Notices
View Poll Results: Do you keep track of your days in sobriety?
Yes, I find it beneficial.
38.60%
No, it never benefited me.
7.02%
I am neutral on the issue. Whatever works for you.
54.39%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Counting our days sober?

Old 01-02-2021, 11:23 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I purposely didn’t note the day I made my Big Plan. The last time I REMEMBER drinking was June 4, 2017 at the Mike Muir mural ceremony. I quit a shortly after that.

For me, it was deliberate change in approach. This time, I didn’t want to know in the beginning. I didn’t want to count the days like it was a big deal. I was done, and on with the rest of my life.
Old 01-03-2021, 11:22 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

It's probably not for everyone but my goal is to work on recovery every day...not not drinking, and not even sobriety so much, but a consistent and disciplined approach to recovery. It's not a daily count but I know when it started.
Old 01-17-2021, 02:11 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
ZIP

Originally Posted by Rockbottom1964 View Post
I still count them. Not each and every day, like in the first few months, but enough to know that I'm on a year and about three weeks, getting closer to that 400-day mark. To me, I think, it's a thing of the more I pile up, the harder it will be to throw away.
Counting helped me stop; it made me set goals and feel good when I reached milestones. I suppose I'll eventually stop counting, but not yet. Maybe when I've piled up 500 or so.
And I'll never forget when I stopped, either. It was on my ex-wife's birthday - as a prezzy to myself and my liver.
I tend to agree.
I put a day counter on my cell phone when I finally decided to really quit the booze. I didn't refer to it much, but as the days and months clicked by I would occasionally glance at it. It provided reassurance that I had done the right thing, and accomplished something big--which I had previously been unable to do.
I recall being at a sports pizza party with my granddaughter when I was about 6 months sober. The league provided free pizza and drinks to the league players, family, and volunteers. The guy behind the counter was sliding mugs full of beer to the adults in the group. I took out my cellphone and and looked at the counter...maybe 175 days, or so.
I passed on the beer. I just couldn't go from 175 days of sobriety back to zero... All of that work, invested time, personal commitment, etc, would have tumbled out the door if I picked up that mug.
Old 01-26-2021, 08:34 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I like to come here and use the calculator from time to time but I dont keep track anymore. You better beleive I remember my first year sober but I have to admit to forgetting several anniversaries over the last 14 years.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:48 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Trying to Enjoy Life Now

I started since my last fall. I didn't before but I'm going to see if it helps keep me on track.