Notices

non alcoholic beer

Old 04-15-2020, 06:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

non alcoholic beer

I've found that switching to this has helped a lot. Granted it may keep a person craving the real ones but at least there is no alcohol in them.

Sipping one right now while working from home.

Has anyone found these drinks helpful?

Another trick was to wait till it was my round in a big drinking session with mates and make my drink the non alcoholic one to give me a bit of respite for one round. No one is any the wiser.
Old 04-15-2020, 06:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thought you didn't "drink" at home?

This topic comes up a lot.

Most of us see no reason to poke that bear. Looks like, smells like, tastes like. Dangerous game and there are so many other more tasty, nutritious things to drink.
Old 04-15-2020, 06:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I personally never saw the point- simply too close to the real thing for comfort. I have known a few friends who drink them occasionally but I wouldn't feel comfortable, not really for the reason that there may be very small amounts of alcohol but I just don't see the point. I drank beer to get drunk, period! It's like holding onto a corner of the towel still.
Old 04-15-2020, 06:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

They still have alcohol. Anything mimicking the real deal is a no go in my book.
Old 04-15-2020, 07:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

the alcohol content is 0.05% and apparently orange juice is 0.07%.

I do drink this stuff at home as I treat it like a soft drink - it'a also much better for you than coke or sugary drinks. It gets me by because in the younger years i would have a real one instead.

I hope it helps some people but if they choose to avoid it that might also be a good idea x
Old 04-15-2020, 07:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Grateful

I tried NA beer during a shaky time in my sobriety back in 2004. I bought a 6 pack one day at the grocery store on an impulse and decided I would drink one NA beer a day. Two days later the 6 pack was gone. I drank 2 the first day and 4 the second day and gave up that experiment. I relapsed later that year after 7 years sober and I didn't get sober again for 8 years. I don't directly link the NA beer to my relapse, but in hindsight it was probably a warning sign that I was not doing what I needed to do to stay sober.
Old 04-15-2020, 09:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by binger81 View Post
Granted it may keep a person craving the real ones...
There you go. It's why I don't drink them.
Old 04-15-2020, 09:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
AA member

I was told in early recovery,non alcoholic beer is for non alcoholics.
Old 04-15-2020, 09:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

it'a also much better for you than coke or sugary drinks.
Maybe it's better for YOU.

It's not better for Me.

I don't drink sugary drinks, either, though. I haven't had a Coke or any other carbonated sugary drink in over a decade. I don't even drink fruit juice any more. Whole fruit only. I do have one cup of homemade coffee and one glass of iced tea daily for a grand total of two teaspoons of sugar (or eight grams.) That's well within WHO guidelines for added sugar.

One 12 ounce O'doules non-alcoholic beer has more carbs than that....15 net carbs.

33g in a 12 ounce Coke.
Old 04-15-2020, 10:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
nez

No. Merely delayed my start date in recovery. The only tricks I found were the ones being played on me by alcohol.
Old 04-15-2020, 11:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by binger81 View Post
I've found that switching to this has helped a lot. Granted it may keep a person craving the real ones but at least there is no alcohol in them.

Sipping one right now while working from home.

Another trick was to wait till it was my round in a big drinking session with mates and make my drink the non alcoholic one to give me a bit of respite for one round. No one is any the wiser.
I never cared for the taste of beer and only drank it to get drunk.

Ultimately only you can decide if drinking non-alcoholic beer is a slippery slope or not.

Personally, I don't attempt anything tricky with booze When I buy cough medicine for example or any other medication I do my best to make sure alcohol isn't used.

I've been sober over 27 years and still notice bars in an airport as I walk past or when my wife doesn't finish her drink in a restaurant.
Old 04-15-2020, 03:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've been sober over 27 years and still notice bars in an airport as I walk past or when my wife doesn't finish her drink in a restaurant.

Same here. I'm sober 10 years and I still notice when people don't finish their drinks and wonder "how do they do that?"
Old 04-15-2020, 03:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
nez

Originally Posted by nez View Post
No. Merely delayed my start date in recovery. The only tricks I found were the ones being played on me by alcohol.
After reading my post, thought I would clear up any questions as to why it delayed my start date in recovery...it was because drinking non-alcoholic beer always wound up with me going back to beer with alcohol in it. I relapsed every single time.
Old 04-15-2020, 04:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

This topic comes up a lot.

Originally Posted by Dee74
I'm probably repeating myself in this thread but here goes

I don't drink NA beer because it looked like beer, felt like a can of beer, it smelt like beer, it had that same condensation thing on the can like a beer, the same fizz and foam when you pop the can, tasted like beer (kinda)....

Then I'd wonder why I'd go out everytime and get 'real' beer.

I was still knee deep in old behaviours, and didn't even realise it.

As a former beer drinker I know it ticks all the boxes for me, and opens the door to old behaviour and old thought patterns.

maybe ask yourself why would you choose NA beer when there's so many other things to drink, though?

If you being social is somehow connected to your drinking (and NA beer is drinking without the alcohol) then you're making a big rod for your back.

You can learn to be social without a crutch.

I look at the whole NA beer thing like tethering a dog...he can run around a little but he can still only run in circles.

why not get rid of the tether altogether?
Old 04-15-2020, 04:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I wouldn’t risk it! But you have to do what’s best for you!
Old 04-15-2020, 04:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

By the end of it I was I guess what you might call a beer snob. Especially with the explosion of craft breweries here in America. I also loved lots of the stuff from Belgium and Germany. That chapter is done and I don't even want to attempt to replace it with something fake.

Besides that it probably has lots of sugar. I only get so many cheat meals.

At home and socially I drink lots of seltzer, preferably flavored. It's got that refreshing kick, taste better then lots of the popular crap that passes for beer, and 0 calories.

Sometimes at functions where normal people are drinking and talking relaxed it sort of rubs off on me as I sip my seltzer and think wow, I forgot I'm not drinking too, and I'm fine with it. I use to be all nuts and filled with anxiety at these things, needing a drink as quickly as possible.
Old 04-15-2020, 07:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
luring sobriety this way with my lucky charm

I thought about trying non-alcoholic wine, because part of my personal psychological problem is the "atmosphere" and the "culture" of wine, and there are pretentious California wines that have been dealcoholized so that people with my specific issue can enjoy the culture and feel wine without imbibing...but I have yet to do so.

I have heard that there's one in particular that is very good, but others just might as well be overpriced grape juice.

I disagree with the people telling you not to drink it because it's 0.05 alcohol and might trigger you to drink...I have NEVER had an urge to drink after drinking kombucha (which is also 0.05% alcohol or less) in fact, I think sometimes the acrid taste of kombucha keeps me from craving that quality that only alcohol has. Almost like it's cleansing. I've got no issues being triggered to drink wine after a bottle or two low-no alcohol kombuchas. In fact the very opposite (the problem is drinking the higher alcohol ones for adults, as if they have as few consequences as the mainstream ones that are safe enough for children).

I am of a very strong belief that there are different types of problem drinkers. My therapist agrees with me. People who have mostly a psychological or "narrative" around drinking that isn't a daily problem yet, might actually do well transitioning on to non-alcohol beers and wines for the "feel" and "aesthetic" and "flavor." However, if the smell of hand sanitizer makes you want to go on a bender, the answer is no, no O'Doul's for you.

Pretending there isn't this distinction serves literally no one.
Old 04-15-2020, 07:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
luring sobriety this way with my lucky charm

Originally Posted by RecklessDrunk View Post
By the end of it I was I guess what you might call a beer snob. Especially with the explosion of craft breweries here in America. I also loved lots of the stuff from Belgium and Germany. That chapter is done and I don't even want to attempt to replace it with something fake.

Besides that it probably has lots of sugar. I only get so many cheat meals.

At home and socially I drink lots of seltzer, preferably flavored. It's got that refreshing kick, taste better then lots of the popular crap that passes for beer, and 0 calories.

Sometimes at functions where normal people are drinking and talking relaxed it sort of rubs off on me as I sip my seltzer and think wow, I forgot I'm not drinking too, and I'm fine with it. I use to be all nuts and filled with anxiety at these things, needing a drink as quickly as possible.
I had a friend who was like me who was more of a "snobby" drinker like me, and she drank kombucha throughout her pregnancy without being triggered to endanger her unborn child. A lot of bars and restaurants in Callfornia offer Kombucha before they even offer cola or liquor now. It's like beer, wine, or kombucha - because kombucha seems to satisfy a lot of aesthetic "foodie" types of drinkers. I went through a phase where I drank a lot of La Croix, but the problem is that I never drank a lot of mixed drinks, and only drank beer or cider on hot days or special occasions. Wine is a very specific kind of thing to remedy, but I have seen people literally keep a bottle of straight-up Welch's grape juice "for the antioxidants" in a special glass.
Old 04-15-2020, 09:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am of a very strong belief that there are different types of problem drinkers. My therapist agrees with me. People who have mostly a psychological or "narrative" around drinking that isn't a daily problem yet, might actually do well transitioning on to non-alcohol beers and wines for the "feel" and "aesthetic" and "flavor." However, if the smell of hand sanitizer makes you want to go on a bender, the answer is no, no O'Doul's for you.

Pretending there isn't this distinction serves literally no one.
I can see why the idea that there are different types of drinkers appeals to some of us, but it doesn't fit my experience.

I've been everything from an easy drunk, to a weekend warrior, to drinking nightly and eventually an all day every day drinker.

I don't think I was any particular type of drinker in all those periods - looking back now it's more like, to me, like plot points on a graph named Alcoholism.

your interpretation may of course vary -but I think my experience probably serves as much people as yours does

D
Old 04-15-2020, 11:07 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
EndGame

Breaking up is hard to do.

I tried it a few times after I was sober for a few years. Nothing good about it for me.

It's great if it helps people, but how and when do you know that? Seems like it's too much of a gamble.