Notices

1 week sober

Old 04-04-2020, 06:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1 week sober

This is the first time in years I haven’t had a drink in at least a week. The first 3-4 days were rough - night sweats, anxiety, etc. But today I feel great and have such a clear head. I am in a good mood, and feel great in the mornings. I haven’t had anxiety at all today, which is a first in a long time. I can tell I have less inflammation and am less bloated. I don’t know what next month will be like, but I know today, I am sober. Tomorrow is another day to conquer and am looking forward to more sober days ahead.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your week NB

D
Old 04-04-2020, 06:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great job on your week sobriety! That first week or two can be awful all right. It gets better
Old 04-04-2020, 07:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

that sounds great, NB!
Old 04-04-2020, 07:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Spectacular! You’ve just done the hardest part. Keep going - you deserve it.
Old 04-04-2020, 07:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi NewBeginnings17,

I read some of your other posts. I got about 20 years on you. You sound like me in my late 30's and 40's. I'm 52 now. I hope you quit brother while your young. The only thing I can give you as a fact it will only get freaking worse, guaranteed!

I'm only on day 3 so probably don't have killer advice. Most outsiders looking in on me would be how like is this guy at rock bottom. No DWI's, nothing really lost except my sanity, a bad relationship, 1000's of crazy incidences that are humiliating and embarrassing, no job loss etc. I have the anxiety depression you describe after a good binge.

I have two good buddies that quit and they both told me you got to have a plan. I tried to manage my drinking 1 year ago with help of an addiction counselor. We went over the managing part and I was Jesus this is like some PHD kind of math. I just blew that off and he kind of knew I did. I kept going to uncover reasons I do drink and it helped with my mind. But I continued to drink so not full on help. I told him last week it's time kick alcohol to the curb.

My plan is to continue seeing the counselor, not drink, work out a lot and I have 2 great friends who quit that I can bend their ears. They did not quit with AA and I am not planning on AA either. I will say this though if I feel I am failing in my above plan I am open to AA or anything else to quit this time.

Hope you got a plan and good luck your few days ahead of me.
Old 04-04-2020, 07:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on getting thru your first week sober! The first week can be rough, but it should start getting better, little by little.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Mr

Congratulations NB. 👍

You can do it too crown.
Just Keep going and posting your progress.

Onwards to recovery
Old 04-07-2020, 11:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by crown86 View Post
Hi NewBeginnings17,

I read some of your other posts. I got about 20 years on you. You sound like me in my late 30's and 40's. I'm 52 now. I hope you quit brother while your young. The only thing I can give you as a fact it will only get freaking worse, guaranteed!

I'm only on day 3 so probably don't have killer advice. Most outsiders looking in on me would be how like is this guy at rock bottom. No DWI's, nothing really lost except my sanity, a bad relationship, 1000's of crazy incidences that are humiliating and embarrassing, no job loss etc. I have the anxiety depression you describe after a good binge.

I have two good buddies that quit and they both told me you got to have a plan. I tried to manage my drinking 1 year ago with help of an addiction counselor. We went over the managing part and I was Jesus this is like some PHD kind of math. I just blew that off and he kind of knew I did. I kept going to uncover reasons I do drink and it helped with my mind. But I continued to drink so not full on help. I told him last week it's time kick alcohol to the curb.

My plan is to continue seeing the counselor, not drink, work out a lot and I have 2 great friends who quit that I can bend their ears. They did not quit with AA and I am not planning on AA either. I will say this though if I feel I am failing in my above plan I am open to AA or anything else to quit this time.

Hope you got a plan and good luck your few days ahead of me.
Thank you so much for the insight. That does sound a lot like me currently. I don't have any DWI's, I have a great job that I love and have been promoted a few times, and a great family. But I do have many embarrassing times I can look back on, and mistakes I have made because of alcohol that has hurt others. Not to mention the physical toll it has taken on me (worse reflux, weight gain, terrrible anxiety attacks, minor injuries, etc).

I am currently halfway through my 2nd week sober, and I feel great. It took a few days to feel better, but I am in a good place right now. My anxiety seems to have subsided (my wife is thrilled about, as am I), and I have more energy. I am finally looking forward to doing things that alcohol never let me do - get back into shape, dive into my hobbies more, and spend more time enjoying my family. I am looking forward to more sober days ahead.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi, NB. Congrats on your first week. I’m not a long way into my own sobriety (118 days), but even this early – and even counting the bad days – I can tell you that each day gets better, and easier. Just hang in there and never stop counting. Each day counts, and the more you pile up, the harder it will get to allow yourself to lose them (again).
Old 04-08-2020, 06:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats
Old 04-09-2020, 01:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well done on a week sober.
Old 04-09-2020, 04:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well done on your week - as others have said, it just gets better from now.
Old 04-09-2020, 05:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NewBeginnings17 View Post
This is the first time in years I haven’t had a drink in at least a week. The first 3-4 days were rough - night sweats, anxiety, etc. But today I feel great and have such a clear head. I am in a good mood, and feel great in the mornings. I haven’t had anxiety at all today, which is a first in a long time. I can tell I have less inflammation and am less bloated. I don’t know what next month will be like, but I know today, I am sober. Tomorrow is another day to conquer and am looking forward to more sober days ahead.
FANTASTIC! What an amazing gift to yourself. You should be so proud!