SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   You stop drinking by believing on Jesus Christ (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/448638-you-stop-drinking-believing-jesus-christ.html)

Fronting 07-26-2020 02:33 AM

You stop drinking by believing on Jesus Christ

Faith only lest any man boast. There is no AAA that saves you. There is no friends that save you. It is the blood of Jesus Christ that saves you and nothing less.

Dee74 07-26-2020 02:58 AM

I think if a forum like this proves anything it's that there's no one way to get into recovery.
Many methods are secular based.

I actually wasn't a believer when I got sober and hadn't been for many years, although I've re embraced my faith since

How is your recovery going Fronting?

D

Reid82 07-26-2020 03:02 AM

Whatever floats your boat, man. But there are plenty of people (myself included) who have done it a different way :)

LumenandNyx 07-26-2020 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Fronting (Post 7483661)
Faith only lest any man boast. There is no AAA that saves you. There is no friends that save you. It is the blood of Jesus Christ that saves you and nothing less.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it wasn't the blood of Jesus that saved me. I saved myself.
But - to each our own.

Best.

SnazzyDresser 07-26-2020 10:05 AM

My people are from the Missouri Ozarks, and my grandma who lived to be 102 years old used to say there's more than 1 way to skin a cat.

Lots of ways to get sober. About a zillion I'd say. Hell, even atheists can get sober from what I hear!

Now I am Christian myself, I'll admit. Or I guess I'm proud to say hahaha. It almost feels like a crime these days. I'm a proud AAA member too btw, that old Prius of mine doesn't start sometimes.

SoberLeigh 07-26-2020 10:12 AM

I have absolutely no doubt that His help is invaluable in our efforts to attain sobriety and recovery but WE must do the hard work ourselves.

Db1105 07-26-2020 01:45 PM

AA worked for me. I could believe in anything I wanted to.

Dee74 07-26-2020 02:44 PM

How are things, Fronting?

D

Fronting 07-26-2020 06:24 PM

Hi Dee. I'm doing good. I'm living with my mother looking out for her as she is getting older now. I do have some beer on the weekends but I stopped my over the top drunkenness black out garbage. Thanks for asking. Hope you are doing well too.

My title is a bit misleading as many people quit drinking for all kinds of reasons. I think my point with the title is what is the utmost important thing in my life? Getting saved about a year or so ago. I knew the bible for many years but I didn't fully understand just how much grace God was offering for absolutely free, a gift. Instead of being depressed and drinking to black out so I forget I am even alive now all I have to do is remember my salvation and I get a joyful feeling only Jesus can supply me with. The King James bible!

I just realized what a lie I am telling myself. I still do need to stop drinking.

Dee74 07-26-2020 06:46 PM

Yeah I really think you do.
Looking back, nothing stands, or stood, more firmly between me and God than drunkenness.

D

fini 07-26-2020 07:26 PM

Fronting, yeah, the title is misleading in a couple of ways. one of them being that prescription to others by using the “you”, when in reality you are talking about yourself.
in any case, i hope you will be able to stop drinking once you decide that is what you want. and if your faith can make that happen, more power to it!

Fronting 07-26-2020 09:08 PM

I don't want this thread to come off like I can't even quit even though I am saved. I want this thread to show as Jesus saves even the sinner like me. For it is far more important to be saved than it is to stop a sin.

BullDog777 07-26-2020 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Fronting (Post 7484091)
I don't want this thread to come off like I can't even quit even though I am saved. I want this thread to show as Jesus saves even the sinner like me. For it is far more important to be saved than it is to stop a sin.

I knew this old biker named Cowboy and he used to say that "Jesus loves babies, drunks and fools." Get to talkin to him and he'd say, "simply put, this meant you stood a 2/3 chance for divine intervention" if you were still drinkin.

I consider myself a Christian. However, your statement "it is far more important to be saved than it is to stop a sin" I think that sounds like an excuse to keep making poor choices. An this is the problem with a lot of Christians nowadays. They think as long as they do the whole born again prayer that their eternal life is forged in stone and they can keep engaging in whatever terrible **** they're doing.

To be a Christian is to be "Christ like". You cannot live a righteous life engaging in the same sinful acts. There has to be repentance and a change of behavior. As it is defined" Repentance is the activity of reviewing one's actions and feeling contrition or regret for past wrongs, which is accompanied by commitment to and actual actions that show and prove a change for the better." Will I continue to sin? Of course, but if I truly repent, do I justify the sinful act? I don't think so.

So...to me, if you claim to be a child of Christ, you better walk the talk . There are too many people nowadays using religion for anything but what it was designed for.

Bekindalways 07-27-2020 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by BullDog777 (Post 7484095)
I knew this old biker named Cowboy and he used to say that "Jesus loves babies, drunks and fools." Get to talkin to him and he'd say, "simply put, this meant you stood a 2/3 chance for divine intervention" if you were still drinkin.

I consider myself a Christian. However, your statement "it is far more important to be saved than it is to stop a sin" I think that sounds like an excuse to keep making poor choices. An this is the problem with a lot of Christians nowadays. They think as long as they do the whole born again prayer that their eternal life is forged in stone and they can keep engaging in whatever terrible **** they're doing.

To be a Christian is to be "Christ like". You cannot live a righteous life engaging in the same sinful acts. There has to be repentance and a change of behavior. As it is defined" Repentance is the activity of reviewing one's actions and feeling contrition or regret for past wrongs, which is accompanied by commitment to and actual actions that show and prove a change for the better." Will I continue to sin? Of course, but if I truly repent, do I justify the sinful act? I don't think so.

So...to me, if you claim to be a child of Christ, you better walk the talk . There are too many people nowadays using religion for anything but what it was designed for.

Well said Bulldog.

Fronting, I hope your relationship with Jesus Christ will be a huge help in stopping drinking.