Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Lowered social inhibitions kept and introspection

Notices

Old 09-25-2020, 01:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Something I realized in IOP was how much I was attracted to events and gatherings because of the overall lowering of social inhibitions.When I was binge drinking, i had forgotten how to relax and be at ease in my sober life. I had become extremely self possessed over the years and tried to be stoic as much as possible. Thats where alcohol got a foothold with me because I then used it as an excuse to "lighten up" and relax.

But the other part of this equation was that I also depended on other people being what I thought was less judgmental, more engaging, open and willing to "have fun" in ways I didn't t think was possible if we were all sober. I used to get a ego boost from walking into a bar and having people yell out my name and I would think to myself that this is something that would never happen in a sober setting.

Id also come to rely on drinking circles to find girlfriends. i told myself no one sober would ever give me the time of day and the only way I could meet someone is if alcohol was involved so they would be willing to speak to me and maybe have an interest.

A big part of my recovery was to look at a bunch of these behaviors, attitudes and justifications and work on myself so that I could move forward in a sober life. Im just being reflective right now and I didn't really want to call anyone up and muse about these things so I am just sharing on SR.

Thanks everyone on here who helps each other out each and every day.

Old 09-26-2020, 12:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for the mussings.

I think many of us felt the same.

I am very social, but wondered how much fun it would be sober.

It is different, but still fun. Although I find most events are shorter.

Unlike many, I never changed what I do, I just do it less and shorter. I go to meet my friends at bars, concerts, dinners. I just dont drink.

Not so easy at first, but now totally normal