Notices

Searching for a fix...

Old 04-06-2020, 09:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Searching for a fix...

I see them when I walk to the supermarket for bread almost every day. Men and women in cars, driving slow and aimlessly, obviously looking for something. And I know what. They’re searching for places they can buy booze and/or cigarettes illegally. Friends and family phone my dad daily to ask if he doesn’t perhaps have a bottle or two to spare/sell? All or most are addicts looking for a “fix”. I know, because if I hadn’t stopped drinking on the 12th of December last year, I would be one of them. Driving and searching, or phoning and asking with a little laugh while I felt like climbing the walls…
Typical of the ANC government, they had to show the rest of the world that in Africa, we always go one better; (or worse – as it turns out the majority of times). So they banned the sale of alcohol and cigarettes for the duration of the lock-down (three weeks to start with), with the justification that smoking can “make it easier for someone to catch the virus”; and that alcohol will cause more violence in people’s homes…
What they did not reckon with, is that their so-called gender-based violence has more than doubled; an addict in forced withdrawal is a lot more violent than a drunk, apparently. And that those who can afford it, still drink; they simply buy their booze on the black-market – which is thriving…

117 Days free of alcohol and thankful…
Old 04-07-2020, 04:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This quarantine would've been very difficult for me 3-4 months in. You're doing it though. You don't have to be "those people" anymore. I know it may seem pointless at times but try to focus on the positive things (however small) this might be doing to your community and humanity as a whole.

Truthfully I still willingly surround myself with addicts in the environment I work in, and understand all too well it can bring out a drive for survival in its most anamilstic form. This break has been a much needed breath of healing air from that. I have to think people are being forced to confront their issues (of all kinds) now.. some will make it and others won't but either way this can be a starting point for lasting change if used constructively.