Notices

The Alan Carr method

Old 04-21-2020, 03:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Alan Carr method

I bought the book in 2014 and tried several times to quit with it.

I managed it for several weeks each time , like about 6 weeks but always went back to alcohol. Sometimes it was cause of peer pressure but other times it was because I thought I felt so much better and decided to go out.

I would recommend the book though as I thought it was really good.

I heard good things about the stop smoking book from years before and the method is the same. I've never smoked btw
Old 04-21-2020, 05:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, both smoking and drinking books follow the same premise, I read the stop smoking one. I think you could quit smoking for good once you read his book, but with booze I personally need, on tope of his book, daily reminder of what alcohol does to me.
my reptilian brain only remembers the good feeling, that surge of dopamine and other neurotransmitters, that is release after consumption, therefore I need some kind of fellowship if only for the first year.
Old 04-21-2020, 11:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah it's a book that makes a lot of sense but my take is it's probably best for maintenance once you've gained some sobriety to begin with. Or it gives you enough of a boost to get you around six weeks as in your experience but then you're left stranded if you wanna drink (from my recollection the book suggests you shouldn't ever even want a drink again but things are never quite so simple). But yeah it sounds like it could def be a part of your toolbox.
Old 04-21-2020, 11:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I owe my sobriety to Allen Carr.
He showed me the truth of alcohol. It does nothing and takes all.
Old 04-21-2020, 12:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

yes it does nothing. it's a poison

yet I want it for my social life even though currently enjoying 2 and a half weeks - plus only having a tiny bit before that. Last time I had more than a few little cans of weak beer was 18th March but even then wasn't much. 16th March on the other hand... ewww hangover next day
Old 04-21-2020, 03:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I read it - it worked for about a week. That was it. It's not a bad book, I can only give my experience, nothing worked until I was done. That came from me - not a book. When I quit, I had lost just about everything and it took a long time to get some kind of life back. Just my experience.

binger - I've read your threads. You can't compromise or bargain with alcoholism. You are going to quit completely or you are going to lose a lot if you are an alcoholic and keep trying to bargain your way out of it. Won't work. Been there, done that.

You seem like you are still trying to bargain.
Old 04-21-2020, 03:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nathan57 View Post
I read it - it worked for about a week. That was it. It's not a bad book, I can only give my experience, nothing worked until I was done. That came from me - not a book. When I quit, I had lost just about everything and it took a long time to get some kind of life back. Just my experience.

binger - I've read your threads. You can't compromise or bargain with alcoholism. You are going to quit completely or you are going to lose a lot if you are an alcoholic and keep trying to bargain your way out of it. Won't work. Been there, done that.

I'm cutting down till synthetic alcohol hits the market in a few years. That's the plan sad but true.

I also eat a diet high in foods that are good for the liver whet not out drinking or resturanting.
Old 04-21-2020, 04:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm waiting for the Jetson type hovercars - but I'm realistic enough to realise it's unlikely to happen.

I think whatever else it does, this pandemic is an opportunity to get sober and work out how to stay that way, binger.

It would be a real shame if you let this opportunity go by

D
Old 04-21-2020, 05:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by binger81 View Post
I bought the book in 2014 and tried several times to quit with it.

I managed it for several weeks each time , like about 6 weeks but always went back to alcohol. Sometimes it was cause of peer pressure but other times it was because I thought I felt so much better and decided to go out.

I would recommend the book though as I thought it was really good.

I heard good things about the stop smoking book from years before and the method is the same. I've never smoked btw
When I quit, I tried my own plan that was similar to Alan Carr. I basically tried to understand my issues from as many angles as possible. That helped maintain momentum that got me through some of the tough times.

That being said it is needed to have something knock you off balance first that sends you on your path. The thing that gets you started does not need to be the plan that you stick with. However, the more sources that you can draw from may become useful further down the line.

As an aside, some people that have quit by conventional routes become threatened when you quit without their plan. Please take it in stride when you get negative comments and realize that it is your journey and not theirs. Good Luck!
Old 04-21-2020, 06:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

There it is.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

“ I'm cutting down till synthetic alcohol hits the market in a few years. That's the plan sad but true. ”

okay so...the plan is to keep drinking in one form or another, albeit less and differently. am i getting that right?
Old 04-21-2020, 08:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
EndGame

...nothing worked until I was done.
On my gravestone
Old 04-22-2020, 01:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
“ I'm cutting down till synthetic alcohol hits the market in a few years. That's the plan sad but true. ”

okay so...the plan is to keep drinking in one form or another, albeit less and differently. am i getting that right?
Plan is to drink when I go out to drink. i.e. i go out planning to drink with friends or have some with a meal.

So yes I will cut down from previous levels where I did not care, will also have breaks and time off. Contiune never to drink alone or just cause I fancy one. Have non alcoholic beer for that which I consider a soft drink now.
Old 04-22-2020, 02:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

This is true:

As an aside, some people that have quit by conventional routes become threatened when you quit without their plan. Please take it in stride when you get negative comments and realize that it is your journey and not theirs. Good Luck!

But I do think that you do not sound like moderation is a workable solution for you. Sure was not for me.

And of one thing I am sure, stop and you will never regret it.
Old 04-22-2020, 02:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74;7430452[B
]I'm waiting for the Jetson type hovercars - but I'm realistic enough to realise it's unlikely to happen.
[/B]
I think whatever else it does, this pandemic is an opportunity to get sober and work out how to stay that way, binger.

It would be a real shame if you let this opportunity go by

D

If smoking was my problem but vaping hadn't yet been rolled out (but had been talked about) it would be an idea to cut down until it comes out. Vaping has been shown to be many times safer, if not totally safe, than cigarettes. You still get the odd person affected but it's something in the region of >90% safer. That is progress. There is also the option of vaping with no nicotine for a while before you knock it on the head.

Science is becoming better at getting better. Alcohol is next on the list to be done over and we'll see it before the late 20s at the latest.
Old 04-22-2020, 03:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not going to argue with someone who hasn't accepted the need to cut alcohol out from their life binger.

It's just a waste of my time and yours.

I wish you well with whatever your chosen path proves to be,

D
Old 04-22-2020, 03:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm not going to argue with someone who hasn't accepted the need to cut alcohol out from their life binger.

It's just a waste of my time and yours.

I wish you well with whatever your chosen path proves to be,

D
peace
Old 04-22-2020, 07:49 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Harm reduction when it comes to drinking and drugs is a prohibited topic on this website. That would apply to nicotine and marijuana, too.

Truly, binger, go find a "moderation" forum, you will be able to discuss this.

This isn't the place.
there is another part of these forums I will go to now. Sorry to be of trouble. Stay sober
Old 04-22-2020, 08:33 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Several posts have been removed and this thread is now closed.