Notices

I fell off the wagon....

Old 05-04-2020, 03:09 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

That needs to go on a poster or be embroidered on a cushion. Great words. Thanks, Dee.
Old 05-04-2020, 03:16 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

"You can't work out where you need to go until you stop poisoning yourself. " That needs to be on a poster or embroidered on a cushion. Thank you, Dee.
Old 05-04-2020, 10:58 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think a lot of us are the same, and there's nothing inherently wrong with being shy private and circumspect - unless you're using it as an excuse to keep drinking?
D

No, absolutely not. I'm shy, battle anxiety. I have a hard time communicating, opening up, I'll start to communicate then disappear. I'm not a very open person by any means. It's a real struggle with me, has been for most of my life.. I am trying to become better, but still is a struggle. I just have a hard time with communicating, and staying committed once I initiate communication. Someone may message me over Messenger, I may respond but generally I just disappear. I battle anxiety everyday, both in my personal life and at work. I'm trying to work past it, hence the reason I keep coming back to communicate.. otherwise I wouldn't be back here at all.
Old 05-04-2020, 11:35 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

communicating onlien is great for me. I can communicate when I want - or not.
I'm sure those same freedoms would be available to you in an online AA meeting but I won't push it.
There's got to be something better than just drinking tho

D
Old 05-05-2020, 12:11 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Redmayne

' As Bill Sees It'

I wouldn't make to much of these slips...as Bill W says in his book,'As Bill Sees It' you won';t be the first and you certainly won't be the last,including me...
The main thing to remember is that the problem for the alcoholic centers in the brain, see the book 'Alcoholics Anonymous' if you remember,
'The only power you have is over your mind, everything else is external.
Remember this and you WILL gain strength.' - Marcus Aurelius
Old 05-05-2020, 10:48 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Wishing you the best!! Keep trying! I’ve been there..Â
The world record for sobriety is still 24 hours.

Tighten that girth strap on your saddle and get back on the horse.
Old 07-11-2020, 01:56 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

DeviousOne, I'd like to share with you what really helped me let go of my addiction. The 2 things that enabled me to drop my addiction: 1. turning my life over to my Higher Power 2. Becoming more loving and helpful towards people.

Everyday I reaffirm that I am giving my life over to God, that I want him to come into my life, that I want to have a relationship with Him.

Becoming more loving started by posting positive messages on post it notes and leaving them in bathrooms and other public places. And then everyday I think of what I can to help someone that day or make their life easier. It has produced amazing results for me.
Old 07-27-2020, 04:58 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I see OP hasn't been around for a while but this thread fits me to a tee. I used to enjoy TV and movies as my substitute for alcohol. All the sudden you take away my movies and new episodes of my favourite shows and I'm LOST! I wish the best to OP. I only wish I could be strong enough to abstain.
Old 07-27-2020, 07:29 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

speed, when i found that strength alone wasn’t sufficient, i needed to add actions.

good to see you pop in; read around and see what kinds of things folks are finding helpful in addition to some strength.
Old 07-28-2020, 05:43 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
speed, when i found that strength alone wasn’t sufficient, i needed to add actions.

good to see you pop in; read around and see what kinds of things folks are finding helpful in addition to some strength.

I haven't given up yet. I want nothing more than to go back to the bliss I experienced when sober for the last yr and 8mos. I have a highly stressful job and my. excuse is to decompress after a long day. I just need the strength to stop again and enjoy each sober day for what it is. I will get there. Every addiction I have had in my life I eventually get under control but this is the hardest!
Old 07-28-2020, 05:50 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you explored other ideas for stress relief, relaxation and unwinding, Speed?

D
Old 07-28-2020, 05:53 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

What?

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Have you explored other ideas for stress relief, relaxation and unwinding, Speed?

D
Such as? I'm open to ideas?
Old 07-28-2020, 06:02 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

Exercise works well for me....I also like guided relaxations or meditations..you can find many on you tube.
Hobbies and interests are always a good way to unwind - I play music and study history tho not at the same time

there's a lot of good ideas here as well:
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...d-edition.html (Relief and Respite Covid Edition)

I hope that some of these ideas will spark some of your own

D

Old 07-28-2020, 07:28 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I just need the strength to stop again and....”
sure, some backbone is helpful
but my entire point was that , for me, trying the willpower (i assume that is what you mean by strength?) route repeatedly proved insufficient in and of itself.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:49 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Devious, i hope you come back and are doing okay. You sound exactly like me. I have a very hard time communicating and i am sure i come across as a mean person or something but its seriously not my fault. I just clam up and lose people. Covid also made me do a 180 and i went back to drinking and went into a very dark place for awhile. Im still trying to drag myself out of it to be honest. Good luck,