Notices

Seriously grossed out

Old 03-27-2020, 02:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Seriously grossed out

Don’t read Coronavirus news on your tablet while grabbing a Diet Coke out of the door of a fridge and take a long swig without looking at the can.

I’ve never spit out anything so fast in my life. Ever take a huge swig of a coors light after 2.5 years of sobriety????

He dumped the can out because he’s working from home, amused smile on his face. As for me, my heart is beating so fast right now, I still taste alcohol and feel like I want to throw up.

I like the classic DC but if it’s going to look that much like a beer can when I’m not paying attention I’m going to have to switch back to Coke Zero, and that’s disappointing.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Coors Light will do that to anyone.

Jus' sayin'.

Onward.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
coors light will do that to anyone.

Jus' sayin'.

Onward.
😂
Old 03-27-2020, 02:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

yuck
Old 03-27-2020, 10:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That was not fun and it creeped me out a little. After the long, arduous brainwashing I have done on myself, that was a bit like throwing back bleach. I have my thoughts here and there but when it comes right down to it, my aversion to it is palpable and the nausea is a visceral reaction. It was strange to see him laugh casually when inside I was kind of freaking out. It’s hard to understand for him I am sure.

Whatever. I guess. It’s not whatever that I had to spit out a sip of beer today, but I’ll move on.
Old 03-28-2020, 11:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I did something like that a couple of months ago except I swallowed a couple of times before my brain recognized what I was drinking and I spit out whatever I could. I was sort of in a panic and then calmed myself by reminding myself the alcohol buzz would pass quickly and then I would be okay in about the 10 minutes. The funny thing is I didn't get a buzz but got an elevated heartbeat, sweat and low grade headache for a few minutes before going back to normal. I now pay more attention to what Im grabbing and drinking when I know alcohol is likely to be around.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

How are you feeling Sassy? I wasn't sure if you tested positive for Covid or what the outcome was?
Old 03-30-2020, 12:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I tested negative, I found out at 11:30 last night.

I am no longer sick. Just sick in the head, as usual

I want to not go to work for a month. I’m just not sure I can do that and still have a job, later. And I like paychecks. It’s a conundrum.

Anyway, tomorrow when I tell the powers that be that I am negative, I will say that I’d prefer to be off. But that if I am needed I’ll work two days a week.

With a mask.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That's good! I'm sure you are relieved for the family too.

Are you a nurse? Man you guys should all be glad that I'm not a nurse. I could never do what folks are having to do.....never. I'm too much of a baby. I've seen people die, people close to me, but watching a lot of death and suffering, day in day out, would rip me up.

Massive gratitude to everyone fighting this on the front lines. That takes some serious grit.
Old 03-30-2020, 11:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Entropy; yes I am a nurse.

Not on the front lines, but nothing is certain now.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Grateful

Glad you tested negative Sassy, and I don't blame you for wanting to lay low. My ex-wife was a critical care nurse (neuro icu), my sister was a RN (hasn't practiced in ages) and her daughter, my niece, is a traveling critical care nurse who happens to be on the front lines right now. Her current gig is at Keck Hospital in LA. She's working in the "COVID unit", my sister sent me a pic of my niece in her full protective garb. Please be careful if/when you start seeing patients again and thank you for what you do!

As for the Coors Light, at least it was only a Coors Light...basically the same thing as water.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grungehead View Post
Glad you tested negative Sassy, and I don't blame you for wanting to lay low. My ex-wife was a critical care nurse (neuro icu), my sister was a RN (hasn't practiced in ages) and her daughter, my niece, is a traveling critical care nurse who happens to be on the front lines right now. Her current gig is at Keck Hospital in LA. She's working in the "COVID unit", my sister sent me a pic of my niece in her full protective garb. Please be careful if/when you start seeing patients again and thank you for what you do!

As for the Coors Light, at least it was only a Coors Light...basically the same thing as water.

Blessings to your niece.

Honestly: ANYONE on these front lines, no matter the discipline, working with covid-19 patients should be be in full on bunny suits with hoods and if they don’t have have that, they shouldn’t be there.

Take a look at the gear worn in Asia in the hospital. They no longer get infected there. Bunny suit goes on, and they don’t even go pee for four hours.

It’s a wonderful job. But is it worth our lives? Really?
Old 04-01-2020, 05:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
luring sobriety this way with my lucky charm

I'm glad to hear your test was negative, and I hope you stay safe if you do go back to work. Ultimately it's up to you, and if you really think you can't handle it, then that's your choice to make.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober since October 24, 1997

SASSY! Omigosh! Glad you dodged that bullet! Whew!

About ANYONE working hard and doing everything right to remain sober by avoiding booze, in the 22 + years since I quit, I discovered that the statistical odds are not in anyone's favor of completely avoiding ethanol through no fault of their own!

What about pure vanilla extract that is ~ 32% ethyl alcohol? You only use maybe a 1/2 teaspoon in a batch of cookies or a sheet cake, not enough to tie one on or even feel. It is a myth that it, and the ethyl alcohol in cooking wine like sherry, "cooks out". From my background university education and professional work, ethyl alcohol and water form a constant-boiling mixture (called an azeotrope) at 172.6ºF (78.1ºC ) that is far below the boiling point of water, so when you eat foods like gravy, soup and stew that have cooking sherry, and moist things like cakes and cookies with vanilla extract in them, you are still getting nearly all the ethyl alcohol, but granted, it is not a lot. When yeast bread dough rises, the yeast produces a little ethyl alcohol as well. I bake my own bread, and I can smell the ethyl alcohol in the fresh dough if I let the dough rise several hours. Overripe fruit that ripened on the tree, such as peaches and plums, have a little.

Your own body produces it via normal metabolic processes, just not much, and some of the natural organisms in your digestive system produce a little bit, too.

I quit worrying about minuscule amounts of ethyl alcohol a long time ago because the stuff is ubiquitous in what we come across in our diets. Sometimes my education and work as a chemist is a curse, I know about many, many more things than just alcohol that would just plain scare you half to death!

So, in my book, intent has an awful lot to do with it. Spit it out and then do something so it doesn't happen again. If you accidentally get enough in you so you do feel it, well, cross that bridge when you are crossing it. I don't normally go around telling others what to do, but it is something for every recovering alcoholic to make plans about before it ever happens.

I have never read any discussion here or in The Blue Book about making plans about how to avoid accidental ingestion and how to deal with the aftermath. I have thought about it and became aware of the inadvertent sources of intoxication, including sabotage by "friends". I know I wouldn't feel guilty about it because it wouldn't be a "slip" on my part. But I'd sure be both sad and mad!

I think you did well, Stayingsassy, you SOBER YOU!!! Take care!
Old 04-02-2020, 03:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It would have messed with my head too, Sassy. Don't worry about that. An for the record...Diet Coke tastes like windex, LOL ...Coke Zero and Classic coke-I can't tell the difference. Here, Coke Zero is 7.29 a 6 pack...more than the beer I used to drink!! So I usually get a 6 pack of Zero, and it'll last me a week.

Man....you're a nurse.....scary. Like, I don't know how you do that right now. Especially with the lack of resources. My hats off to you.

Well, other than including you in my nightly prayers to keep safe, I'm not sure I have any other words. Bet that I'll be saying daily prayers for you though. Even if it's selfish because this place NEEDS your wisdom.

I wish the medical community knew more about this. The reactions seem to vary person to person. It's like a roll of the dice and that's terrifying.

I wish you the best my friend. Please be safe.
Old 04-02-2020, 03:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BullDog777 View Post
It would have messed with my head too, Sassy. Don't worry about that. An for the record...Diet Coke tastes like windex, LOL ...Coke Zero and Classic coke-I can't tell the difference. Here, Coke Zero is 7.29 a 6 pack...more than the beer I used to drink!! So I usually get a 6 pack of Zero, and it'll last me a week.

Man....you're a nurse.....scary. Like, I don't know how you do that right now. Especially with the lack of resources. My hats off to you.

Well, other than including you in my nightly prayers to keep safe, I'm not sure I have any other words. Bet that I'll be saying daily prayers for you though. Even if it's selfish because this place NEEDS your wisdom.

I wish the medical community knew more about this. The reactions seem to vary person to person. It's like a roll of the dice and that's terrifying.

I wish you the best my friend. Please be safe.
I’ll accept those nightly prayers and then some. . Same to you, in this dystopian reality we seem to find ourselves in.

I’m definitely on the lower risk end as far as what I do, and I will not see patients without the N95 my middle daughter gave me (she bought some when California had the fires, and saved them!). Although I went to the office today for ppe training and NO ONE was wearing a mask.

Like the sassy one I am, they all got a mini lecture from me, because I am not “management who is trying to protect limited resources” I am one of them, and I’m going to tell my nurse friends flat out to put on a mask, especially In an office packed shoulder to shoulder with coworkers.

Some of them sheepishly pulled their masks out of their pockets.

Honestly people: if you’re from the western side of the world (in greater Asia they wear masks) , you all need to get immediately over the culturally generated weird feelings you have about wearing a mask and DONT LEAVE THE HOUSE WITHOUT IT.

Even if it’s a bandanna. The daughter who had N95’s for me is also sewing masks as we speak: for her friends, for us, for extended family. Even a fabric mask stops 30% of virus transmission, even more if you slip a coffee filter in it.

You’re safer with it. Just remember to remove it from the back without touching the front in any way, drop it in a paper bag (if it’s a medical mask) or wash in hot cycle if it’s cloth.

I’ll move on now. Be safe everyone.

And Bulldog with that diabetes of yours: keep your sugars down.