Notices

Up and down

Old 08-04-2020, 03:35 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Are you opposed to AA? I think you could benefit from the work involved. Sobriety is action. Not passive, but active actions. It makes a difference!
Hi Sugarbear, I'm sure you are right about this. While I don't believe AA is for me, I 100% agree with you that action is key. I've definitely had a lot of therapy where I've worked through what I imagine is what a person would do with a sponsor. I have nothing against AA at all (how could I? - it's saved countless lives!), it's just not for me. But who knows, maybe I'll change my mind some day. I never thought I'd become addicted to alcohol, and look at me now. So, stranger things have happened. Thank you for your advice!
Old 08-05-2020, 09:35 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I am not going to attend AA meetings for a variety of reasons, but I have thought about doing the steps with GottaLife if he was willing one of these days. Was thinking it might be a good thing to DO to support your sobriety and hanging out with GottaLife gotta be terrific. X
Old 08-05-2020, 11:01 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dropsie View Post
I am not going to attend AA meetings for a variety of reasons, but I have thought about doing the steps with GottaLife if he was willing one of these days. Was thinking it might be a good thing to DO to support your sobriety and hanging out with GottaLife gotta be terrific. X
Haha that does sound good!
Old 08-05-2020, 06:56 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

The steps just aren’t my thing, at least for now. But I do, of course, appreciate the advice.

I’ll be at day 458 tomorrow. So 15 months. That’s quite an achievement for me. I’m very proud...but also very necessarily cautious (I’ve had too many dangerous moments not to know I must stay ultra cautious). I’ve started writing a 5 line gratitude list in the gratitude section every morning and every night. I won’t let myself miss even one (that’s the addicted personality in me...all or nothing ). I do believe practicing gratitude is essential, and I thank Least, in particular, for drilling it in my head to start this. It is such a simple and easy thing to do, but I had never gotten around to doing it. I now realize I can’t afford not to do it. I must admit, I’ve enjoyed it and think it’s Really helping. So if Least hasn’t already encouraged/bullied you into it also, I highly recommend it.

On top of the gratitude list, I’ve been reading and posting here more. I had definitely slacked on that. Over time, I think that weakened my sobriety. So, no more slacking. I’ll try not to get in any online spats with people now that I’ll be visiting more often. I tend to get feistier here than in real life. So, as a reminder in advance, I do mean well.

I like statistics. Apparently 85% of people who make five years stay sober forever. That’s lot. Today I’m 25% of the way to five years. That feels comforting. Weird, but what can I say? That’s the way my brain works. 🤷‍♀️
Old 08-09-2020, 04:28 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

SoHard,

Just checking in.

I am away staying in a B&B house with a couple who both drink from the moment they wake up until they sleep everyday. She especially is an accomplished woman and it is so hard to watch.

I am here with friends. They have no issue with alcohol addiction, but still on the first night the son could not join for dinner because he was over served on the beach and last night the wife was overserved at dinner and the whole family was angry with her.

Long way of saying that I think its the universe's way of showing me just what a bad idea the whole thing is even for those who do not have issues. Which we all "know", but sometimes seeing it, living it, is different.

So, we got this.
Old 08-09-2020, 03:38 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Administrator

How's it going SoHard?

D
Old 08-10-2020, 07:05 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
quat

Yeah, how’s it ( I wanna say hangin’ , but the would be gauch) so..leanin’?
Old 08-25-2020, 03:54 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Missing you partner.

how is it going?
Old 08-28-2020, 07:25 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sohard View Post

I like statistics. Apparently 85% of people who make five years stay sober forever. That’s lot. Today I’m 25% of the way to five years. That feels comforting. Weird, but what can I say? That’s the way my brain works. 🤷‍♀️
If I can just get to 5 years!! That sounds like a long old grind!! I hope you snap out of the funk and can reframe your thoughts on it.