Notices

Queen’s Gambit

Old 11-25-2020, 01:32 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I just finished watching all 7 episodes! Fantastic! Hi highly recommend! When I first heard about the title "Queens Gambit" it didn't really interest me cause I thought it was strictly a chick flick! But then I heard a couple guys at a zoom AA meeting talking about watching it with their wives and how good it was and how it applies to us because of the addiction!

That's when I figured I got to give the first episode a try! I was hooked after the first episode! Not only does it have addiction involved, but there's a really touching, good story behind it too!
Old 11-25-2020, 02:29 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

It’s quite possibly the best show I’ve ever watched, it was just so impeccably done.

that it touched on addiction in such a poignant and real way was just the jaw dropping icing on the cake.
Old 11-25-2020, 03:36 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
It’s quite possibly the best show I’ve ever watched, it was just so impeccably done.

that it touched on addiction in such a poignant and real way was just the jaw dropping icing on the cake.
Impeccably done it was! Not only addiction involved, but such an inspirational story with heartfelt memories as she grew into a young woman! As a man I could totally relate!
Old 11-26-2020, 10:00 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I've been bingeing this show the last couple days - really mesmerizing!
Old 11-28-2020, 10:35 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Right now I'm watching the Leah Remini Scientology series. Holy moly. No pun intended but I'm leaving it.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81229101
Love her! When one apostate speaks we all do. She did an episode on the group I was raised in.

That Queen's Gambit was awesome. The only part that made me think of alcohol was her adopted mother. I was focused on how that affected the main character being a mom myself.
Old 11-29-2020, 02:02 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm 4 episodes in. It is so exquisitely shot with amazing period settings and costumes but manages not to be cheesy or corny - bar the first half of episode 1 which was a bit cheesy and where I thought it was going to be a lot more mainstream than it was. I obviously haven't gotten to the really "bad" bits yet but those old grand hotels, and the ordering of those martinis on the plane and in the hotel lobbies and up to the room etc and bonding with her mother (kinda) via the drinking - I'm not sure if triggering is the right word, but so, so appealing - in those bits you remember the times when alcohol used to "work" - although of course this is selective memory for sure - there was always a price, even before everything went to crap. I guess it's the kinda triggering that sows a seed in your mind for future though as opposed to immediately making me want to drink. I really love the Mother's character. I have to say I relate to her more than Beth but so much of Beth's thought processes and actions are like: bingo. So both relatable, for sure.

Interesting you mention Ozark, Sassy. I was just texting a friend that it's amazing how much casual drinking there is in that show. They obviously do it intentionally to draw in the viewer. Notice how their beautiful skin and complexion never gets affected by all of that neat scotch and casual beers they drink seemingly all the time. It's bordering on irresponsible. But I guess it's pretty standard in television and movies isn't it. Not exactly a new observation, but still. I'm like: come on! I bet you they look after themselves absolutely impeccably when filming that stuff. Anyway, hope you're well Sassy?
Old 11-29-2020, 06:45 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
Love her! When one apostate speaks we all do. She did an episode on the group I was raised in.

That Queen's Gambit was awesome. The only part that made me think of alcohol was her adopted mother. I was focused on how that affected the main character being a mom myself.
I thought of you when watching that series.

There are so many in religious bondage of one form or another. I'm glad you made it out.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:47 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Ok. Need to watch this now!
Old 12-04-2020, 09:28 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Superbly done series! The addiction scenes had tears running down my face.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:27 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I LOVED it and binged it in ONE day! I have never been able to understand how to play chess, so I was surprised I loved it so much.
Apparently, the sales of chess boards are way up which is kinda cool.
I have a friend who is a chess master (that’s a real thing) and he was blown away by the authenticity of the games.
It didn’t trigger me at all because the drinking was not portrayed as glamorous or fun. It reminded me of how many times I woke up and thought, “Ohhhh F***.....how am I going to cover my tracks today?”
Old 12-04-2020, 11:35 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I finished it up today. I have to say, I was expecting her to spiral hard. Feels like it skipped from her being seriously blotto to the show being neatly and happily wrapped up very quickly!
Old 12-05-2020, 02:01 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I would say the best film/series for sure ever made about chess. I also like how they used some real events in history and mixed it into the script. When she beats the world champion and he starts to applaud for example, this actually happened when Fischer beat Spassky in game 6 of the World Championship. Also when they are playing blitz looked like they threw in the opera house game which was a famous game played by Paul Morphy. Tons of example throughout the series. A bit unrealistic to be winning every game as chess at high levels is usually a ton of draws but obviously this makes for better film. Harmon is supposed to be Fischer so definitely could see them making a season 2 and showing the downward spiral. Chess has already gained some popularity over covid, it is a great game and actually a pretty good thing to do when cravings do come on. Something you will never really get bored of and no matter how good you get can always learn something new