Notices

What an ODD sensation ...

Old 10-16-2020, 08:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up What an ODD sensation ...

I’m sitting here this morning having just talked to both my Dad and my youngest son, Uriah. We had wonderfully informative and short talks (I'm not much of a phone person). They’re both doing great!

I’m waiting for my coffee to brew, thinking to myself “So THIS is what happiness feels like. DAMN!! I’d forgotten. Happiness does not exist as an experience for addicts and alcoholics. I went without experiencing one ounce of it for nearly 24 years!

As I consider my emotional state right now, I’m not sure I’ve actually experienced much happiness my whole life, which might explain why I’m feeling so grateful and appreciative at the moment. But I know this much about this happiness I’m experiencing – I want to experience THIS again!

Happiness is the GOOD stuff!
Old 10-16-2020, 09:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

great to hear you had this experience, LumenandNyx!
and ugh, going 24 years without one ounce of it sounds just dreadful.
but i wouldn't go from a personal experience, common though it may be, to generalizing about what is so for all alcoholics. i certainly had experiences of happiness as an alcoholic, but they weren't while drinking
Old 10-16-2020, 12:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

In my experience LumenandNyx, the best way to generate happiness for myself is to seek it for others.
Old 10-16-2020, 12:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What is this sorcery? My mouth doesn't taste like the bottom of a birdcage, my head isn't ready to explode, I'm up early in morning and actually feel good. How did this happen? Oh yeah, I stopped drinking.
Old 10-16-2020, 01:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
sober style

Uriah is a very unusual name. Hopefully he didn't go thru a "heep" of teasing about it from his peers.
Old 10-16-2020, 01:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SnazzyDresser View Post
Uriah is a very unusual name. Hopefully he didn't go thru a "heep" of teasing about it from his peers.
They were a great band, and he's one cool guy!

Old 10-16-2020, 01:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I like your son's name

I think happiness is a quite complex concept and experience, a bit like love. There are many subjective versions and more universal experiences of it, all can be valid. Alcohol gives us a sense of very temporary euphoria that we keep chasing at the cost of losing many other forms of joy and happiness that can be part of life. It's really a weird thing if you think about it. Great to hear that you have happy moments now and recognize their value! I recognized in sobriety how I overlooked the value of many happy experiences earlier in life, even before I started drinking. I would say that part of it is also maturation and life experience itself, but sobriety definitely makes a big difference in it all.
Old 10-16-2020, 03:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you're having a good day LumenandNyx - another Heep fan here

D