Notices

That pungent sweat smell

Old 11-03-2020, 12:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

That pungent sweat smell

How long does it take until that terrible bad sweat smell goes away? No matter how much I shower, I sweat and it reeks!
Old 11-03-2020, 01:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It depends on the person I guess. I’m gonna say a week or so for me.
It’s one of the many things we can use as a memory to dissuade ourselves from drinking again.

D
Old 11-03-2020, 03:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For me, it took over a month. Mind you, I was a pretty "sweaty mess" in early recovery. As in, a lot of light exertion caused me to sweat. And I sweat A LOT. The smell wasnt so bad to be honest, but the frequency and amount of sweat was.

Anyways, short answer - a month.

Old 11-03-2020, 04:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Every cell in my body was made in conjunction with booze. It takes 5 years for all cells to regenerate.

I am just now a completely booze free entity. Yay!

Smell wise, like Dee said, maybe a month. But, if you eat a bunch of garlic, you will smell like garlic for a while immediately.

I dated a drunk for a while back in my youth. I was crazy about her. The only reason we broke up was because my job took me out of the country. She drank and smoked all the time. Plus she ate tons of garlic. So that weird funky smell is something I enjoy a little.

Different strokes.

Thanks.
Old 11-03-2020, 10:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

no more than two weeks in my case.
Old 11-20-2020, 09:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Years ago i used to work as a junior doctor in a British hospital and part of my work was in the so called drunk tank.

Alcohol does excrete through your sweat but if you're worried you should take a blood test. Not drinking immediately starts the liver healing process provided your not consuming too much sugar or soda.

Good luck
Old 12-02-2020, 04:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Lol thought it was just me. When I drink too much and sweat it smells like bleach....really strong. When I quit the last time it took about 10 days to rid myself of all the nasty side effects and then I enjoyed just being normal
Old 12-03-2020, 05:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Never knew much about body funk and sobering-up. I'm grateful for that LOL.
Old 12-04-2020, 05:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I would love to get sweaty after a tough night as it'd help me feel better. However the sweat overwhelmingly smelled of bleach? Was I sweating bleach out lol?
Old 12-04-2020, 07:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by proudtobehere View Post
I would love to get sweaty after a tough night as it'd help me feel better. However the sweat overwhelmingly smelled of bleach? Was I sweating bleach out lol?
Its probably not a good... or a lol thing.

https://time.com/4079549/sweat-smells-like-ammonia/
https://www.wellandgood.com/alcohol-body-odor-sweating/
https://www.healthline.com/health/alcoholism/ketoacidosis
Old 12-08-2020, 03:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober since October 24, 1997

Wow! Thanks for posting.
First off, I'm a chemist (not a pharmacist kind of chemist for those of the British Isles, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand).
The only thing I smelled like was acetaldehyde and faintly of vinegar in my hat. The acetaldehyde is from the normal oxidation of alcohol by the liver, and the vinegar is acetic acid produced by normal skin bacteria "fermenting' the acetaldehyde from my sweat. Acetaldehyde has an odor that is not unpleasant. When someone says a person has alcohol on the breath, what they are actually smelling is mostly acetaldehyde, not alcohol.

As far as ammonia, when I wash just my armpits with bar soap that is alkaline, small amounts ammonia gas are produced from a reaction with the alkaline soap with ammonium compounds that have been in turn produced by bacteria from urea from my sweat. When an alcoholic develops ammonia odor all over the body when wet with sweat plus has ammonia on the breath, they have liver damage where the liver is unable to convert the normal ammonia produced by ordinary metabolic processes into urea. I was informed by a hospice care nurse that people who have cirrhosis of the liver and are in the final stages of dying, they have a strong odor of ammonia about them.