Notices

Deadly Disease

Old 05-13-2020, 05:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Deadly Disease

I have a high-school friend who just posted a message on fb. His lovely daughter of age 33 passed away from alcoholism. She was a vibrant woman with a lot of potential in her life. This disease does not discriminate folks. You don't have to be a 65 year old guy who's been drinking the last 40 years to die from this. It can make a move on anyone. If your sober and your thinking about having a drink, don't. Just don't. This disease can take you out in no time. Don't roll the dice on your sobriety. Its not worth it. Never!
Old 05-13-2020, 05:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This is so sad. I think we all need to hear of these tragic events but even then a lot of us still think of relapsing at times.
Old 05-13-2020, 04:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your friends loss, Wayne.

D
Old 05-13-2020, 05:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

That is tragic, Wayne. How terrible for the family - it will always haunt them.
Thank you for a thoughtful & helpful post.
Old 05-14-2020, 06:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

As tragic as this is, I'm hoping that anyone who is thinking about relapsing heeds the warning - it's definitely not worth it. ever.

So sorry for your loss, Wayne.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Its not worth it. Never will be. Never!
Old 05-15-2020, 05:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Mary and I met in my early years of teaching. We became great party buddies. We snorted and drank to our hearts' content!

I know one morning (I always slept over if I drank, which was every weekend....), I found the top left off our whiskey, so I was replacing it and she gave me a lecture on not drinking in the morning (I hadn't, I did sniff the top, though) because she would think I was alcoholic. (insert laughter here)

I was looking for my good friend, my ol' party buddy, Mary in my early recovery days. She was kind of missing and I was newly sober. Fast forward to a few weeks ago when I found her obituary (I researched and couldn't find it previously).

I don't usually get to noon meetings, but I had been to the doctor's, so no work that day in March, right before the lockdown, a few days after I found the obituary, I ran into another old party buddy, this gal knew Mary. She let me know that Mary died from her alcoholism.

I was getting sober while my best party buddy (and good friend, excellent special education teacher) was in the hospital dying from alcohol.

Mary's been gone 9 years, one month and one day after I got sober, she died. Alcohol shut her organs down.

What's your choice? Try a sober life or die a slow and painful alcoholic death?
Old 05-15-2020, 05:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Sugarbear - That is tragic. I'm so sorry for the loss of Mary. Could've definitely been me - I was so close.