinking to myself that I reached another level with a new health issue. It was super uncomfortable and one of my knees was so sore because I don't think my leg muscles were keeping it stable enough. Three weeks later and feel normal (I think?) in those specific regards. Alcohol can destroy your body in so many obvious and weird ways. I just hope that I can figure out a way to keep my resolve forever this time.[/QUOTE]

Baker,

That's a very interesting observation. I noticed many of my symptoms subside when I eased off from my crossfire workout. I know the body will produce much more lactic acid when you drink, but mix it up with strenuous excercise the lactic acid will build even more. I have slowed my excercise significantly since I quit drinking doe many reasons and noticed the lactic acid hasn't been as bad which in turn my symptoms have been much better. Not fully recovered but much better that I was.

Vinny