Notices

I'm back.. I relapsed ☹️

Old 04-03-2020, 07:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm back.. I relapsed ☹️

So I was last on here about a year ago, after I managed to quit drinking for nearly 3 months whilst I was off sick from work with work related stress. Yep and almost as soon as I went back to work I started drinking again which turned into daily again. I've realised now that I need to find a new job asap as it's clearly issues at work that are causing me stress and leading me to drink. Due to the Covid-19 outbreak I've spent the last 2 weeks working from home and my stress levels have gone right down.. I've realised it's certain people at work that are causing me stress, not just the work itself. Being away from these people has made me realise how toxic they are. There are several people like this at work it's a very toxic environment. I've decided to apply for the next job that comes up even if it's bottom grade , I just want to be happy and out of the toxic department I work in. My last drink was Tuesday night & I've gone cold turkey . I feel crap got bad headaches insomnia and diarrhea, but apparently the first 72 hours are the worst. Wish me luck I defo want to kick the habit this time. I never want to feel like this again ☹️
Old 04-03-2020, 07:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good luck and glad you posted.

It looks like you will be able to work from home for quite a time. Maybe the job will feel better and better under these conditions--I would be very careful quitting a job in today's climate of uncertainty.

However, I absolutely support you in doing whatever it takes to stay sober.

Write down in detail how you feel now, because you will feel better soon, and that's when temptation starts again. When it does, take out the description you've written, and read it over and over to remind you of how bad it is right now.

Hang in ther Bright. You can beat this!
Old 04-03-2020, 02:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Hawkeye 😊 I feel sure I can quit this time.. Previously when I tried to quit I felt like I'd lost a friend, as if an emotional crutch had been kicked from under me. I don't feel that way this time. I feel like it's an enemy not a friend. I wasn't enjoying it any more. I'd gotten to drinking a full bottle of wine per day on some stretches . Waking up with taste of alcohol in my mouth. I've now got rid out of sight all the things that remind me of drinking. Such as my wine glasses. Won't be drinking from them any more. Tomorrow I'm going to stock up on soft drinks that I like. Thanks for the support 👍
Old 04-03-2020, 02:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Brightsky - I'm so glad you came back to talk about what's going on. Sometimes we need further proof that it does nothing for us - brings only misery. You should start to feel better soon.
Old 04-03-2020, 03:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back brightsky

the good thing from all this is that you've identified a problem - stress - and that your coping measure - alcohol - is not satisfactory.

If nothing else, this is a great time to think of new ways to deal with stress and implement them.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...44-stress.html (Stress)
Old 04-03-2020, 06:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Brightsky, I'm glad that you recognize where most of your stress is coming from and that you are open to changing jobs to make the situation better. For now, you probably don't need to rush to change things because it looks like working at home could go on for awhile. But, keep your focus and make the changes you need to make in your life to support your recovery.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks 😊 and those stress articles really helped. I'm actually going back to work on a unit from Monday but it's without most of the toxic people, its a different team I've been redeployed to. I've also distanced a couple of toxic people in my personal life and reconnected with a couple of nice friends who I know won't ridicule me if I say I'm not drinking.
Old 04-04-2020, 01:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

All smart actions. Plan what to do instead of drinking if you get strong cravings.

My strategy was a hike and pint of quality ice cream as first defense
Old 04-05-2020, 12:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Just my experience, ut a lot of people thought, quite reasonably, that my drinking was caused by external circumstances. With their encouragement I made some changes over time. I first tried a change of girl friend, then a change of jobs. Then I shifted to a new town but only lasted a few months before I was chased out.

I then made a move to a completely new town, new job, new friends, a totally fresh start. The police came and arrested me and marched me out of that job. The court action from that sent me off to the nut farm for a spell.

Another fresh start in sheltered accommodation (I needed to take better care of my self) . They could not have made it easier to stay sober. Good food and living with sober people. Got thrown out for drinking, went North to relatives and withing a few months no one in the family would have anything to do with me.

I eventually woke up to the fact that it was not external events causing me to drink, it was internal. Wherever I went I took my alcoholism with me, and my problems just followed me around. It was me, not them, and when I took action to straighten myself out, the people around me seemed to get a helluva lot nicer.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome back Brightsky and it's really good that you can recognise your triggers, that's a big part of the battle won. If you get the urge to drink, make S.R your first port of call and let us help you.
You can do it, we're all here for you. xx
Old 04-10-2020, 12:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Samantha

Welcome back.
Old 04-10-2020, 02:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What's up BSky?
Old 04-14-2020, 02:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

do those toxic people take you out for drinks or encourage you to drink?
Old 04-14-2020, 03:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome back Brightsky Glad you posted & hope you find a better job where you're more comfortable. I know what it's like to work at a place like that!