Notices

The Calm before the Storm??

Old 04-17-2020, 04:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Calm before the Storm??

Like some of you already know, I live with my dad (78) and stepmom (63); both real hard-line alcoholics – to the tune of a bottle+ of brandy a day. The original lockdown here (3 weeks), included the total ban of alcohol - no sales, no transport, nothing. You were allowed to drink in your own home and that’s it. So dad and his spouse went to the shops before the first period kicked off and stocked enough booze to last them all of the three weeks; 2 cases of 12 x 750ml bottles in total…
Then - like I said in another post - the lockdown in South Africa was extended for another two weeks, till the end of the month; but everybody thought that, at least, the restriction on alcohol would be lifted. So yesterday afternoon the last bottle was opened - and finished. And last night, when dad and co were passed out, the Kleptocratic ANC bullies who “runs” this country, announced that the alcohol ban stays in place for the duration. AT LEAST.
So here I am. Having gone through my own (private and solitary) withdrawal months ago, and having been sober since the 12th of December, I now have to worry about the withdrawal of two other people. And I really do worry. My dad has been a heavy drinker for 60 years, and the stepmom for at least 20. Hé is old and thin and bent-over, and gets real ugly and verbally abusive when drunk. She is overweight and addicted to OTC meds as well, hides booze and sometimes drinks on the sly as early as six in the morning; glum and hung-over in the mornings and giggly and loud once the bottle-cap pops. Neither of them healthy. They never even considered stopping; they simply never wanted or had to. Perhaps they were scared??
Right now they're going about their normal day-to-day business as if nothing is different. But in two hours from now (3 in the afternoon), they would normally open the days bottle and the drinking would start. Only now there’s no booze left, and none to be had either. God only knows what they’re going to be like when the withdrawal hits them. I hope not, but I think it’s going to be bad. For them and for me.
Old 04-17-2020, 05:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Man, Rock, that is some scary business. I've never had to deal with other people withdrawing as I've lived alone for most of my adult life. It's usually just me going through the process. You be careful and don't be afraid to call the medics or police for help.
Old 04-17-2020, 06:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I literally don't know how a human liver can take that much alcohol over that timescale. I thought I overdid it with drink and I got a bad liver test at 37 years old.

In the nicest possible way, it might be good for them to sober up and embrace sobriety by force.

take care
Old 04-17-2020, 08:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by binger81 View Post
I literally don't know how a human liver can take that much alcohol over that timescale. I thought I overdid it with drink and I got a bad liver test at 37 years old.
Some people can drink themselves into a stupor daily for decades and go to their graves with a healthy liver; others can drink "moderately" for a few years and die of Cirrhosis, Binger. It's something that puzzles doctors and science, but it's mostly in the genes they reckon. It's not worth finding out which one is you/us, in any way...
Old 04-17-2020, 08:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ABCCuddly View Post
Man, Rock, that is some scary business. I've never had to deal with other people withdrawing as I've lived alone for most of my adult life. It's usually just me going through the process. You be careful and don't be afraid to call the medics or police for help.
Thanks Cuddly. Have a nice weekend.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rockbottom1964 View Post
Some people can drink themselves into a stupor daily for decades and go to their graves with a healthy liver; others can drink "moderately" for a few years and die of Cirrhosis, Binger. It's something that puzzles doctors and science, but it's mostly in the genes they reckon. It's not worth finding out which one is you/us, in any way...
unbelieveable how it works out.

Life is certainly not fair :-(

Yes i assume it must be in the genes.
Old 04-17-2020, 10:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My father has a superman liver. But he is mentally lost now at 88 years old. Absolutely amazing hes still alive. I think booze will get anyone that drinks like he does....it just might not be the liver. Could be the brain, cancer, who knows.
Old 04-17-2020, 10:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Can you call their dr and get them a script for safe detox?
Old 04-17-2020, 11:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Getting some meds would be best if possible. Can you get the doctor to remote approve a script? Is it even possible to fill right now?

I can't imagine going through this. Bad enough to live with them both drinking like that.

RB, post when it gets crazy. We are here to give you what support we can.
Do you have basic supplies in order like food, etc. ? You may not be able to leave them alone in another 12 hours.
Old 04-17-2020, 11:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by entropy1964 View Post
My father has a superman liver. But he is mentally lost now at 88 years old. Absolutely amazing hes still alive. I think booze will get anyone that drinks like he does....it just might not be the liver. Could be the brain, cancer, who knows.
I hear you, Entropy. After 60 years of alcohol abuse, my dad has no liver-complaints; but it only takes one drink now to turn him into a foul, hate-filled ogre who spews the same malignant c*** a hundred times a day; every single day, without fail. The damage he’s done to his brain must be horrendous, I think. It makes me sad.
Old 04-17-2020, 11:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

People drinking that long and that hard in sudden withdrawal can have seizures, etc. RB.

Please do check if you can get a couple of Valium, etc. from your father's doctor.
This is an unusual situation and they may be willing to bend rules they wouldn't otherwise. They will be as aware of how dangerous this is as we drinkers are--
Old 04-17-2020, 11:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by entropy1964 View Post
Can you call their dr and get them a script for safe detox?
{QUOTE= Hawkeye13]Getting some meds would be best if possible. Can you get the doctor to remote approve a script? Is it even possible to fill right now?

Hawk and Entropy - Meds are out, guys. They refuse to believe they have a drinking problem, and even if they do admit to it, they do not want to stop. I'll be told to mind my own business; that they don't ask me for money to buy booze... Remember also that I'm really just a guest here.
Old 04-17-2020, 12:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Got it RB

So sorry you have to deal with this at all
Old 04-17-2020, 05:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I really feel for you at this time rock-bottom, I can't even imagine what it will be like, for both you and them..
Here in NZ alcohol is considered essential so all stores are still selling it, there is a limit though and as much as alcohol is a demon I think they realised the effect on the health system by banning it right now..
Old 04-17-2020, 06:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

{QUOTE= Hawkeye13]Getting some meds would be best if possible. Can you get the doctor to remote approve a script? Is it even possible to fill right now?

Hawk and Entropy - Meds are out, guys. They refuse to believe they have a drinking problem, and even if they do admit to it, they do not want to stop. I'll be told to mind my own business; that they don't ask me for money to buy booze... Remember also that I'm really just a guest here.
They might have refused in the past to believe they have a drinking problem (or refused to admit this out loud, as we can never know what they believe deep down), but have they ever been forced to withdraw? In this surreal moment in time, I’m sure you’re right they don’t want to stop, but it appears they are being forced by circumstances to stop. Because of this, I’d get the meds if I were you. Can’t hurt to have them on hand. And also could even likely save their lives. Please try to get them. You can play it off as just some medication you got to help them relax (which is 100% accurate). No need for a big alcohol talk now if you know they’re not open to listening. But it seems like there very well might be a need to have the medication.
Old 04-18-2020, 01:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sohard View Post

They might have refused in the past to believe they have a drinking problem (or refused to admit this out loud, as we can never know what they believe deep down), but have they ever been forced to withdraw? In this surreal moment in time, I’m sure you’re right they don’t want to stop, but it appears they are being forced by circumstances to stop. Because of this, I’d get the meds if I were you. Can’t hurt to have them on hand. And also could even likely save their lives. Please try to get them. You can play it off as just some medication you got to help them relax (which is 100% accurate). No need for a big alcohol talk now if you know they’re not open to listening. But it seems like there very well might be a need to have the medication.
Not doable – again, Sohard. This is Africa - albeit South Africa - supposedly a bit more “civilised” than the rest of the continent.
First: most people here don’t have “regular” GP’s. When they’re sick they find a doctor on the internet or ask a friend or family member for a “good” doctor’s name. Or they go to a hospital (where they would mostly spend a whole day in a queue and walk away with a painkiller. If they are lucky.)
Second: Even if I find a GP who is willing to help, he/she would insist on seeing them before giving a prescription for any medication. And how do I get them to go see a GP?
Third: the lock-down here prohibits ANY “unnecessary” movement. How do I explain to an arrogant, self-important cop or soldier at a roadblock that I’m going to a GP to ask some meds for my alcoholic father and mother, to help if they get the DT’s? In Africa? You must be joking. I’ll walk away with a huge fine, maybe get beaten up, and/or sleep in a holding cell till Monday at least, when the courts are open again. Just GOOGLE the atrocities already committed by soldiers and police during the lock-down here. A man beaten to death for having a beer in his own back-yard? Pets getting shot in the street? Infected (white)doctors - under self-imposed quarantine - arrested at their homes and taken to mass Detention Centres? And, and… I could go on for hours.
I’m not being frivolous when I tell you guys (often) that this is Africa. You don’t understand what is going on here. You don’t have a clue. Things here get done in a completely different way than in 1st world countries. The half-witted total ban on alcohol, for starters, is a good example.
Old 04-18-2020, 04:22 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

How are they faring, rb?
And how are you (aside from being understandably frustrated at our understandable ignorance)?

I pray it's all bearable and that something good comes out of this very hairy coaster ride you've been on since quitting.

You're amazing.

xo
O
Old 04-18-2020, 05:19 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Obladi View Post
How are they faring, rb?
And how are you (aside from being understandably frustrated at our understandable ignorance)?

I pray it's all bearable and that something good comes out of this very hairy coaster ride you've been on since quitting.

You're amazing.

xo
O
Hi, O, and thanks for asking. They somehow got hold of half-a-bottle of brandy late afternoon yesterday, which I’m thankful – can you believe it – for. They went to bed at the normal time – about 7 pm, but only half as sloshed as normal. This morning there was none of the normal glum hangovers and they had lots of coffee; more a sugar than a coffee craving, I think. It’s almost 2pm here now and about 2 hours after they would have begun drinking - (weekends they start around 12, often much earlier) - and they’re like two zombies some of the time. Just sort of floating aimlessly around the house and outside. I honestly don’t think it’s registered yet.
They’ve apparently arranged to buy a case of brandy (12 bottles), on Monday. (Blackmarket and very expensive, I presume). I just hope it happens. Until then (if they get it), I’m walking on eggs, not sure what to expect – or when.
I’m all right, thanks, O. In my room most of the time – (out of sight, out of mind). I’m so used to being alone by now, that this lock-down thing actually makes very little difference to me personally. Just wish I could have taken my dogs for a walk (another half-witted ANC regulation) ; the two hairy-children really ask so nice sometimes that it hurts to say no…
The good thing about this situation though, is that it just makes my resolve to be permanently sober so much stronger.
Have a great weekend, O. Thanks for caring and being a friend.
Old 04-18-2020, 09:17 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Not doable – again, Sohard. This is Africa - albeit South Africa - supposedly a bit more “civilised” than the rest of the continent.
First: most people here don’t have “regular” GP’s. When they’re sick they find a doctor on the internet or ask a friend or family member for a “good” doctor’s name. Or they go to a hospital (where they would mostly spend a whole day in a queue and walk away with a painkiller. If they are lucky.)
Second: Even if I find a GP who is willing to help, he/she would insist on seeing them before giving a prescription for any medication. And how do I get them to go see a GP?
Third: the lock-down here prohibits ANY “unnecessary” movement. How do I explain to an arrogant, self-important cop or soldier at a roadblock that I’m going to a GP to ask some meds for my alcoholic father and mother, to help if they get the DT’s? In Africa? You must be joking. I’ll walk away with a huge fine, maybe get beaten up, and/or sleep in a holding cell till Monday at least, when the courts are open again. Just GOOGLE the atrocities already committed by soldiers and police during the lock-down here. A man beaten to death for having a beer in his own back-yard? Pets getting shot in the street? Infected (white)doctors - under self-imposed quarantine - arrested at their homes and taken to mass Detention Centres? And, and… I could go on for hours.
I’m not being frivolous when I tell you guys (often) that this is Africa. You don’t understand what is going on here. You don’t have a clue. Things here get done in a completely different way than in 1st world countries. The half-witted total ban on alcohol, for starters, is a good example.
I’m sorry. I really didn’t understand. I think I get it now, though. I wish you all the best, truly, in this trying time.
Old 04-18-2020, 10:13 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I can completely understand why you'd be grateful for that 1/2 bottle of brandy. It may well have saved them from the worst of abrupt withdrawal from drinking. Not sure I join you in wishing for the Monday bootleg to arrive, but hey, I'm living here in the US safely away from your situation (and from any sort of half-witted leadership, lol).

I'm glad the eggshells can be avoided in your tiny quarters. Wish I could think of a way to exercise the dogs! Any stairs around you can run up n down with them?

Thank you for being a friend, rb. Means a lot to me.

O