Notices

Fell of the wagon, what's to do going forward

Old 07-04-2020, 01:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fell of the wagon, what's to do going forward

I've drank. What should I do to stay sober and prevent a relapse? I feel depressed and embarrassed that the drink has gotten the better of me.
Old 07-04-2020, 02:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi softdrinks
sorry to hear you drank again.

I guess whats next is up to you - what are you prepared to do now not to drink again?

What changes are you willing to make in your life to reflect your desire to be sober?

what extra layers of support could you add now?

Posting here more and more regularly, exploring a meeting based recovery method like AA SMART lifering etc., seeing your doctor or a counsellor - maybe even exploring what rehab options are available to you?

The bottom line is what you do now is really up to you - how far are you prepared to go?

D
Old 07-04-2020, 02:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Softdrinks View Post
I've drank. What should I do to stay sober and prevent a relapse?
Post here when you get the cravings...before the drink. Not after you've given in.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Get back into treatment asap before this thing gets worse! Whether that's AA or a treatment center! Also supplement that with SR! If you go to AA and still drink then check into a treatment center! That's what I would hope I would do if I ever drank again! And I have in the past when I used to relapse before I finally got and stayed sober! I ended up going to 3 treatment centers plus went back to AA before I finally got it! I just recently listened to an AA speaker who went through 28 treatment centers before he finally got it! He now gives talks across the country!
Old 07-04-2020, 09:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Softdrinks View Post
I feel depressed and embarrassed that the drink has gotten the better of me.
Symptoms associated with early sobriety.

I might reach out to someone who may be able to offer help and support. Even if their number begins with 1-800.

Old 07-07-2020, 05:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Make a recovery plan. I recently posted about it and Dee linked some good resources.
Old 07-07-2020, 06:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I took the mystery and mystical power away from booze by learning here that it causes a chemical imbalance in my brain.

Booze causes irreversible and permanent brain damage. Hence kindling, paws, and a lifetime of craving.

The only way through was suffering and time. Each relapse resets the clock and digs the hole deeper.

That is why so many, me included, have a low chance of long term sobriety. There are folks here that have regretted relapse after 10 plus years of sobriety.

Keeping the science of addiction in the forefront is one of my foundation weapons against relapse. I also cherish my health. I was a deadman walking 5 years ago. Amen.

I have managed 5 years sober, but I feel the relapse calling during various times, good, bad, indifferent periodically.

It is a left brain vs right brain battle. The crave will do and say anything at anytime to get a fix.

Exercise, good food, kindness, forgiveness, helping, being helped etc. Etc. All get me through.

Thanks.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
I took the mystery and mystical power away from booze by learning here that it causes a chemical imbalance in my brain.

Booze causes irreversible and permanent brain damage. Hence kindling, paws, and a lifetime of craving.

The only way through was suffering and time. Each relapse resets the clock and digs the hole deeper.

That is why so many, me included, have a low chance of long term sobriety. There are folks here that have regretted relapse after 10 plus years of sobriety.

Keeping the science of addiction in the forefront is one of my foundation weapons against relapse. I also cherish my health. I was a deadman walking 5 years ago. Amen.

I have managed 5 years sober, but I feel the relapse calling during various times, good, bad, indifferent periodically.

It is a left brain vs right brain battle. The crave will do and say anything at anytime to get a fix.

Exercise, good food, kindness, forgiveness, helping, being helped etc. Etc. All get me through.

Thanks.
Great stuff. Especially the bit about the science of addiction. It's helping me today on day 52...
Old 07-11-2020, 01:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Softdrinks, you shouldn't feel bad about yourself. I can't count how many times I fell off the wagon. I'd like to share with you what really helped me. The 2 things that enabled me to drop my addiction: 1. turning my life over to my Higher Power 2. Becoming more loving and helpful towards people.

Everyday I reaffirm that I am giving my life over to God, that I want him to come into my life, that I want to have a relationship with Him.

Becoming more loving started by posting positive messages on post it notes and leaving them in bathrooms and other public places. And then everyday I think of what I can to help someone that day or make their life easier. It has produced amazing results for me.
Old 07-12-2020, 04:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hows it going softdrinks?

D
Old 07-13-2020, 01:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I remember a quote from a speaker tape: “You can’t think your way into good living; you have to live your way into good thinking.” The speaker had an old sponsor who told him this but the speaker would get annoyed.

I think if you take some concrete actions you might feel better. Can you attend a zoom AA meeting or call someone in recovery who can speak with you about your relapse prevention plan? I hope you feel better soon.