Notices

Hello guys.

Old 06-14-2020, 11:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello guys.

Today marks 1 month without alcohol. Just want to put this on here so i can come back and read it when i feel weak.

1 month ago,

Day 1, about 6 hours since last drink, sickness starts. Vomiting all day, too weak to even stand, chest pains, probable from violent sickness but paranoid brain convinced i'm having a heart atack. Food and drink impossible.

Day 2. Extreme paranoia begins, vomiting stops after about 24 hours, still unable to eat, drink or even crawl to the shower. The first of 2 to 5 days unable to sleep starts.

Day 3 to 5. Paranoia is receding, the sweating has started, the self loathing. And this sweat, i don't know what's in it, but it stinks.

Day 6 onwards, vow feel better, never drink again etc you know the score.

I can get to 1 or 2 months buti always seem to crawl back into a bottle. Never a daily drinker, i'd binge, 5 or 6 days until i couldn't drink any more. Talking about 300 units in that time.

Anyway, all the best everyone.
Old 06-15-2020, 12:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Free.

Hi Arcticdawn: You wrote my story. Not unusual for me to ingest over 50 units on a binge day.

Your daily symptoms are very familiar as well. Enough so, that reading this makes my stomach tight.

Congrats on a month sober.
You say that you have lapsed at 1 to 2 months. I assume, several times.

At 77 days sober I feel splendid, today.
I struggled for so long to get more than 25 days in. I finally got tired enough, I guess. To relapse now would be the final self betrayal. I’m 100% certain that I’ll die from the booze if I pick up again.

My heart showed me where sobriety was. My head never could.

I used to HATE the line...”if nothing changes, nothing changes....”.
I use it now to inspire me to do at least a bit of work toward improved sobriety each day.

I had to recognize my triggers. FORGET about resentments. I had to give up feeling sorry for myself over about 5 or 6 big hurts I was carrying around. (gently let go of your resentments, I read somewhere).
Police were a trigger; neighbours, successful people, being alone.

We don’t sober up without doing some work toward it.

I understand the pain of it all. I’m not willing to go back to it today.

Stay well.

Keep posting.

Old 06-15-2020, 12:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Articdawn, that is me to a T as well. My quits last one to 2 months and then I slip and binge for days before I stop and go through the hangover steps to start the cycle again. This time the damn cycle stops.
Old 06-15-2020, 01:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on one month arcticdawn

D
Old 06-15-2020, 02:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 1 month, Articdawn! You never need suffer the Day 1 - 5 experiences again. It was a great idea to commit the alcohol merry-go-round to writing, to use as ammunition when your AV pops up in the future, telling you to crawl back to the bottle. Plus you could post here on SR, when the thought of a drink arises! I've found the AV weakens as length of sobriety increases.
Old 06-15-2020, 03:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Continue to listen, learn, absorb and apply many helpful
tools and knowledge towards your recovery life to achieve
many of lifes rewarding gifts and continuous sobriety.

Good job..!!!
Old 06-18-2020, 07:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 1 month!
Old 06-24-2020, 06:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Here's the good news, you never have to go through that again. Just don't drink.
congratulations on 30 and keep going. Your well on your way!
Old 07-17-2020, 12:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Arctic, let me share with you what helped me quit my addiction. Maybe you can take something from it so that you don't go back to drinking after a month.Turning my life over to my Higher Power was the first thing I did that gave me the power to quit my addiction. I would say "God come into my life; I give my life to thee; I need you in my life, God". I don't attempt to explain how this helped me, it just did.

Taking the actions of love toward other people really helped me too. Start treating the people around you with more love. Do more loving things for them. Start helping people. When I did this, the addiction just melted away over time.

I cannot recommend enough that you get into an AA group and attend meetings regularly. They say that no one can experience addiction recovery alone.