Notices

I am an alcoholic

Old 05-27-2020, 02:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am an alcoholic

I will always be an alcoholic and alcohol will always be an issue with me. I can never drink again because one drink will lead to drinking until I pass out. I am 2 1/2 years sober and it feels great in some ways and lonely in others. I can't think of one friend that I have that doesn't drink. My family all drinks. The only people not drinking at my house parties are me and my grandchildren. When I hear of someone doing something stupid when drunk I just think..... yep that was me a couple of years ago. When I hear someone complaining of a hangover I am so thankful I don't have those anymore. All the hand sanitizer that is being used .... the smell triggers me wanting some vodka. I'm glad I'm sober and I plan to never drink again but it's still hard some days. That's all
Old 05-27-2020, 04:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi LadyBug

Its hard to make new friends right now but I hope you will once this virus thing is done. I have a lot of friends who don;t drink, or drink very sparingly. It makes things a little easier.

D
Old 06-04-2020, 10:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

After years of resisting, I finally made the effort to have friends who were also in recovery. They aren't my only friends. But they count for a lot when I feel the way you do sometimes - that everyone in my orbit seems to drink. When I'm around a lot of drinking, my biggest problem is feeling sorry for myself. I find that when I spend time with recovery friends, I don't have to waste time on that part at least.
Old 06-04-2020, 11:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ladybug, 29 yrs ago I admitted I had a problem with alcohol
and entered recovery to learn to live my life sober a day at a
time. This coming August 11th, God willing along with my program
of recovery foundation I have built and continue to live upon, will
be 30 yrs.

I 'm Sharon and I am still an alcoholic living my life in recovery.

I am so happy to know that you have 2 and 1/2 years of continuous
sobriety. That is a gift and blessing.

Continue moving forward stay safe, strong and passing on your
own experiences, strengths and hopes to others beginning just
like us.

It gives each of us a purpose in life.

Old 06-04-2020, 09:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by LadyBug66 View Post
I will always be an alcoholic and alcohol will always be an issue with me. I can never drink again because one drink will lead to drinking until I pass out. I am 2 1/2 years sober and it feels great in some ways and lonely in others. I can't think of one friend that I have that doesn't drink. My family all drinks. The only people not drinking at my house parties are me and my grandchildren. When I hear of someone doing something stupid when drunk I just think..... yep that was me a couple of years ago. When I hear someone complaining of a hangover I am so thankful I don't have those anymore. All the hand sanitizer that is being used .... the smell triggers me wanting some vodka. I'm glad I'm sober and I plan to never drink again but it's still hard some days. That's all
You're doing a great job, LadyBug.

It's difficult not to be sensitive to feelings of loneliness at a time when the world seems to be falling apart.

There is a tremendous amount of near-constant stress and strain, having had to abruptly modify or drop our long-running habits and routines. It's a difficult transition for many people. And a big deal.

This is a good time for us to be more supportive and nurturing to ourselves. Not that there's a bad time...(I saw that coming, and I did it anyway.) I've also been told that there's nothing wrong with treating other people with kindness.
Old 06-05-2020, 10:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for your replies! Probably this Covid mess is making my feelings of loneliness worse. I'm socially awkward so making new sober friends is tough but I'm really trying though and wont give up.