Notices

Pregnant

Old 05-19-2020, 02:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pregnant

Hi everyone! I posted a while back. I had been been drinking up until I found out i was pregnant and quit cold turkey. Well, in the third trimester, I fell off the wagon and started drinking wine. Not a lot, just a small cup every couple days. Well that turned in to every other night and sometimes two. I’m so ashamed and scared. I know I should have never touched a bottle, but I thought once I was in the third trimester, I could drink just a taste now and then and be ok. I feel like I have over done it now. I had the odd glass of wine with my daughter two years ago, but feel like this is more. I just needed to vent and get this off my chest. Please no negative comments as I am already hating myself. Has anyone else drank in their pregnancy? I feel so alone.
Old 05-19-2020, 02:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey Gergia Marie

Have you seen your OBGYN and been honest about whats been going on?
I think you need to be - when all is said and done this baby to be has noone to protect its interests but you.
I think it's also really important that you don't drink anymore.
Have you thought about AA? There's a lot of online meetings right now - you wouldn't even have to leave your house.

D
Old 05-19-2020, 02:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Do you have anyone you can confide this to? Maybe someone can come and stay with you so they can talk you out of this. This is very serious. Please, please tell someone. You should not be shames...you have a serious problem and need help.
Old 05-19-2020, 03:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello there.

I understand how you are feeling. I did drink when I was pregnant with my daughter. I didn't realise I was alcoholic then and even though I tired so hard not to I did. I would have a little port glass that I would fill with wine and sip at it. Not everyday but some days. I am ashamed to say that at only 3 months pregnant on New years Eve I had a few glasses of champagne and actually felt quite tipsy. Most of my drinking was in my first trimester which I read that is the worst time to drink not that there is a good time I suppose when you are pregnant. I would drink and then lie in bed crying and googling alcohol fetal syndrome. Luckily I ended up getting terrible acid reflux and physically coudnt take it. Maybe my Higher Power was doing for me what I could not do for myself??? But yeh I felt like you do now. Scared. Guilty. Ashamed.

My daughter is nearly 8 and perfect. Although she was born premature and to this day I will never know if that was because I drank or not. But she is amazing and I am so blessed. I have heard stories since I have been in AA ( I finally managed to get sober just before her 6th birthday) of people drinking bottles of gin and more when pregnant. Not that I recommend that at all! What's done is done. You can't change that now but you can STOP drinking altogether starting from now.

Best wishes to you and your baby and please please commit to sobriety. I wish I had gone to AA when I was pregnant. I was trying CBT instead as I knew there was something wrong with me, I didn't realise it was alcoholism and I wish I had been completely sober the first 6 years of her life. I am making up for lost time now though.

Lots of love 🙏♥️🙏

Old 05-19-2020, 03:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So I’m due in 2 weeks. I have not had anything in 2 weeks either.
Old 05-19-2020, 03:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations. Good luck with the delivery.
Old 05-19-2020, 05:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My prayers and support to you, Georgia-M.
Old 05-19-2020, 05:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I’m glad you stopped, Georgia. Stay off the booze until the baby comes.

and then....be careful if you are breastfeeding. I didn’t drink in my pregnancies, but I drank and breastfed my third longer than my first two and I believe it affected her. I don’t think that’s provable but a mother just knows. I’ll just say that: a mother knows. My alcoholism was different at 37 (with #3) than it was at 26-28 (my first two) because alcoholism progresses. I started drinking again after the birth like I did with the first two, but it was a much bigger problem. two years after #3’s birth in 2006, I started trying to quit drinking. I knew my third daughters childhood was affected by my alcoholism, but it took until 2017 to get 2.5 years. Alcohol gets its hooks in you, mentally and physically and exorcising it can be the hardest thing you’ll ever do.

do everything you can to protect that baby. . Have a safe and happy delivery!