Notices

Is Life What We Thought It Was?

Old 09-10-2020, 12:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is Life What We Thought It Was?

Hi SR,

After 5 years sober I feel like my old attitudes towards life don't make as much sense. When I was binge drinking I was managing highs and lows and it created attitudes about life that still linger. Instead of disaster around the next corner, I have control (to some extent). Instead of the excitement of the crash, I have plans. The two attitudes still collide with each other. Does any of that make sense?

SIC
Old 09-10-2020, 12:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

One thing I've learned as I aged is that not only do things change - sometimes they change gradually and sometimes instantly. Either way - if I adopt a rigid attitude or choose to look at things only one way, the harder it's going to be for me to adapt - - - to life. My reactions need to be flexible. My feelings might not change a lot over time, but my perception and my attitude have to. I'm the only one who suffers otherwise.
Old 09-10-2020, 12:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
nez

I understand what you are saying and can relate. The way I keep the two attitudes from colliding with each other is by reminding myself that it is fine to make plans and put them into action, but I just need to make sure that I don't plan outcomes.
Old 09-11-2020, 02:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
sober style

There's a lot of wisdom to be had simply by paying attention to what's going on with us, our lived experience. Sobriety makes that possible again and represents an awakening, also a chance to become a more authentic version of this self we've been given.
Old 09-11-2020, 04:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great post, so articulate.

I find myself finding other ways to create chaos...which sadly I excel at.

I am also at five years.