Notices

I want to change

Old 03-30-2020, 02:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I want to change

I’m 31 and have a history of binge drinking. I was having anxiety all day yesterday, so I decided to take a few shots then start drinking beers to take the edge off. Fast forward 10 beers, and another 2 shots to the morning, I have a massive panic attack that brought me to my knees. Broke out into a sweat, hands, ears and tongue go numb and tingle, I feel extremely lightheaded and short of breath.

I tend to turn to alcohol to cope with generalized anxiety, I also take lexapro daily. I’m to the point in my life where my anxiety is taking over my life, which makes me just want to drink.

My wife is being induced in 9 days with our daughter, my job is slow and stressful, and this pandemic is taking my anxiety to a new level. I don’t know how to cope.

I want to stop drinking, it’s done nothing but cause me misery with my anxiety, panic attacks, weight gain, stress on marriage, and many other things.

I’d love to hear from someone on how I can cope with this anxiety and kick alcohol to the curb.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hi Newbeginnings!

For me, alcohol actually caused much of the stress in my life. Getting off alcohol took several days of discomfort, but it was worth it. Don't make things more difficult during this difficult time--get the alcohol out of your life!
Old 03-30-2020, 03:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For me booze was the No. 1 source of my anxiety, though I hated facing up to that fact when it seemed like the solution. I used to have A LOT of anxiety and panic. I don't anymore.

Stay close to here, post often, and try and build some sober time as best you can in these times.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey NB

are you open to the idea of online meetings - AA or SMART etc ? I'd be throwing everything I had at this, including regular posts here - your family needs a sober Dad and husband

D
Old 03-30-2020, 10:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Please be careful mixing alcohol and SSRI's.. Wishing you the best..

This came off a healthcare site..

Finally, when you drink it temporarily spikes your serotonin levels, which is why it can initially make you feel good. That can mean that you experience too much serotonin when alcohol is mixed with SSRIs, which can lead to serotonin syndrome. Symptoms of serotonin syndrome can include high blood pressure, agitation, muscle twitching and diarrhea.

Summing Up—What To Know About Alcohol and SSRIs
Can you drink alcohol while on SSRIs or antidepressants? The general recommendation with alcohol and SSRIs is that you shouldn’t combine them. Alcohol and SSRIs together can lead to side effects ranging from drowsiness to impaired thinking.
Also, alcohol can make the underlying symptoms of depression or anxiety worse, so it could seem like your medicine isn’t working when in reality alcohol is making it more difficult to treat your depression or anxiety.
Old 03-31-2020, 04:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There are many we hear about, read about who have
died with an autopsy saying there was a mixture of
alcohol and drugs in their system. Right?

Drugs, meds, and alcohol don't mix well together. As
we have heard countless times, it is a toxic and many
times a deadly combination.

There are many helpful recovery program available to
all to help folks learn and remain sober a day at a time.

Using your physicians is also available to help improve
our health as we go thru life. We use them by being completely
honest with them about our addictions and recovery so
they can treat us properly and live a healthy quality of life
moving forward.

Sending care, support and understanding your way.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

9 days is ample time to get over the alcohol you've had. You can also start to manage your anxiety in such a time too.
Booze always makes me more anxious.
But I tell you, that first time you beat a bout of anxiety without drinking is a great feeling.
I always recommend CBT to people who worry about anxiety.

Wishing you well.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
sober style

The book 10% Happier by Dan Harris helped me a lot with my anxiety issues. It advocates a very basic meditation method that anyone can do, even fidgety skeptics. (That was the title of the sequel btw lol, true story.)

It goes without saying that alcohol itself is a huge anxiety engine. Sobriety takes skillful work, attention, and lots of practice. Keep at it, keep working out the kinks. These really are life or death matters.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RecklessEric View Post
9 days is ample time to get over the alcohol you've had. You can also start to manage your anxiety in such a time too.
Booze always makes me more anxious.
But I tell you, that first time you beat a bout of anxiety without drinking is a great feeling.
I always recommend CBT to people who worry about anxiety.

Wishing you well.
Thank you for the encouraging words. Today I woke up completely drenched in sweat and exhausted even though I slept well for 9 hours. I want to get better, it’s going to be tough.
Old 03-31-2020, 12:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Alcohol only adds to anxiety. Give yourself a break. You deserve it.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Just remember this - alcoholism is always, always, always progressive. It will get worse in time if you are indeed alcoholic or are actively developing alcoholism - the episodes will grow longer, the time you pickup earlier, the amount you drink daily greater. If you lick it now you're going to have a much easier time of it than after another 5, 10 or 15 years of holding onto it. Keep exploring sobriety and take it one day at a time. Get some local support if you can. Best to you.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhySoSirius View Post
Just remember this - alcoholism is always, always, always progressive. It will get worse in time if you are indeed alcoholic or are actively developing alcoholism - the episodes will grow longer, the time you pickup earlier, the amount you drink daily greater. If you lick it now you're going to have a much easier time of it than after another 5, 10 or 15 years of holding onto it. Keep exploring sobriety and take it one day at a time. Get some local support if you can. Best to you.
This really hit home with me and needed to hear it. I have been drinking for about 12 years, and it has progressed slowly but surely. The last 5 years, I’ve had the worst panic episodes of my life following a night of drinking. I think my new life of being a dad, will be a sober one.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hey NB

are you open to the idea of online meetings - AA or SMART etc ? I'd be throwing everything I had at this, including regular posts here - your family needs a sober Dad and husband

D
I am definitely open to online meetings. I will look into those that you mentioned. I am also going to stay close to this forum as it gives me hopes. Thank you
Old 04-03-2020, 07:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have anxiety too....most addicts do. Alcohol worked to ease my anxiety....about a million years ago. Then it becomes the source of the anxiety. Rebound anxiety once the body becomes dependent....and it is far worse than the anxiety I was medicating many years ago.

Sounds to me like that is where you are. So detoxing off the alcohol is the first step. And yes, your anxiety will be crazy. If you can get some medical help, in the form of meds from your dr, that is ideal. But drinking on these meds is very dangerous so be committed. Tapering off alcohol is another approach....but honestly a tough one. Just talk to your dr, ok?

Coping mechanisms for anxiety. That is key. And believe me there are far better lifestyle choices than alcohol that will make your anxiety bearable. Exercise, clean diet, sleep (and lots of it). Therapy. Getting outside exercise. All sounds really difficult, much more effort than taking a drink. But drinking doesn't work. It never will.

Accepting that fact is the first step.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

If you want change, you're in the right place. Welcome
Old 04-09-2020, 08:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Glad you’re here.

When I was 31, I had horrible depression, anxiety (GAD) and alcoholism.

Okay, to be rigorously honest, I was addicted to Benzodiazepines also.

And, of course, a miserable wreck.

So, I asked for help with my drinking by going to a couple of addiction doctors (why did I really think I needed a second opinion?) and entering into treatment for 35 days.

This was in the rather embryonic stages of the development of antidepressant meds.

I got out and have been working the AA program ever since.

That was back in 1988.

I ultimately sought the help of a very eminent psychiatrist (21 years ago) and he was able to successfully treat my anxiety and depression.

I recommend you consider the path I followed.

Please stick around here and keep us posted.

All the best with your wife and child.