Notices

Stupid Me - Cat Bite

Old 12-20-2020, 05:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

Stupid Me - Cat Bite

Stupid me. I've moved to a new place noticed kitty prints outside my door. So, I started putting out food and hoping to see who the visitor is. Tonight I see this big, long-haired ginger tabby eating the food. Previously, I saw a black and white kitty. The black and white was not friendly and runs away with any motion. I opened the door to the ginger tabby and he (not sure if it's a he) was friendly and he let me pet him. He seemed to want more food, so I put a few more kibbles down. I then reached down and I guess he thought I was about to steal his food and he bit my hand.

It's a raked bite not deep but it certainly drew blood. It's on my the top of my right wrist. I quickly ran it under water and then dosed peroxide on it and some rubbing alcohol. It's not bleeding any more. It's superficial.

Of course I went to Dr. Google and read all sorts of nasty things about cat bites. Most seem to say things like watch it closely and if it appears infected at all to get your butt to a doctor. So, that is what I am going to do.

I know it was stupid. I know I should not pet strange animals. I am fairly certain this cat does not have rabies as I've seen it before 2 months ago. It is most likely a stray though and probably has not been vaccinated in awhile.

I don't want to tell my family because they'll just chastise me, so I came here.

As I said, I will watch closely and will go to the hospital if I get any symptoms.

CF
Old 12-20-2020, 05:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Not trying to scare you here, but if it's rabies it will be too late once you get symptoms. You could die. Good for you for immediately treating the wound. But please get to the doctor. If you don't know who owns the cat and can't quarantine it for observation they may well suggest rabies shots, and you need to start them pretty quick. Rabies is nothing to mess around with.

It's a 10 day waiting period (at least for dogs) IF the animal is under observation. If it doesn't die in that timeframe then it doesn't have rabies. But please don't mess around with it. I went through this with the neighbors dog that bit me last year. It was a weird reaction from the dog and we just didn't know as we have lots of rabies here in the desert. Could have been bit by a bat. But it was fine.
Old 12-20-2020, 06:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't know anything about rabies but I looked and it seems comparatively rare to be transmitted to humans in Canada,

I think it's a good general rule though to get a doctor to check out any bites from animals you're not familiar with.
It might be dumb Calicofish but I probably would have done it too

D
Old 12-20-2020, 06:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

Thanks Dee. I will go to the doctor if there are signs of infection/fever. This should show within 12 hours. I am going to phone about a rabies shot tomorrow, but I doubt this cat has it. He's just an old stray that wanders the neighbourhood. It looks like he would be a sweetie but I won't be petting him anymore. Learned my lesson.
Old 12-20-2020, 08:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
EndGame

I did the same thing. Also with a stray.

I was drinking at that time, but not yet on that evening.

I made the mistake of waiting another day until I went to the ED.

Whatever they gave me worked.

Old 12-20-2020, 08:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My cat bit everyone .
When he was a kitten , I tried to bring him in the house .
He bit me .
On the hand .
I was infected with Pasteurella Multoictda !
Was in hospital 5 days and they wanted to cut my arm off !See a
Dogs have same germs in mouths .
See a doc .
Old 12-21-2020, 07:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I opened my door one day and a cat came in.

I had my own two cats.

This stranger-cat went under the bed and when I tried to get it out I got bitten and it was a deep puncture wound.

I called animal control and they picked it up.

I went to Urgent Care and got a tetanus shot, but they didn't even mention rabies so I am assuming that it's almost unheard of for people to catch rabies from cats any more in First World countries - like Dee said.

I hope you're okay. I would bet you are.
Old 12-21-2020, 07:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

Good Morning all. My hand is fine this morning. No swelling or pain. I have no fever. I had a tetanus shot within 10 years. Of course I drove myself nuts last night with various scenarios. I ruminate too the extreme. I am such an animal lover that it's not the first time I've put myself in harms way.

Old 12-21-2020, 09:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Erica375

Calico, tell your doctor what happened. My daughter is a CVT ( Certified Veterinary Technician, a nurse for animals). She was SCRATCHED by a stray cat that was brought into the clinic and had to be vaccinated against rabies. This is not something to fool around with.

You have nothing to be ashamed of. You were performing a good deed, trying to help one of God's creatures. Take care of yourself so you can continue to perform good deeds. The world needs people like you.
Old 12-21-2020, 02:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

Thank you for all your concern. I've been seen by a doctor and am being treated accordingly.

CF
Old 12-21-2020, 03:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you're ok Calicofish
D
Old 12-21-2020, 03:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're okay, Calico, and don't be hard on yourself. You were being kind and helpful to the stray cats.