Notices

How much have you poured down the drain?

Old 08-31-2020, 05:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How much have you poured down the drain?

I always buy the 1.75 L thinking it's the best value. However more often than not I end up pouring a substantial portion in the toilet. I am keeping New Amsterdam in business all by myself. Close second is Cranberry juice from Ocean Spray. No joke I have poured GALLONS down the drain reaching for that willpower to quit. Nights sober are amazing. Nights drunk are fun to begin but always end in regret. Yes believe it or not watching tv and movies is my respite, but lately have found myself enjoying old movies. Recently saw Apollo 13 which was amazing. I can't tell you how much I want to quit. Just want to get back to the boring nights I enjoyed for a year and a half. Sleep was amazing. I was so rested.
Old 08-31-2020, 06:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I don't know how much I poured down the drain, but I know that once I quit buying/drinking it, I didn't have to pour any more down the sink. I hope you'll make the decision to stop drinking before something awful happens.
Old 08-31-2020, 07:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I never poured anything out as an active alcoholic but since then I have learned it is possible to do that...

I bought a bottle on one very bad day early on in my sobriety, but I dumped it before I got home.

The $20-30 or whatever I spent on the bottle was a great investment in my recovery

D
Old 08-31-2020, 09:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i never dumped anything out.
but i broke and threw out a lot of smokes in my many attempts to quit. would cave, buy a pack, have two, get very angry with myself, break the smokes and do it all again the next day.
Old 09-01-2020, 12:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi, Speed. I haven't poured any alcohol down it, no. But I have poured many thousands of dollars down the drain. Also my marriage, happiness, health, and many other things...
Old 09-01-2020, 03:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Never poured any out. I always hate to see that even though if it helps your health then go for it. I figure at least give it away. Best not to buy any in the first place.
Old 09-01-2020, 03:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey rockbottom - totally relate to your share. Finally just getting some kind of a life back. Lot of sad, wasted years.
Old 09-02-2020, 12:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Awake61 View Post
Hey rockbottom - totally relate to your share. Finally just getting some kind of a life back. Lot of sad, wasted years.
Hi, Awake. I hear you, friend. The total s*** we do to ourselves, the heartache we cause ourselves and others, right? Tinned or bottled, booze is liquid heartache, loneliness, and just plain hurt.
I'm getting there (repairing myself) too, but it all just seems to be so very "slow-track", if you know what I mean. But I suppose we can't expect everything to suddenly get all better and great when we took years to f*** it up...
Have a great rest of the week, Awake.
Old 09-02-2020, 04:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes, I did this several times. I would buy alcohol, get drunk, and then feel disgusted with myself and pour the rest out in an attempt to get myself to quit drinking.

It never really worked though. I might have stopped for a few days, but I would just buy more the next time the urge got too strong again.
Old 09-02-2020, 06:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I read what this stuff has done to people and know I am not alone. It cost me two DUII's my life for 3 years was a waste which ultimately cost me my marriage. Now I am divorced 2 and half months suffering in sobriety at the pain I caused and the women I lost and all I did was for not. I accomplished very little was not sleeping well angry most of the time neglected my then wife. I hate that I have no control now that I am sober and trying to recover from all the loss all I can seem to feel is sadness, sorrow and anger. I have been told it will get better on the path to sobriety and loss of marriage but I want so bad to turn back the hands of time and slap myself into who i used to be before my disease. Thank you all for being here as well I have never needed Soberrecovery so bad and to just read what other people have gone through I need it now more than ever. God bless you all.
Old 09-02-2020, 08:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
sober style

Back when I was a drunk, any beer or vodka or demon Ron Bacardi rum that somhow made it into my house (zomg how did that get here!) was going into my body with dead certainty. There was never anything left over to worry about. Once I got sober, I stopped buying it and bringing it home.