Notices

Activities that make you feel amazing

Old 10-30-2020, 06:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Activities that make you feel amazing

Does anybody have any activities that give you some kind of high that stops you from wanting to drink? For me it's running long distances. I get the runners high haha. But I can't do it all the time. Let's make a list of great things that we can do instead of drink!
Old 10-30-2020, 12:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Staying active has been huge for me the past few weeks. I've been walking with a 25lb. ruck and that is a workout for sure! To that end, I admire distance runners and would like to do an ultra someday!

On the opposing end, sleep is a work in progress. I get to bed at a good time and wake up feeling rested, but by noontime I am really struggling, more emotionally than anything. I was really craving a drink when I got off work today.
Old 10-30-2020, 03:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by 007 View Post
Does anybody have any activities that give you some kind of high that stops you from wanting to drink?
It may be an innocent turn of phrase, but I think the idea of chasing a "high" to stop you from wanting the "high" of drinking might be the wrong approach. Find an activity you enjoy, one that will enhance your sober life, as opposed to being a substitute for drinking.
Old 10-30-2020, 04:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with Carl. I hope it’s a turn of phrase too, but I get nervous when folks look for a replacement high. Reality has enough highs and lows for me.

D
Old 10-30-2020, 05:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I find it useful to slow down, use all my senses, be observant, notice things, be in the moment.
Old 10-31-2020, 09:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I have know about the 'runners high'. Like parachuting or driving a race car up 'pikes peak'. The adrenaline kicks in big time!
For me it's trying to fly a big kite in strong wind. I get bussy kite flying. It's a free high LOL. There's a 3rd floor patio here. Perfect for flying kites and losing kites
Old 10-31-2020, 01:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My favorite activity that makes me feel good is walking (and interacting with) my dog. It doesn't give me an endorphin-like 'high' but rather, makes me feel peaceful and contented. I get the satisfaction of knowing she's in good health and active, enjoys her life, checking her peemail and looking around at her world. I know that my staying sober is the reason why I can take such good care of her and that means the world to me.

I'm not looking for a 'high', either real or artificial, but like the peaceful feeling I get from interacting with my little dog and my two cats. And because I live with my dog and cats, I never feel lonely or alone.
Old 10-31-2020, 10:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Anytime I bike or run I'm glad I did. I can't count the number of times I've dragged myself out there not really wanting to do it, and by mile two or three I'm so happy I did. I've even gone to the gym with a full migraine headache, and somehow worked through it and felt completely better when I was done.

I have to say, I've been a decent runner since high school and have done 12 or 13 marathons and probably a hundred 5k and 8ks, and I have never experienced runners high, not even once.

Back in the bad old days, in true alcoholic form I combined drinking with running and biking, and I would do crazy things with my water bottles and have wine coolers and stuff in some of them. I used to run under the influence of alcohol, and later on pot, lots of times. I'm glad those days are over.
Old 11-01-2020, 09:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Like a couple other posters, I don't think of it as chasing highs, but I do try to cultivate habits that make me feel good.

My current favorites include a brisk walk up the hills in my neighborhood, and warm baths at night. In the mornings while drinking my tea, I quietly observe my small backyard garden, feeling the sun and breeze and watching the butterflies, birds, bees and squirrels. I've gotten to know the inhabitants of my yard, watching with binoculars while a pair of towhees built a nest and tended young this summer.

The other major source of satisfaction is helping someone ... My stepson and his wife just had a baby, and I've been bringing meals, cleaning their house, and caring for the baby so they can get a rest. Nothing compares to the joy of helping someone else.
Old 11-05-2020, 06:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
Anytime I bike or run I'm glad I did. I can't count the number of times I've dragged myself out there not really wanting to do it, and by mile two or three I'm so happy I did. I've even gone to the gym with a full migraine headache, and somehow worked through it and felt completely better when I was done.

I have to say, I've been a decent runner since high school and have done 12 or 13 marathons and probably a hundred 5k and 8ks, and I have never experienced runners high, not even once.

Back in the bad old days, in true alcoholic form I combined drinking with running and biking, and I would do crazy things with my water bottles and have wine coolers and stuff in some of them. I used to run under the influence of alcohol, and later on pot, lots of times. I'm glad those days are over.
I have done many things drunk in my day, but long distance running certainly was not one of them.. I think I would throw up a quarter mile in. How the heck did you pull something like that off?
Old 11-05-2020, 06:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 007 View Post
Does anybody have any activities that give you some kind of high that stops you from wanting to drink? For me it's running long distances. I get the runners high haha. But I can't do it all the time. Let's make a list of great things that we can do instead of drink!
Intense workouts get me feeling great... I’m talking hard core, fast paced, feel like I’m going to die, type of workout. CrossFit usually does the trick for me.
Old 11-07-2020, 07:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Being productive in ways that are meaningful for me and align with my goals usually feels the most rewarding and satisfying for me. It can be anything: completing small chores that I otherwise don't want to deal with, reading a good book or listening to music I love, solving problems, interesting work, any positive self-care activity, hiking and other forms of exercise I enjoy (not just push myself for the sake of moving), a good conversation, any sense of improvement... the list can go on and it's not hard to find new things to add. Engaging in some of these things can indeed feel like a form of momentary high (because of the enjoyment of the process or the results), some more other things less so. I personally don't see anything wrong with desiring that feelings and finding balanced, healthy activities to achieve it - this is how motivation essentially works. We need positive, uplifting experiences to be inspired and to keep going.
Old 11-08-2020, 01:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GoodLife32 View Post
I have done many things drunk in my day, but long distance running certainly was not one of them.. I think I would throw up a quarter mile in. How the heck did you pull something like that off?
I had a ritual where I would dump wine coolers into water bottles then freeze them until slushy, and then if I was training on a track I would keep them in my gym bag and then every three or four laps I would stop for a drink, so I usually was able to burn off the alcohol and not really feel intoxicated and get in some decent miles. It was pretty crazy, but that's what I did. Later on I adapted the same thing to biking,, but I didn't burn it off as fast I would get drunk while biking with predictable results. I'm really really glad those days are over.
Old 11-18-2020, 03:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Coffee made me feel good. Seem to be drinking a lot more of it since I quit.
Old 11-18-2020, 03:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Going for walks outdoors definitely is the biggest one for me, the combination of nature and exercise seems to melt away any of the day's stresses. Mindfulness and deep breathing also help for those in the moment stresses when I need to center myself.
Old 11-18-2020, 09:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

YES. I have things I do that are guaranteed to make me feel better.

1. epsom salt baths for hours.

2. Fasting. Not recommended if you have history of anorexia, but it always makes me clearer.

3. Forest bathing. This involves camping.

4. The beach. Feet in sand, wading the water, listening to the sound.

5. walks outdoors! Just wander. I don’t workout when I walk: I stroll. Take your dog. Look at the trees. If it’s really hot let it soak into your skin, immerse yourself in it. If it’s windy or cold wear a warm jacket and look at the trees whispering, waving. Stressed? Go walk. Bored and overeating? Go walk. Day off? Walk more. The further you go the better it feels.

Old 11-18-2020, 09:21 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
I had a ritual where I would dump wine coolers into water bottles then freeze them until slushy, and then if I was training on a track I would keep them in my gym bag and then every three or four laps I would stop for a drink, so I usually was able to burn off the alcohol and not really feel intoxicated and get in some decent miles. It was pretty crazy, but that's what I did. Later on I adapted the same thing to biking,, but I didn't burn it off as fast I would get drunk while biking with predictable results. I'm really really glad those days are over.
Ha. I’d go do hiit classes: hard core vigorous exercise for an hour completely fasted, go home, and start drinking. Bigger hit and high drinking with no food + hard exercise. Sorry if that triggers anyone. Alcoholic here, there wasn’t much that I did that didn’t involve drinking.
Old 11-19-2020, 10:10 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Running, sprinting and playing racket sports. Coffee is also good and I hear its good for the liver? Hope so.

Sw
Old 11-19-2020, 02:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
sober style

I used to know this weird guy named Kreskin, claimed that everything he did made him feel amazing! He may have had a point, that old rascal. Once we get sober, even the most mundane things can seem amazing when looked at thru the fresh eyes of someone given new life.
Old 11-19-2020, 08:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SnazzyDresser View Post
I used to know this weird guy named Kreskin, claimed that everything he did made him feel amazing! He may have had a point, that old rascal. Once we get sober, even the most mundane things can seem amazing when looked at thru the fresh eyes of someone given new life.

The trees are so beautiful right now I am almost overcome. The flash of gold, red, yellow; how they rain down with a quiet flutter when the wind picks up. The air is crisp and there are clouds in the sky, my coat is warm and the breeze kisses me as I walk by.

I don’t know how to describe to my friends on Facebook what it feels like to wander through those trees right now, it’s like a dream. It’s breathtaking.

Every chance I get I take my little dog outside, I walk, and I look up at those leafy giants. There’s so much magic in the world when you are able to notice.