Notices

Gratitude

Old 11-15-2020, 04:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Gratitude

I see a lot of people talking about gratitude here. It seems to be a helpful thing to a lot of people. Could somebody explain how that works? Do you do any exercises to feel gratitude? What form does it take? How do you manifest it? Thanks
Old 11-30-2020, 08:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just bumping your post

I just read this article on the SR front page
https://www.soberrecovery.com/recove...-thanksgiving/
Thankful for the Truth That is You

So, on Thanksgiving Day, instead of looking around at all that is missing, look inward at all that’s been found. Focus on abundance rather than lack. Shift your perspective to one of gratitude, being thankful for all that you now have at this moment and for that which you have the opportunity to pursue in the future.

Be thankful for you, and let Thanksgiving kick off a daily practice of speaking gratitude for yourself and your recovery. After all, your presence is something that was lost to everyone, including yourself in active addiction, but you are returning home in recovery. Not to a physical place or geographical location, but to the truth that is you.

If nothing else, be grateful for that. Your presence truly is the greatest gift.
Old 11-30-2020, 08:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi 007. There is a practice that was recommended to me, that I have found very helpful. The idea is to start each morning writing out a few things I'm grateful for. It can be very small, simple things ("I'm grateful for this cup of tea, I'm grateful the heating in my house works on this cold morning, I'm grateful it's sunny, etc). Or it can be big things - I'm grateful for xxx (name of a specific friend in my life), I'm grateful for having a job, I'm grateful for my health. Its important to write it out by hand, and kind of "savor" each thing -- take a few moments to dwell on the good feeling I have about this fact or this person, etc. Over time this kind of "re-wires" the brain, trains the mind to focus on the many positive satisfying things in our lives (even though of course there are negatives too -- and this isn't denying the negative, it's just taking time to cultivate the positive).

It's a great way to start my day and over time has really changed my outlook. I hope this helps.
Old 12-01-2020, 02:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
dox
paradox

Gratitude List

Like tersiops, writing out a gratitude list was recommended to me. In early sobriety I did this. I was told that gratitude is an antidote to self-pity. These days when I srart to feel sorry for myself my thoughts eventually turn to gratitude.
I have found that, like other practices in my sobriety programme, with repitition, gratitude becomes a working part of the mind.
Today I am grateful for . . .
Soberrecovery
Enough food to eat
A (relatively) warm house
Peace of mind.