SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   I dont get withdrawal symptoms from alcohol (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/448346-i-dont-get-withdrawal-symptoms-alcohol.html)

Laura3 07-11-2020 07:00 AM

I dont get withdrawal symptoms from alcohol

I know its weird. Its stopped me from quitting in the past because I thought id need pills or itd be rough but nothing but a little anxiety even after drinking every day heavily for years. Im on day 2 now and nothing

Kaptn 07-11-2020 07:05 AM

Welcome Laura3,
I also had few physical withdrawal symptoms but some things came into play by day 9. Best wishes on your continued recovery. A lack of symptoms is not a plus for continuing to drink. Glad you are here!

biminiblue 07-11-2020 07:13 AM

I would highly suggest going to an AA meeting.

One of my Great Delusions (and there were many) was that, "I'm fine! I quit easily, see??"

Yeah, right. So I went to AA meetings because I was lonely and I also knew I had some anxiety and depression and I thought being around sober people would help. Maybe I'd make a friend. What I found there snapped me into my reality. I wasn't fine. I may not have had serious withdrawals, but I was FAR from "fine."

I don't mean to make light, but Day 2 is very early on and at least since 2018 you've been trying to make this stick. Keep it going.

Maybe reread this thread of yours. https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...member-me.html

Laura3 07-11-2020 07:24 AM

Im not saying im fine, im far from fine. I just find it odd. I hear these horror stories and I never had anything close to that every time I stopped. I guess it must be alcoholic genes or something. I have had withdrawal from drugs though. I'll have to check and see if meetings are open here yet, most likely not. I know it gets tougher but just taking it one day at a time for now. Im not expecting any miracles without meetings or detox etc. I might relapse, I might not, the important thing is I wake up every day with the intentions of not drinking.

biminiblue 07-11-2020 07:27 AM

I was drinking a LOT for many years.

I didn't have a seizure (that I know of) or anything outwardly alarming, but anxiety is a symptom. The racing heart, the feeling of doom, the depression. All that goes away with continuous longterm sobriety. You've done damage.

Day 2 is early enough that you can't really know how this will all play out. You're not necessarily out of the woods.

Laura3 07-11-2020 07:31 AM

True, funny thing is I did get shakes or maybe even seizures while I was drinking heavily. Im just backwards I guess. I know its a long journey, Ive done this before in the past, not so much from alcohol but the long term effects are probably similar. Im going to use that experience to get through this, I hope

Hawkeye13 07-11-2020 08:22 AM

I first started trying to quit about 9 years ago, and had no serious withdrawal symptoms either. With two alcoholic parents, I assumed I had the genes for it too. The withdrawals typically progress like the addiction itself, each relapse and quit attempt gets rougher as your organs and detox systems accumulate damage, though progression isn’t linear. Some quits gave me minimal symptoms, some harsher.

Kindling began to really show up about 5 years ago or so. Last 4 years were nasty, and final quit one year ago was horrible with acute anxiety, racing heart, insomnia, and intermittent sharp pains in my head. I feel so lucky I escaped without a seizure.

Something to not look forward to should you keep relapsing. None of us indestructible. Make this quit stick :grouphug:

biminiblue 07-11-2020 08:56 AM

Here's a good NIH link/article about Kindling.

https://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publicati...22-1/25-34.pdf

Laura3 07-11-2020 10:07 AM

Thanks for the advice, I was reading about kindling this morning. Definitely dont want to get to that point

Laura3 07-11-2020 10:48 AM

I would never vomit either these last few years and not from not drinking too much. I could drink 24 beers in a day but id never vomit or vomit the next day, gag a little sometimes but never totally vomit.

Philemon 07-11-2020 11:27 AM

When I've been on a bottle of gin a day for days, I have horrendous withdrawals. And although I make bargains with myself that if I live through them this time, I'll never drink again, I have.
So I don't think withdrawals are that much of a deterrent in the long run

Laura3 07-11-2020 01:10 PM

Makes sense, I dont withdraw bad but I do always feel low energy and sore when I drink but still did it for years. Heroin addicts go through withdrawal often sometimes but dont quit.

Dee74 07-11-2020 04:42 PM

I used to think how good it was I never had hangovers - now I know it was very probably my kidneys and liver struggling to get rid of the alcohol so that I was always a little drunk.

D

Laura3 07-11-2020 04:59 PM

That could be. Were all different I guess. I dont relate to a lot of things others experience and my experience is different also at different times of my life.

Dee74 07-11-2020 05:07 PM

Sure, but we're not really different when it comes to things like organ damage and kindling tho.

If You Don’t Get Hungover Is Alcohol Still Damaging?

Even if you don’t get a hangover, alcohol is still a toxic force within your body. Though it doesn’t make you sick the day after you drink, it can make you sick in the long run in a way that is far more severe (and even deadly) in comparison to a hangover. This is especially true for those with an alcohol addiction.

Alcohol greatly disrupts important systems which control essential physical and mental processes.It can lead to a wide range of disorders, illness, and disease, such as:
  • anxiety
  • brain damage
  • cardiovascular complications
  • certain forms of cancer
  • cirrhosis of the liver
  • depression
  • organ damage and failure
  • severe withdrawal
  • stroke
  • suppressed immune system
In order to protect yourself and to help your body regain optimal functioning and health, it’s important that you seek treatment for alcohol addiction.rehabcentre.net
no matter how different one feels from others, even others with the same problem, noones immune from consequences.

D

jinx77 07-11-2020 05:10 PM

Some people dont. Consider it some real luck.

JK130 07-11-2020 05:25 PM

Here at SR, we are all the same in that we want to live without alcohol. In extreme, alcohol is a poison. We all want to feel less remorse, shame, irritation, headaches, bodyaches and fear of damaging our bodies, and hurting others. We all want more control over our own selves, our health, our anxieties and depression, our ability to do what we want when we want, our finances, our emotions, our independence, and our relationships with those we love and care for. In the big picture, we all get sober the same way - we stop ingesting alcohol. In the details, we go about this differently - and it's good, and we learn from each other.

I learned more about how people feel during early detox from your experience, Laura. Thank you for sharing.

Acheleus 07-12-2020 04:43 AM

Hi Laura. I had a counselor once tell me that when people are first exposed to alcohol it either kicks the alcoholism off or it doesn’t. She told me this and I first got drunk at around two years old because my alcoholic father took me into bars with him and he would tell me stories about bartenders accidentally putting rum in my virgin pina coladas. He said I would sleep all day.

I asked my counselor about this as I was entering recovery. When I first started drinking at 15 I blacked out and eventually I entered periods of drinking in which I did not get hangovers and I could drink large volumes without blacking out or getting sick.

But alcoholism is progressive and eventually I experienced painful withdrawal symptoms. I hope you can assess your own use and determine if you want to quit now and possibly avoid the painful experiences withdrawal has to offer.

I gained perspective after getting sober and I realized that every year I drank put me closer and closer to more blackouts, more terrifying hangovers, and frightening withdrawal symptoms.

Laura3 07-12-2020 05:48 AM

I had forgotten how damaging alcohol is. I drank in my teens, early 20s then for many many years I barely drank at all but eventually did get into drugs. When I got over the drug use I didnt see any harm in drinking since it wasnt a problem for me at the time(compared to drugs) but it wasnt long before drinking became a problem too. Ive been drinking every day 3-4 years now most days getting drunk(besides recently) Its incredible to think 5 years ago alcohol was barely even a thought in my mind, id go to the bar on the weekend maybe, thats it. Or binge drink but it wasnt something I felt out of control with. So alcohol fooled me. It got me thinking since it wasnt a problem for so long I could drink. I started worrying about my health, thats what woke me up, thinking my health will deteriorate and lead to death.

Funki 07-12-2020 03:05 PM

That can change and you never know where the line is. I didn't get alcohol withdrawals beyond bad hangovers here and there and feeling tired for 2-3 day after stopping, for my whole life until 38 years old.

This last time I most definitely had alcohol withdrawals.

So, my point is, it's a great idea to quit before someone gets to that point. I also never had PAWS before (post acute withdrawal syndrome). I did this time and am barely starting to feel better at 5 months. I think it's connected to being dependent enough to have withdrawals. Again, another reason to quit before getting to that point.

Originally Posted by Laura3 (Post 7475320)
I know its weird. Its stopped me from quitting in the past because I thought id need pills or itd be rough but nothing but a little anxiety even after drinking every day heavily for years. Im on day 2 now and nothing