SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   5 years sober today (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/447783-5-years-sober-today.html)

Adillac 06-05-2020 01:43 PM

5 years sober today

I posted on here years ago. Just wanted to come back and share that I’ve got 5 years of sobriety today. I didn’t think I would survive my drinking. I certainly didn’t think I could be and stay sober.

Sobriety is possible. For me, it took a deep conviction supported by countless vain attempts to control my drinking that, for me drinking was not something I could control once it was in my system and that I was going to die from it. Also, the awareness that even when not drinking I am always at risk of returning to drinking if I allow myself the comfort of unabated self-pity.

Im not a “meeting-maker” or a Big book thumper...but my foundation in sobriety is 100% based upon AA. However one gets or stays sober is not important. I’m just here to share a little hope for the next person who is drinking alone in a dark room at 3am, in a blackout, searching for human connection on a computer screen. There is hope.

Kaneda8888 06-05-2020 02:35 PM

Hearty congrats Adillac ! A great achievement indeed ! Keep moving forward

Hevyn 06-05-2020 02:53 PM

Thank you, Adillac. It's so wonderful to read that you're 5 yrs. sober. Every word of your message is true - I couldn't agree more.
Congratulations on your new life.

Bubovski 06-05-2020 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Adillac (Post 7456802)
I posted on here years ago. Just wanted to come back and share that I’ve got 5 years of sobriety today. I didn’t think I would survive my drinking. I certainly didn’t think I could be and stay sober.

Sobriety is possible. For me, it took a deep conviction supported by countless vain attempts to control my drinking that, for me drinking was not something I could control once it was in my system and that I was going to die from it. Also, the awareness that even when not drinking I am always at risk of returning to drinking if I allow myself the comfort of unabated self-pity.

Im not a “meeting-maker” or a Big book thumper...but my foundation in sobriety is 100% based upon AA. However one gets or stays sober is not important. I’m just here to share a little hope for the next person who is drinking alone in a dark room at 3am, in a blackout, searching for human connection on a computer screen. There is hope.

"Countless vain attempts" I can well relate to that over decades of drinking.Even mild drinking sets up patterns and demands I believe. Thanks for your input and support.

Reid82 06-05-2020 03:01 PM

Congrats on 5 years of sobriety.

Dropsie 06-05-2020 03:22 PM

Congratulations. I stopped about the same time but don't know the date.

Feels like yesterday or a lifetime ago, depending on the moment.

Thanks for the great post.

courage2 06-05-2020 03:33 PM

Congratulations, Adillac! It's good to know that you, me, and we never have to drink again!

Anna 06-05-2020 04:34 PM

Great post, Adillac, and congratulations on 5 years of recovery.

Dee74 06-05-2020 04:41 PM

Great to hear from you Adillac - congrats on 5 years!

D

least 06-05-2020 07:39 PM

Thank you for your message of hope and faith. :) And congrats on five years sober! :hug: That's wonderful. :)

aasharon90 06-06-2020 05:56 AM

Forward you go continuing on your journey in
life sober achieving many of lifes rewarding
gifts. Congratulations on 5 yrs and a personal
accomplishment. :)

SnazzyDresser 06-06-2020 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Adillac (Post 7456802)

That's what it's all about, excellent post all around, very well put. Especially the 3am line, just beautiful. Congrats on 5 years, Adillac!

january161992 06-06-2020 03:03 PM

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon...._AC_SX425_.jpg

MyLittleHorsie 06-08-2020 08:12 AM

Congratulations!

Zebra1275 06-10-2020 06:55 AM

Congratulations on 5 years of sobriety!

Acheleus 07-13-2020 01:26 AM

Congratulations!

MaximusD 07-14-2020 12:05 PM

Awesome job on 5 years sober!