Notices

Help it's been a while, thoughts of moderating.

Old 05-29-2020, 02:33 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Lpg

I'm condsidering going back to AA after lockdown ends, I know there is online meetings but I hate video calls with people I know let alone people I don't.
Old 05-29-2020, 03:39 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Lpg, I'm glad you're here talking about this stuff.

I'd like to suggest (hope you don't mind) that you go to a meeting anyhow. Lots of people who are attending are less than fond of the format but acknowledge it's so much better than no meetings at all.

If your hatred of video meetings is about seeing yourself on camera, you can choose to have the camera off. If it's about seeing everyone else in this peculiar talking heads way, you can simply not look at the screen - or dial in instead of Zooming in. Finally, if it's about the people, you have choices! You could attend the meetings you would normally go to in person, or you can randomly pick a meeting in a far-away place where you're certain to know no one.

I don't know about you, but I've had to do lots of things I "hate" to do in order to support and further my own well-being. Some of those things turned out to be more beneficial than I could have ever imagined. In some cases, thinking through my objections was helpful and other times simply acting anyhow (without regard to my resistance) was just the ticket.

Thank you for posting. It's helped me to feel less alone.

O
Old 05-29-2020, 09:12 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
ZIP

Sorry to be late in the reply line here...
but, I'm not a fan of moderation.
1. Because I can't do it.
2. Because in my many outpatient sessions and AA meetings, I never met 1 person who could do it. In fact, we actually lost people in my addiction program---and in the AA groups I've been involved with---over the moderation issue.
I'll spare details. These folks suddenly just ended up disappearing. You may draw your own conclusions as to what happened to them.
Stay the sober course, friend.

Old 05-30-2020, 01:11 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Lpg

Thanks Obladi, yeah I just find it all very awkward on video call but you're right sometimes we have to do things we hate. I haven't attended AA for a long time so first time are back again too.
Old 05-30-2020, 01:14 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Lpg

Thanks zip trying hard to stay on track coming here every days and reading atm too.

Someone stopped by yesterday to gift my partner a box of cider and they gave a bottle of wine for myself, typical this happens when I'm going through a particularly hard patch I nearly keeled over.
Old 05-30-2020, 02:18 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Administrator

dump or regift ASAP

D
Old 05-30-2020, 02:38 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Lpg

Yes I just tried to give to my neighbour but they don't drink wine, will give to someone by the end of the day.
Old 05-30-2020, 09:18 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

It's okay to throw it out, too. No need for, "Don't want to waste it." Just throw it away - preferably into some nasty dirty covid-ridden garbage receptacle outside your home. I wouldn't even open it and chance that smell...Just throw it.
Old 06-02-2020, 07:35 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
ZIP

Dry house, lpg.
Like your friends here said, dump it.
It offers nothing of value.
Old 06-03-2020, 01:46 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Lpg

It's gone I gave it to my mum. Had to be gone from the house.

I'm feeling alot better the last few days.

Was listening to music and dancing and I thought I'm really feeling fantastic today, then I thought about how sick I would feel if I had caved and had any alcohol and it made me realise I never have to be sick like that again and feeling this healthy will be with me aslong as I'm sober. Ive got the best health these days and I'm really grateful for that.