Notices

Sleep, wonderful sleep...

Old 10-17-2020, 01:07 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rockbottom1964 View Post
Hi, Dropsie. "Just walking in the rain", here. Good days and bad, or rather bad days and not so bad. My situation remains the same, but as you know, I'm working on changing it. The surrounds I'm in, unfortunately, gets so "toxic" at times (a lot), that I just get up and walk away, even if it is just 30 or 40 metres. Just to get away from the virulent hatred, screaming and slurring and swearing of the old man. My writing, then, of course, just stops; imagination and peace having flown, yet again - my characters gone into hiding...
Gods...Lock-down again? Where are you, Dropsie? because if it's happening anywhere, the government here will shortly follow suit - only much stricter and longer than anywhere else - to show the rest of the world that in Africa they/we do it better. Sorry, Dee. I'm going to have to start watching the numbers again; when they begin going up, Lockdown will kick in again, and a much worse hell for me - like the last time of the alcoholics going dry.
Your friend, RB.
Sorry about the abrupt ending there, Dropsie, but I had a call and had to stop my Internet connection; Data here in South Africa is extremely expensive - the most expensive in the world, in fact.
So just to clarify: - by the "alcoholics", I mean "still drinking alcoholics", my dad and stepmom. As you know, "Lockdown" here also means no booze sales as well as no cigarette sales. Legal, that is; the black market thrives. And as I said a couple of months back - sharing a house with two drunks, is much, much easier than sharing it with two "forced into abstinence", suffering-withdrawal-alcoholics...
Have a nice weekend, Dropsie
Old 10-17-2020, 04:16 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I live in Belgium and our numbers are through the roof. More than three times what they were at the height of the previous lockdown.

I was thinking of you last night because for the first time the measures address alcohol sales expressly -- none after 8pm. And all bars and restos closed again for another month. So nothing like was the case in SA where they banned sales of booze, but I think they saw that the young people were buying booze from late night shops and then hanging in parks etc.

I just wish there were some way you could get out of there. In the meantime, keep the faith.
Old 10-17-2020, 07:49 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dropsie View Post
I live in Belgium and our numbers are through the roof. More than three times what they were at the height of the previous lockdown.

I was thinking of you last night because for the first time the measures address alcohol sales expressly -- none after 8pm. And all bars and restos closed again for another month. So nothing like was the case in SA where they banned sales of booze, but I think they saw that the young people were buying booze from late night shops and then hanging in parks etc.

I just wish there were some way you could get out of there. In the meantime, keep the faith.
Hi, Dropsie, and thanks for the heads-up. Belgium…did you know that Flemish and Afrikaans (my native language) are very similar? We can actually converse and understand one another.
So if the second wave is up there now, it should/will hit us down here in about a month’s time; that was the scenario last time around. Bad news all around except for those making millions out of illegal tobacco and booze sales. Millions of people here – especially in the “Hospitality Industry”: restaurants, hotels, clubs, etc. – have already lost their jobs. And we already have a unemployment rate “unofficial” of more than 40%.
As for getting out? Thanks, Dropsie, for your good thoughts and wishes. I will, hopefully in less than a year from now. Until then, I’m better each day. And grateful for it.
You’re on the same time-line as me, so have a great evening and a beautiful Autumn Sunday there. It’s Spring down here, but there's nothing beautiful about it.

Your friend
RB.