Notices

The Rodeo

Old 04-21-2020, 10:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Rodeo

Friends,

As you know, I rarely start a thread, I think this is my second over many years, but wanted to share something.

I just found out that one of my closest friends outside NYC lost her husband to COVID. No risk factors, healthy, athlete, non-drinker, non-smoker. One week from first symtoms to gone. Just like the many other friends I have lost in similar tragic way of late.

The point I want to make is that it is all random. We get one ride on this rodeo, one body to do it in and one consciousness from which to experience it. We may get a long ride, or it may be short, but it is ours to make of it what we will.

Some of us have had to face trauma and abuse and terrible events that seem unfair and that are unfair if that was the point of this rodeo called life. But the longer I am blessed to live, the more I realise that fairness is not part of the equation.

There may or may not be a grander scheme at work, but we each get what we get and the only choice we have is how to deal with it and whether we let others and the universe help us or we go it alone.

We are here because we are addicted to alcohol. The addiction is not a choice, but again how we deal with it is.

I choose very day to deal with my addicton by not drinking and trying to do the next right thing and not to do harm. I choose to do that alone in the real world but by participating here both in the hope of maybe helping others and also reminding myself of my addicton and that no matter how long I do not practice it, it is there. Just like I am short -- not going to change no matter how much I would love a few more inches.

We addicts can use the horrors and isolation of this pandemic as an excuse to drink or as a time to stop while the world stops too or as a time to reflect on what we want to do with the blessings that sobriety has brought us and to recall that those blessings depend on our sobriety.

I am not saying any of this is easy ever -- if it was easy I would have stopped earlier and done better.

What I am saying and hoping for each of you that we find a way to find some good in this that will make the rest of your ride at the rodeo better, richer.

And for us addicts that starts with doing it sober. The rest will come.

That is where the faith and trust comes in -- have faith and trust that if you stop your ride will be better. It always is if you give it time. Not perfect unfortunately because it is life after all, but so much better.

XX
Old 04-21-2020, 10:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so very sorry Dropsie.

I very much appreciate you sharing your thoughts tho - and I totally agree.

The best time to quit is today.

D
Old 04-21-2020, 11:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. Actually the best time for me to have quit was about 30 years before I did, but that is another story. And as I like to say, dont look back, we are not going that way!

Lots of love from lockdown.
Old 04-21-2020, 11:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
p***enger

Dropsie, I'm sorry to read about your friend. It's a very sad time.
Originally Posted by Dropsie View Post
I choose very day to deal with my addicton by not drinking and trying to do the next right thing and not to do harm.
^^^ this, wow. It sounds like a little but you know and I know and I know you know that it's a lot. You're amazing -- we're all amazing who do this. Thank you.
Old 04-22-2020, 01:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Drops, I am so very sorry to read of your friend's loss.

Thank you for your post, it was timely, I sorely needed to read some wise words today; then up popped your thread Xx.
Old 04-22-2020, 08:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

aw Dropsie, my condolences.
Old 04-26-2020, 11:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Re: The Rodeo

Fairness is not part of the equation.

Who knew mom was right all along? Life is not fair, to be sure. Whoever came up with the idea that it should be had a great idea, but alas it's just not the case and the sooner we all drop that pipedream, the better off we will all be.

On the other side of the same coin is gratitude for what we do have. That plus the determination to do the next right thing give me faith in myself and in you.

I'm very sorry for your loss, dear friend. It's been relentless with you lately. It does my heart good to read that you can still see and appreciate the rainbow behind the storm clouds.
Old 04-26-2020, 02:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Re: The Rodeo

I am sorry for your loss Dropsie. It's like we are all on borrowed time and we don't know how much we have. I woke up to this a while back and my philosophy now is that if there is something you really want to do, do it now.