Notices

non alcoholic beer

Old 04-16-2020, 01:12 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

One thing i've noticed is that non alcoholic beer has got really really good in the last 3 years. Before that it was kinda horrible. The Heineken 0.0 is very nice and might even taste better than the real one.
Very refreshing as someone above said especially on a hot day.

There are also beers that are 0.5% but again this is not enough to even feel it - you could drink 8 of them and still feel no effect and still able to drive etc..

The sale of these 0% beers have sky rocketed in the last few years as younger people are becoming more health conscious.

Only you can decide if it works for your situation. :-)
Old 04-16-2020, 01:58 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Never saw the point - even when I was drinking I would prefer a soft drink or a soda water to a NA beer. Now I'm not drinking trying one would just reinforce old habits in my mind.
Old 04-16-2020, 02:28 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no problem with this being a topic again, but lets not trigger people by talking about how refreshing or nice tasting NA beers are.

Read the room and think about your SR neighbours,

Dee
Administrator
SR

2. Outside Agendas: No posts of an overtly political or religious nature OR posts promoting advocacy of particular personal, medical, legal, religious, political, or non-profit causes. The forums are intended for offering mutual personal support related to recovery from addiction or recovery for family and friends. This is our primary purpose. Debating controversial subjects should be taken elsewhere. Limited references are allowed, but the forums should not be used to convert others. Do not post content or links or materials to and from sites that flame someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program/method. It is inappropriate to promote the use of alcohol or drugs on our addiction recovery forums.
Old 04-16-2020, 02:32 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I have no problem with this being a topic again, but lets not trigger people by talking about how refreshing or nice tasting NA beers are.

Read the room and think about your SR neighbours,

Dee
Administrator
SR
It could cause more harm than good in some people but what about those who have never tried it and are currently drinking the real ones? Could there be an oppertunity to switch and effectivly quit taking the drug?

x
Old 04-16-2020, 03:00 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey Binger,

I'm not going to debate with you, man

I'm not blind to the fact that others drink NA beer and are quite adamant they do ok drinking it on occasion.

I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone replace drinking real beer with NA beer, drink them the same way as real beer, and stay sober longterm, but maybe those folks exist too.

Like I said I have no trouble with a thread like this existing - its a pretty perennial subject.

Everyone knows what my personal position is, but as an Admin I won't shut down threads just because I don't like them.

I will shut them down if I think we're breaking a rule, I'm spending too much time breaking up fights or if I get a lot of PMs from people telling me they're triggered.

I'd have to think really carefully if this thread was in the Newcomers forum, for example, but it's not.

As long as we're not triggering anyone, knock yourself out.

D
Old 04-16-2020, 03:29 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

good job. Can safely say i'm not triggered and hoping others aren't.

I came to this forum to talk about the subject of alcohol and also see what other people's opinion and exerpences are with it.

thanks x
Old 04-16-2020, 03:57 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

binger,

This forum isn't intended to talk about alcohol. It's intended to talk about sobriety, as evidenced by the name.

I know I can ignore your posts if I wish to do so, but I find myself following along to see what your game is.

Sounds like maybe you had the wrong impression of what this site is? That's confounding to me as you're posting in a forum entitled "Alcoholism...

Anyway, if you want to talk about beer and near beer and their various attributes, availability at this time or lack thereof, etc... surely there's a place on the web you'd find people more engaged along your lines of thinking?

O
Old 04-16-2020, 04:18 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Obladi View Post
binger,

This forum isn't intended to talk about alcohol. It's intended to talk about sobriety, as evidenced by the name.

I know I can ignore your posts if I wish to do so, but I find myself following along to see what your game is.

Sounds like maybe you had the wrong impression of what this site is? That's confounding to me as you're posting in a forum entitled "Alcoholism...

Anyway, if you want to talk about beer and near beer and their various attributes, availability at this time or lack thereof, etc... surely there's a place on the web you'd find people more engaged along your lines of thinking?

O

surely a substitue for the real thing could be considered progress for some people?

its part of alcoholism.

On a smoking forum it would be fine to suggest switching to E cigarettes even if it meant the person was going to keep using them for the rest of their life - they are now off the real ones.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:14 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

sure. could be considered progress for some by some.
the idea of a substitute for the "real thing" nicely keeps alive the importance of the "real thing".

no use arguing about this. if you want to drink whatever, you will.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:49 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by binger81 View Post
surely a substitue for the real thing could be considered progress for some people?

its part of alcoholism.

On a smoking forum it would be fine to suggest switching to E cigarettes even if it meant the person was going to keep using them for the rest of their life - they are now off the real ones.

I'm not sure about that. If someone drinks coffee but it's keeps them up at night they can switch to decaf and it's all good. It's not the buzz but the taste and a habit of drinking coffee during the evening they like.

The same with NA beer. A person enjoys drinking beer with dinner or while watching TV during the evening. However for whatever the reason they decide to cut down on the alcohol content. They switch to NA beer because it's not necessarily the buzz (which they can do without) but the taste they enjoy.

But for the alcoholic this isn't always the case. They might enjoy the taste of beer but take away the buzz and the enjoyment may not last as long as they think.

Then its back to the real thing.
Old 04-16-2020, 11:16 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ken33xx View Post
I'm not sure about that. If someone drinks coffee but it's keeps them up at night they can switch to decaf and it's all good. It's not the buzz but the taste and a habit of drinking coffee during the evening they like.

The same with NA beer. A person enjoys drinking beer with dinner or while watching TV during the evening. However for whatever the reason they decide to cut down on the alcohol content. They switch to NA beer because it's not necessarily the buzz (which they can do without) but the taste they enjoy.

But for the alcoholic this isn't always the case. They might enjoy the taste of beer but take away the buzz and the enjoyment may not last as long as they think.

Then its back to the real thing.
nicely put. The bit in bold is me in a nutshell. Also do like decaffinated coffee for the same reason.
Old 04-16-2020, 07:56 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Remember we deal with alcohol. Cunning, baffling, powerful.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:13 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by binger81 View Post
Only you can decide if it works for your situation. :-)
My bias is that drinking non-alcoholic beer is another version of controlled drinking. If not, I would be curious to know what else it might be?

It is at least passingly disturbing to me that you've become familiar with different versions of non-alcoholic beer, as though comparing vintage wine. Your post has characteristics of a love letter. It is a positive review for what many people believe is not worth the high risk with the potential for very little return. What would you lose if you were to stop drinking NA beer?

As an alcoholic, I am the last person to decide what does and does not "work" for me if I'm drinking NA beer based on it being so refreshing and objectively harmless. Again, controlled drinking.

If we know -- and/or simply dismiss -- the danger in which we place ourselves when fooling around with a serviceable substitute for that which, in many cases, almost destroyed us, why would deciding whether or not to drink NA beer ever come up? Why would it? Curiosity moves us, but overstaying our visit can have serious consequences. What would you lose?

If I weren't an alcoholic, my response would likely be received as an overreaction. And I might agree. But, as I have jokingly stated in at least a couple of previous posts since I've been around, I didn't really come here for the gift shop. I came here to ask for help and support for putting down and living without something that was killing me. And maybe I helped some people along the way.

After twenty-five years of sobriety, followed by a three-year death-defying relapse, and now after eight-and-a-half more years of sobriety, I'm still working on it.
Old 04-17-2020, 01:10 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
ZIP

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
There you go. It's why I don't drink them.
Ditto. If I have one, I'll have three.

Then, I'll go buy an IPA six-pack. But, that''s just me...
Old 04-19-2020, 12:59 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

This is like asking if my drink of choice was bourbon and Seven-Up, would it be okay for me to drink straight Seven-Up? From what I've seen and experienced regarding NA beer is it's not what your drinking, but rather where you're drinking it. I drank it by the buckets when I quit drinking. Eventually lost interest in the stuff because it wasn't what I wanted. If you're drinking it in a bar with all your drunk buddies, I wouldn't be real optimistic about the chances of staying sober. I've seen that one too many times, and I don't know if it's ever worked.
Old 04-19-2020, 03:26 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pinkcuda View Post
This is like asking if my drink of choice was bourbon and Seven-Up, would it be okay for me to drink straight Seven-Up? From what I've seen and experienced regarding NA beer is it's not what your drinking, but rather where you're drinking it. I drank it by the buckets when I quit drinking. Eventually lost interest in the stuff because it wasn't what I wanted. If you're drinking it in a bar with all your drunk buddies,[B] I wouldn't be real optimistic about the chances of staying sober. I've seen that one too many times, and I don't know if it's ever worked.[/B]
i've had days like that and I did stick to the non alcohol beer. However, it is tempting i agree.
Old 04-20-2020, 06:05 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Putting down the drink meant changing my life. Swinging on a bottle of fake beer is not changing . It’s just a tease and it doesn’t help me at all. To each his own.
Old 04-20-2020, 06:20 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

it appears it doens't work for most drinkers and it can do more harm than good.

Changed my opinion on it somewhat. It still works for me however and i've cut down because of it.
Old 04-20-2020, 05:12 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're beginning to back away from your original position, binger81 -seems like as good a place as any to stop.

This thread has had a good run considering quite a number of members have misgivings about the topic.

I think both sides have been adequately covered now tho.
We'll only be repeating ourselves if we go on.

Thread Closed.

Dee
Administrator
SR